Farm Pond Issues

Help Support CattleToday:

ray.floydjr

Reaction score
Hello all, I am new to cattle and I have an old pond that is in some pretty rocky soil. It has been leaching out and loosing water pretty quick here lately. Is there anything I can do to seal it up? Do they make a pond liner that will stand up to cattle?

Kingfisher":17fkji6k said:
Where are you located? Is it leaking out or evaporating?
I am in Northeastern Oklahoma. It is a hot climate, but we have got a lot of rain recently and the pond never fills up.

Could be multiple things. Pond not having adequate run off area or it could be leaking. A good clay blanket on the bottom and sides, at least 6 inches but a foot is better. It could also have a spring in the bottom. If it does it will never fill because as soon as the water gets deep enough the pressure of the water in the pond can overcome the head pressure from the spring. If that happens it just runs down and finds another outlet in the spring.

ray.floydjr":3qu0kwa4 said:
Kingfisher":3qu0kwa4 said:
I am in Northeastern Oklahoma. It is a hot climate, but we have got a lot of rain recently and the pond never fills up.
Has it ever filled up? Is it a catch for a bigger pond? Thanks for your reply.

ray.floydjr":3jqrmvhi said:
Kingfisher":3jqrmvhi said:
I am in Northeastern Oklahoma. It is a hot climate, but we have got a lot of rain recently and the pond never fills up.[/quote
If your ponds never getting full
Go out after a good rain and watch where the water runs. See if you've got water running around your pond. A road or even a cow trail can redirect a considerable amount of water.
Some small ditches cut with the blade can get the water back where the pond catches it.

Most of that ground that I've been around up there is gravel based.
You're going to need to seal it with some type of clay.

Kingfisher":1t9kgnqv said:
ray.floydjr":1t9kgnqv said:
Kingfisher":1t9kgnqv said:
Has it ever filled up? Is it a catch for a bigger pond? Thanks for your reply.
I haven't had the property very long to know if it has ever filled completely. There are no other ponds around it, so I don't think it is a catch for a a bigger pond.

Latest posts