Last years hay

Help Support CattleToday:

Flatbroke

Reaction score
I have a chance to purchase hay from last year put up in big square bales, it is 60% grass 40% or less alfalfa. The hay put up same year in these parts runs $100-110/ton I can get this for $60 it is very close to me so no significant cost to transport it. Is it likely to still be ok as a general feed? I will have some cows and a bull on it this fall, as well as a few weanling calves. I was thinking it would work fine I could suppliment with cake and lick tubs...........What do you real cattle men/women think? :cboy:

GS

Flatbroke":1tx3vnfn said:
I have a chance to purchase hay from last year put up in big square bales, it is 60% grass 40% or less alfalfa. The hay put up same year in these parts runs $100-110/ton I can get this for $60 it is very close to me so no significant cost to transport it. Is it likely to still be ok as a general feed? I will have some cows and a bull on it this fall, as well as a few weanling calves. I was thinking it would work fine I could suppliment with cake and lick tubs...........What do you real cattle men/women think? :cboy:

GS
As long as it didn;t rain soaked and rot/mold it's probably not much lower in nutritional value then this years.

Thanks gents, it has not been covered but we have a dry climate so it should be ok. What is the avg for protien on grass? I know the alfalfa can go high but this is a mix over half grass, so I was thinking of an average to work up how much cake and grain I would need to feed them right.

GS

Flatbroke":1wucb6l6 said:
TWhat is the avg for protien on grass? I know the alfalfa can go high but this is a mix over half grassGS

If it was cut and put up right that kind of mix should run 11 to 13% protein. Have to test to know.

Or you can use "the eye of the herdsman" to determine if they need more as a supplement

Latest posts