Late season Bermuda sprigging

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence

Keyboard cowboy
Reaction score
For once my efforts of establishing improved grasses have gone well this year. I find myself wishing I had done more. And not wanting to stop
Would it be feasible to continue to sprigg Bermuda once the summer starts to break a little. And say 8 weeks before frost.
Spriggs would be home grown, and irrigation would be possible if needed. So no expense other than sweat.

I've wondered the same thing. Lots of years the fall has more favorable weather.

This is a place I fed Midland bermuda last winter.
Idk how it does it but almost every place I fed hay I have bermuda

depends on the variety of hybrid bermuda as to the date, but reliable irrigation will sure help. First week of August is the last recommended time for T-85 here in south Ga, but i've made it work right up until September. Having said that, our first frost usually isn't until November. 85 is a little more finicky to establish than some of the other varieties though.

You can plant slightly before or any time during the growing season but you run a higher risk of the sprigs drying out before they take during the hotter weather. If you can run it before a rain or have the ability to water it you are good.

When we planted all that jiggs I can remember we would be out there ahead of the storms getting after it. The cover tractor would be right on our tail. That was mid summer a lot of times.

Turkeybird":gwwvuwri said:
Do most like t-85 over midlands. I would like to hear every ones thoughts

Not 100% sure what you are asking but if you are asking if T85 is better than the other varieties like coastal or jiggs... Yes, it will outperform them all the way around. Its a little tougher to get established but more than makes up for it in production.

Latest posts