Leaking galvanized water tank

Help Support CattleToday:

Kelly

Reaction score
I have a leak in the bottom seam of one of my galvanized water tanks that I need to fix. What is the best way to fix it and seal it to last in well below zero weather? I need to use this right away ...is there a quick way to seal it until I can fix it more permanantly?
Any great ideas?

If you can get it good and dry where the leak is silicone caulk will work.
If you can't get it dry plastic roof cement should work (get the kind that says it will work rain or shine.)

try putting some sand in the direction of the leak , as long as the tank isnt moved it should stop it till warm weather and you can do a more permanet fix
greg

Get a big plastic tarp. All you need is the cheap one that is big enough. Drain the tank and line it with the tarp. Fill it back up slowly making sure the tarp is evenly spaced around the interior of the tank.

The tarp will last 3 years (and counting). I used a tarp as a "temporary" repair and haven't taken the time to go back and wire weld the tank.

It is an instant fix.

Use a sack of bentonit, it will actually seal it for a long time but it is best to actually fix the tank. When the weather warms up try fix the leak with a fiberglass repair kit, also called kitty hair is works very well on a variety of surfaces.

On about a 1" split in one of my tanks I drilled about a 5/16" hole in it, put heavy glob of silicone caulk on each side. Then cut a piece of very thick rubber and drilled a hole in the middle. Put a bolt thru rubber and tank using "fender washers" on each side. No problems...still holding well .

dap a bit of JB weld and forget about it..

Thats what I use also but....
1) The area where applied needs to be dry
2) It can take a day or 2 to dry when its cold outside
3) If you fill the tank back up and the JB weld is not completely dry, and the hole is near the bottom of the tank, the water pressure will push right thru it

Thats been my experiance anyway

Never used on galv. but try some aquaseal. You can get it at most sporting good stores . Use rubber gloves because it will take 3 weeks to get off of your hands.

I tried the JB weld and water weld. Some stuff cald quick silver and no luck. My advise is to buy rubbermade. The knock offs are good also.

I have been using Water Weld for years to fix both cattle water tanks and water well pressure tanks. Works good

Scotty":2ec4ankv said:
I tried the JB weld and water weld. Some stuff cald quick silver and no luck. My advise is to buy rubbermade. The knock offs are good also.

Best advice yet - I have a couple of tanks that will water 30 head apiece - made of rubber - they are pretty big - let them freeze solid in the winter - 5 years and counting - still good to go.

Bez>

Running Arrow Bill":2ipk74no said:
On about a 1" split in one of my tanks I drilled about a 5/16" hole in it, put heavy glob of silicone caulk on each side. Then cut a piece of very thick rubber and drilled a hole in the middle. Put a bolt thru rubber and tank using "fender washers" on each side. No problems...still holding well .

I did that to a tank over 10 years ago after I accidently shot an arrow through it. Its still holding without problems.

PS: I swear; I was cleaning the bow and it went off. I didnt even know it was loaded.

depending on the hole, rusted or what ever i have been known to braze them with good success, however if it is badly rusted it is not worth the effort,

wear some sort of a face mask if it is galvanized the fumes can make you pretty sick