last calf of the year

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
well i finally had my last beefmaster calf of the year.was a red bull calf born sept 1st.calf an mom are doing good.both staying in the pasture.now all he has todo is grow like a weed.it was an easy calving.

And where's the pictures ?? Glad all is doing well for you. All of my calves are growing so fast. I just love it. I have 4 beefmaster bull calves I'm keeping back. All but one has a very nice underline plus the muscles to go with it. Can't wait to see what they look like next year.

Joy in Texas":3p48id5m said:
And where's the pictures ?? Glad all is doing well for you. All of my calves are growing so fast. I just love it. I have 4 beefmaster bull calves I'm keeping back. All but one has a very nice underline plus the muscles to go with it. Can't wait to see what they look like next year.
now joy you know im no good at pics.an miss jewel is still keeping her calf out in the pasture.i need to get new pics of all the calves.

bigbull338":bs5dht0u said:
Joy in Texas":bs5dht0u said:
now joy you know im no good at pics.an miss jewel is still keeping her calf out in the pasture.i need to get new pics of all the calves.

Yes you do need to get pics... :)

Alice

alice i know you love baby calf pics.but taking pics an getting them on pc.is something im not good at.

i just started with fall calves on september 1st. red w/face bull with white legs.

lets see your bulls Joy.

Just had our last calf of the year this morning. Found it dead in the pasture. So long P7, you were a good cow.

funky 4-Her":100fnbe0 said:
dun":100fnbe0 said:
Just had our last calf of the year this morning. Found it dead in the pasture. So long P7, you were a good cow.

Your getting rid of her because she had a dead calf?
yes thats why he is shipping her.some people have 1 strike an your gone to the sale.he want everyone of his cows to wean a calf.

Ok, just asking... We don't have a beef herd. We milked for a long time and now have a few beefs just for someting to do. So therefore I'm new to the world of commercial "beefers" for lack of a better term.

heres a pic of my first calf of the fall season born on september 1st and a funnel butt that insists on getting in every picture i take.

Picture2614.jpg

Picture2615.jpg

funky 4-Her":o54qz3sv said:
dun":o54qz3sv said:

Your getting rid of her because she had a dead calf?
She was a late calver, raised a whale of a calf as a heifer but bred back late. Without Pedro she would have been gone last fall. The calf was a malpresentation, she had it anyway unassisted but probably tore her (don;t know the technical term) poop tube, rectum, whatever, when she calved. The calf had the right leg up and over the head. The upper foot is packed with manure, all the other feet are clean. It's surmised that because of the birth difficulty she tore and the foot penetrated the rectum/colon/whatever that particular portion is called. So she goes to butcher. Vet says she will probably heal ok and she doesn;t have a problem, but I won;t feed her for another year waiting for another calf.
Kind of funny that the first and last calf of the year both had malpresentation, but just a coincidence.
Slow breeders, multiple service breeders and some calving difficultys puts them on a truck.
That's anotyher problem with running a bull vs AI. Didin;t have a very good idea when she was due and was just starting to dialate yesterday evening and hadn;t bagged up much.

dun":raupyxe0 said:
Funny you say that dun... I found a dead one in the pasture about a week ago. IT was from one of my older cows (she was a 14 yr old) She never even tried to get the sack off it.
Took her to the butcher. Hamburger for all the family coming up!!

Beefy":fgiou1h6 said:
heres a pic of my first calf of the fall season born on september 1st and a funnel butt that insists on getting in every picture i take.

Picture2614.jpg

Picture2615.jpg
He's a pretty little calf. And as far as that funnel butt goes you can send her home with me.
Are you keeping her Beefy ? I would just watch her if you do. Her hips are really narrow looking. It could be the way she looks in the picture.

i dont know, i tend to keep more heifers than i need. maybe if she starts doing some squats, like now!, i will think about it. i would like to keep her but i dont need any(more) butts like that around here. she got that butt from her momma. took her momma nine months to make it. with the hay situation this year, i may be getting a rid of a lot of heifers i dont want to and shes already got one strike which is enough.

Well, I do the same thing keep to many. Then thats not bad enough I go buy some more.Hubby just throws his hands up some days. All though they will not all stay. I wait until they are 14-15 months old ,then I 'll cull them out.
Calves change like the weather here. One day they look great. Maybe ,a month later they change for the worse.