latest dead calf - thoughts?

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259":12oubulc said:
TCRanch":12oubulc said:
Angus, you've had some baaaad luck and I'm so sorry. It's not like your cows are neglected. Sending good juju, it has to get better!

Does this juju of which you speak have an expiration date and what are the proper storage conditions? How is it applied? IM or SQ or is it a pour on? ;-)

How 'bout hugs, good thoughts & a hefty dose of what Mama Gladys referred to as "recipe". Absolutely no expiration date. Pour in? :drink:

dun":7yip5qqg said:
We had a cow this year do similar. Calf early and missing lots of hair. No odor at all. Only reason we found it was because the cow was standing over it bellering and licking trying to get it up. 2 hours before she was grazing with the other cows. Would have been her 9th calf. Never an issue with the other 8, have several of her daughters in the herd.
Funny thing about the stillborn calves. If they are not broken open, sometimes the smell is slight. But once broken open, its a different story. We had to pull a backwards dead calf. I did not smell it at first, but when the limbs started coming off as we tried to get it out, PUUUUU..and that smell stuck to us like no other smell. SO unless you broke open the calf, or stuck your nose right to it, its not going to smell ripe from standing distance right away...
We took a cow with a dead calf inside. I dont remember the circumstances as to why and how we knew it was dead...but i took her to the vet. I walked in and said...."I'm sorry." lol.....was told that it was about the smelliest ever for that vet.

cowgirl8":ikpsvcis said:
dun":ikpsvcis said:
We had a cow this year do similar. Calf early and missing lots of hair. No odor at all. Only reason we found it was because the cow was standing over it bellering and licking trying to get it up. 2 hours before she was grazing with the other cows. Would have been her 9th calf. Never an issue with the other 8, have several of her daughters in the herd.
Funny thing about the stillborn calves. If they are not broken open, sometimes the smell is slight. But once broken open, its a different story. We had to pull a backwards dead calf. I did not smell it at first, but when the limbs started coming off as we tried to get it out, PUUUUU..and that smell stuck to us like no other smell. SO unless you broke open the calf, or stuck your nose right to it, its not going to smell ripe from standing distance right away...
We took a cow with a dead calf inside. I dont remember the circumstances as to why and how we knew it was dead...but i took her to the vet. I walked in and said...."I'm sorry." lol.....was told that it was about the smelliest ever for that vet.

This calf had no intention of coming apart. I drug it 1500 feet by it's leg to get it's mom to my squeeze chute. The naval was still red.

Maybe its just A simple nutrient deficiency. Just sayin. Have you had any other issues in the last 6 months, such as unexplained deaths, excessive pinkeye, etc.?
If not, then it could just be a fluke that happens to everybody once on a while.