Learned something new today (now with a photo)

Help Support CattleToday:

NewCowboy

Reaction score
I learned to not wear flip flops to go "check" the cows. Even if you think it will be a quick drive through to see if there are any new calves.....wear appropriate footwear. It turned out that we had two cows that had gotten out into the deer patches to get to the green grass and when I tried to get them to go back through the gate that was down, I lost my shoes in all of the mud and fell. It was a hilarious show for all of my kids and one of their friends. When my 9 year old tried to help his poor mom up, he was laughing at me....so I just pulled him in along with me. Then I was laughing...He learned a lesson to :p ...we had a good day. I hope EVERYONE who is angry or posting mean comments or threats will think about what is important in life :secret: . We all have different opinions and operations, but it is fun to be able share our experiences, photos, and tips with each other. I appreciate all comments when my son or I have a question.

NewCowboy's Mom :pretty:

I envy your chance to wear flip flops at all (too darn cold here yet) but got a chuckle out of how you pulled the boy down too.

Sometimes the most fun had is when everyone's good and muddy!

Have to confess though that when I was first reading your post and came across "flip flops" and "cows", I figured it would be the "cow flops" between the toes that were the lesson learned. ;-)

Take care and keep yer boots on!

CattleAnnie":29kqiqnl said:
Have to confess though that when I was first reading your post and came across "flip flops" and "cows", I figured it would be the "cow flops" between the toes that were the lesson learned. ;-)

Take care and keep yer boots on!

That too! Will have boots left in the tack room from now on. It took quite a bath to get the mud out from under my toenails.....but you didn't need to know all of that now did you? :lol:

NCM

i go bare foot most of the time.

that reminds me of the time my mom fell in the boxwoods trying to step up on the porch. i was laughing to hard to help her. i realize i will probably go to he|| but i couldnt help it. glad she didnt get hurt but man, that still makes me laugh.

NewCowboy":i21o3yak said:
I learned to not wear flip flops to go "check" the cows.

I re-learn that lesson about every 4-6 weeks. Short memory span, I guess. :oops:

CattleAnnie, I've also learned the lesson about cow pies on numerous occasions, as well. Somehow I keep thinking the end result will vary each time. Not sure what's up with that. :roll:

NewCowboy":28plo6xc said:
I learned to not wear flip flops to go "check" the cows. Even if you think it will be a quick drive through to see if there are any new calves.....wear appropriate footwear. It turned out that we had two cows that had gotten out into the deer patches to get to the green grass and when I tried to get them to go back through the gate that was down, I lost my shoes in all of the mud and fell. It was a hilarious show for all of my kids and one of their friends. When my 9 year old tried to help his poor mom up, he was laughing at me....so I just pulled him in along with me. Then I was laughing...He learned a lesson to :p ...we had a good day. I hope EVERYONE who is angry or posting mean comments or threats will think about what is important in life :secret: . We all have different opinions and operations, but it is fun to be able share our experiences, photos, and tips with each other. I appreciate all comments when my son or I have a question.

NewCowboy's Mom :pretty:

I had to show my wife this one! I am always getting on to her and my kids for wearing flip flops and mules to go feed and light chores. They get mad at me about it. In your case it turned into a funny situation, but I am afraid something will happen, a cow step on a foot, or get chased by a bull or something that the slip on's could be a problem. Glad yours turned out to be a funny memorable situation for you guys!

aplusmnt":39w9um2u said:
I had to show my wife this one! I am always getting on to her and my kids for wearing flip flops and mules to go feed and light chores. They get mad at me about it. In your case it turned into a funny situation, but I am afraid something will happen, a cow step on a foot, or get chased by a bull or something that the slip on's could be a problem. Glad yours turned out to be a funny memorable situation for you guys!

I know, you are right. I had no intention of getting out of the mule (not the shoe or animal) to step into anything....or get near any animals, but there you go....you just never know with cows do you? They tend to realize you don't want to be in the pasture long and somehow make sure your visit is longer than expected.

NCM

aplusmnt":1sxqv0ra said:
...but I am afraid something will happen, a cow step on a foot, or get chased by a bull or something that the slip on's could be a problem. Glad yours turned out to be a funny memorable situation for you guys!

I wouldn't even consider going into the bulls pen with flip flops on, nor will I go into the corrals where the girls are calving with flip flops on. Neither of those situations will ever happen, my Mama didn't raise no flower children - I'm not a blooming idiot! ;-)

yeah and if you have on good clothes, say just got home from church or about to go, or you have on your favorite shirt you will have to pull a calf or get new calf poo on you or get stuck or something. if you have on shorts you will have to wade thru briars. if you have on heavy clothes you will have to get in the pond or run away screaming like a girl from a testy ma cow.

Beefy":sre7djq1 said:
yeah and if you have on good clothes, say just got home from church or about to go, or you have on your favorite shirt you will have to pull a calf or get new calf poo on you or get stuck or something. if you have on shorts you will have to wade thru briars. if you have on heavy clothes you will have to get in the pond or run away screaming like a girl from a testy ma cow.

If that isn't the truth, I don't know what is... :p LOL

Beefy":ub9b7fqt said:

So true! Even though I give my wife crap about the slip on shoes, I am bad about going out in shorts (she has never caught on to how this is about the same as slip ons, but I am not going to tell her ;-) ). Have cut the crap out of my legs, I can not believe how often you think you are just going out to mow yard or something simple and next thing you know you are in middle of a Brier patch.

I am with you cattle annie I am jealous about the flip flops too I don't know I would be able to wear them in the six inches of snow we are suppose to get today man I can't wait for warm weather

NCM,
The important thing I find with your post is , you shared a laugh with your kids. Too often people forget to take the time to laugh. Far too many would have went the other way, and gotten mad. Glad you shared with us. :cboy:

dj":149hk9eb said:
And where was that camera??

You asked for it.....I was not going to subject ya'll to that because you KNOW I had my camera if we were going to check to see if there was a new calf.....but here it is for a laugh.....Although, I was the picture taker, I wouldn't let their grimy hands on my camera :!: and my mud only consisted of a back end, legs, hands, and arms covered. They had a little more fun with it after we started something.

Friend and son Cole
IMG_0691_2_1_1.jpg

Two friends, and sons Dalton (NewCowboy) and Cole on the right
IMG_0692_1_1_1.jpg

I wear sandals and shorts to work all summer long. It drives my mother nuts. I do always take a pair of pants and runners though. Sometimes (unfortunately not always) I am smart enough to change before I go hiking through the woods to fix fences. :lol:

:clap: Thanks :clap:
Too much fun not to have pictures!

Latest posts