Can't keep water in the pond

Help Support CattleToday:

mdt192

Reaction score
Hello all.

On the home place, we have a pretty large pond that has a lime stone bottom. It had always held water really well for years until about 10 years ago it started getting lower and lower. Nowadays, it keeps a small puddle in the deepest point, and it only started holding there when we dug it out with the dozer.

Any suggestions what we could do to increase water retention?

Thanks in advance.

Build up a 6 - 12 inch layer of clay in the entire pond. Frequently limestone will develop porisity issues that just can;t be gotten around without a new liner.

fence it off and throw some hogs in there for a while.

that's the cheapest.

Duns right about limestone sometimes developing a leak. But is the pond ever getting full?
If not look up hill as well. A new road , ditch, terrace, or plowed field will often cut a ponds throat.

The pond will get full after a lot of rain. We have two terraces that drain into it, but those require a lot of rain to cause running water in them.

It seems as if the problem was at the very bottom seeing as it wouldn't hold any water until we got the dozer in there to clean that out. It's quite a bit of dirt that has already been pushed out.

I was thinking of some form of a liner, but not sure how effective that would be.

Could it be there's a gigantic empty cavern underneath the limestone bottom of your pond that the water from the pond is leaking into?

A cavern with an eggshell thin crust with various Cubans, Russians, CIA and FBI agents, and the real Kennedy assassins waiting below for someone to fall through?

LBJ associates and descendants, Secret Service agents, various other Baton Rouge and New Orleans characters, and mobsters from St Louis to Chicago and Las Vegas.

ga.prime":28socbc7 said:
LBJ associates and descendants, Secret Service agents, various other Baton Rouge and New Orleans characters, and mobsters from St Louis to Chicago and Las Vegas.
So you have already seen the assassination documents. :shock:
You got sources? :roll:

ga.prime":2xl4j47f said:
A cavern with an eggshell thin crust with various Cubans, Russians, CIA and FBI agents, and the real Kennedy assassins waiting below for someone to fall through?
And would there also be a long missing judge in that crater....?

● It is certain
● It is decidedly so
● Without a doubt
● Yes definitely
● You may rely on it
● As I see it, yes
● Most likely
● Outlook good
● Yes
● Signs point to yes
● Reply hazy try again
● Ask again later