leaking tank(pond)

Help Support CattleToday:

cross_7

Reaction score
i had a tank go dry during the drought but it filled up in june and it must be leaking now as it was nearly dry last week so i was going to have it cleaned out and try to seal it.
we had a big rain saturday and filled it up again.
it there anything i can do to seal it while it's full ?

Cross, I would try several bags of bentonite (easiest, least expensive and fastest method), depending on the size of the pond. The bentonite tends to go to the source of the leak and plug it up. If that fails I would let the pond dry up up and bring in a few loads of clay soil and have it layered over the bottom. Stay away from the plastic liner sales gimmics. I have yet to hear of one of those being very dependable.

cross_7":7ndc5fi7 said:
i had a tank go dry during the drought but it filled up in june and it must be leaking now as it was nearly dry last week so i was going to have it cleaned out and try to seal it.
we had a big rain saturday and filled it up again.
it there anything i can do to seal it while it's full ?
YOu need some Bentonite. THey sell it out of Comanche Tx. Google it. It works pretty good. Get as much as you can afford.

I've always heard the old timers say get a bunch of hogs and let them waller all in it and they will seal it up. Never seen it done this way. :cowboy:

i agree with the bentonite i have built several ponds for people that had the wrong kind of dirt for a pond to hold but after they put a good amout of benonite in them they would seal pretty good. yes you can just fan it out over the water with a shovel or any better way you can think of.

James T":300814d7 said:
Cross, I would try several bags of bentonite (easiest, least expensive and fastest method), depending on the size of the pond. The bentonite tends to go to the source of the leak and plug it up. If that fails I would let the pond dry up up and bring in a few loads of clay soil and have it layered over the bottom. Stay away from the plastic liner sales gimmics. I have yet to hear of one of those being very dependable.

This is exactly what we did with our new pond several years ago when we dug it. Found out there was a spring under it about 6 feet down, and it leaked and I put the bentonite to it, and then put some loads of clay on the bottom, and kept packing it down. During the fall,the wife and kids would go out and throw leaves in it, and that may have helped too. Its been over 5 years now, and it has sealed off. At 30 feet deep, it was a chore to do, but glad I have it now.

circlew":24r3g5bo said:
I've always heard the old timers say get a bunch of hogs and let them waller all in it and they will seal it up. Never seen it done this way. :cowboy:

it works - we did that when we dug a pond about 30 yrs ago and never had any problems. another neighbor dug his pond and it wouldn't hold water he got about a dozen hogs and in a few months it was to the brim and still is today no matter how dry it gets

about the only way i know of fixxing a leaking pool is using a dozer.the dam could be cracked an thats why your loosing water.