Cross fencing a pond?

Help Support CattleToday:

RanchMan90":1gmhx8vg said:
Dividing a pasture with net wire and will lead up to pond on both sides. What's the best way to cross fence a pond?

I use cattle panels and black poly floating rope with lobster buoys. My cows will not cross the floating rope. I keep thinking about using some floating 1" pvc pipe but so far the rope has worked for years.

RanchMan90":2tjasc29 said:
Dividing a pasture with net wire and will lead up to pond on both sides. What's the best way to cross fence a pond?

Usually just t post and cattle panel.
If the ponds pretty deep most of the time. You can just run a 20 foot cattle panel off each bank. And then grits rope from panel to panel.

ec_us_FG-01000-1

aluminized HT wire . This will take being submerged for periods of time , I have a fence that runs thru a pond that consistently rises and falls and It has about 20 strand of old rusty barbwire that breaks and I had to add more every few years during a dry spell . 2016 I put up 3 strands of this HT wire and it has not rusted yet . the standard ties will rust off so I just use this wire to make tieoffs to the post. If you could locate some composite post and drill them and make cotter keys out of the wire you would likely never have to touch the fence again.

http://www.zarebasystems.com/zareba-hig ... gJtvPD_BwE

Perfect timing. Finally figured out how my heifers keep getting out of one pasture. Swimming the dang pond haha

RanchMan90":19tij908 said:
SchenkAngusFarm":19tij908 said:
How deep is your pond? You have a lot of options. Some will last longer than others.
30 ft deep. Dropoff is pretty linear

That's way deeper than I anticipated.

What would you say the diameter is in the middle?

SchenkAngusFarm":21xms7zc said:
RanchMan90":21xms7zc said:
SchenkAngusFarm":21xms7zc said:
How deep is your pond? You have a lot of options. Some will last longer than others.

Approximately 100 yards. Thinking of putting brace as close as possible and stringing a few wire panels out in pond. Perhaps using tall t posts

RanchMan90":qeggne2f said:
SchenkAngusFarm":qeggne2f said:
RanchMan90":qeggne2f said:

Approximately 100 yards. Thinking of putting brace as close as possible and stringing a few wire panels out in pond. Perhaps using tall t posts

Yeah, that would be a good idea. Your pond is much larger than I anticipated. We do not have one that large that the cattle have access to.

I think that would be work. I think the only thing you would have to know, and I'm sure you do, is how quickly it drops off and make sure you avoid any deep spots if it's anything like our large pond.

SchenkAngusFarm":2ok72sul said:
RanchMan90":2ok72sul said:
SchenkAngusFarm":2ok72sul said:

Yeah, that would be a good idea. Your pond is much larger than I anticipated. We do not have one that large that the cattle have access to.

I think that would be work. I think the only thing you would have to know, and I'm sure you do, is how quickly it drops off and make sure you avoid any deep spots if it's anything like our large pond.
I'm anticipating having to take a little swim :)

Farm Fence Solutions":200rk9vy said:
Fence has the ultimate cross fenced pond. Wish I'd have taken a picture.

Found a couple. It takes just almost exactly a quarter mile roll of barbwire to span it. Sometimes the whole thing is under several feet of water. 3 months later it'll be dry.

Latest posts