Laser eye surgery

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Last year there were a couple of olks that talked about having Lasik (laser eye surgery). I'm curious after a year what they think about it and any side affects.

Thanks

dun

Well, I'm not one of those folks who talked about it last year but I had the procedure done about six or seven years ago. Last time I checked I was 20/20 in my left eye and not quite as good in my right. That may sound a bit more impressive when you take into account that I was legally blind without glasses before the surgery. The glasses I had were unbelievably thick and a real pain in the rear. My astigmatism was really bad too. Lasik corrected that pretty well. The only side affects were occasional dry eye that is a rare occurance now. I also had some glare problems when driving at night for the first three years or so, especially if I had been indoors reading or at the computer for a long while. The glare problem was mostly because the corrective area back then was 6mm and my pupils get a little bigger than that. I think the corrective area is a bit larger now. One thing's for sure, I wouldn't want to go back to being pre-lasik.

I'm wanting to have it done but I'm kind of waiting for the price to go down more. I have a friend who had it done about a year and a half ago and she swears by it. Before she wore very thick glasses and still couldn't see too well. Now she has 20/20 vision and says she can see great.

I had it done several years ago. I can see better that 20/20 but I have to use moisturizing eye drops everyday. The drops are about 16 dollars per bottle.

I have been thinking about this for many years. I don't know what my vision is, but I can't see the big "E"... my prescription is -4.75, and has been that way since I got glasses/contacts. It has never changed. An anchor lady out of the Cities had it done, bad infections, went blind, can't remember if it was one eye or both. My step-mother has been back 3 different times because of them hosing up her operations, still not sure if she's right yet. BTW Dun - she lives in MO. I'm just not sure if I could take the chance.... they are not 100% on things always going right. My luck I'd be the one that doesn't go right.

mitchwi":31077apd said:
I'm just not sure if I could take the chance.... they are not 100% on things always going right. My luck I'd be the one that doesn't go right.

That's what I'm concerned about.

dun

Rustler9":2jr6q1rl said:
I'm wanting to have it done but I'm kind of waiting for the price to go down more. I have a friend who had it done about a year and a half ago and she swears by it. Before she wore very thick glasses and still couldn't see too well. Now she has 20/20 vision and says she can see great.

Hey Rustler

Make sure you don't go out bargain hunting for this type of surgery.

I have always been told to stay away from bargains on parachutes and medical treatment.

Just jokin a little but what does it cost now to get this done? When I looked into it about 5 years ago it was about $2000 per eye.

Dub

I'd love to have it done...I even had saved up the money to have it done several years ago...and chickened out.

I even thought if I could have one eye done at a time it might not be so bad...if something went wrong I'd still have my other eye. Then, I decided if I was thinking in those terms I didn't have any business doing it at all.

I still want to have it...just gotta get up the nerve...and decide I trust the medical profession...which I don't. I hate to be this chicken.

Alice

Dun,

This November will be 3 years since I had lasik on both eyes. I could not be happier. I don't have to worry about the glasses getting fogged up on cold mornings in the shooting house or covered in sweat in the summertime. Given my experience I would do it all over again. The Dr that did mine had preformed lasik on over 15,000 eyes by the time I let him get ahold of me. Last I heard the Dr had corrected somewhere over 30,000 eyes.

As I have aged a bit since my lasik I find myself needing reading glasses but knew that would happen when I had my vision corrected to 20/20 (actually a bit better than 20/20). To compensate for the reading glasses I have a bunch of the cheap reading glasses lying around everywhere that I might need them.

Again based on my results, I would do it again.

Do any of you have problems seeing at night after the laser sugery?

I had my eyes done about 7 years ago , best thing I ever did.
No problems seeing at night.

DoubleK":y59jy8lc said:
Rustler9":y59jy8lc said:

Hey Rustler

Make sure you don't go out bargain hunting for this type of surgery.

I have always been told to stay away from bargains on parachutes and medical treatment.

Just jokin a little but what does it cost now to get this done? When I looked into it about 5 years ago it was about $2000 per eye.

Dub

I looked around about February and it was starting at about 900.00 an eye. That was the cheapest because my vision is bad but not so bad that they have to break out the super laser. My friend who went with me was quoted 2000.00 an eye and was told that she wouldn't acheive the same results as I could. I backed off. I didn't feel like I wanted to spend 1800.00 bucks. That was in Fort Worth.

Unless I could be guaranteed that I would not have to wear glasses other than to read with, I'm not even remotely interested. Lammie, at least whomever counselled your friend was truthful.

Alice

memanpa":1f2g3p6u said:
i waffle so much about having it done.
no so much as to the cost but the WHAT IF's

I could just think of about a dozen things to do with the money besides spending it on my vanity. My freind that went with me is BLIND! I just cant tell chickens from dogs in the pasture. I think that it costs more when you are astigmatic, and that's what she is. I am near sighted and slightly astigmatic. I am also getting to the point where I have to read with my glasses off rather than on. I can't wear contact lenses at all because it is just such an eye strain.

I imagine I will get to the point where I will do it. You can pay a little more and get your vision corrected again if you need it. It is like a guarantee that the surgery will work. I have two in college right now, so it won't be for a while.

Lammie":jbesyx0p said:
I could just think of about a dozen things to do with the money besides spending it on my vanity.

Vanity is one way to look at it.

Another way to look at it is not being able to go to the bathroom at night without first feeling around for your glasses. Or needing to keep a spare pair with you and knowing that if you break or loose your glasses while out in the field you will be stranded. Not to mention the discomfort of glasses thicker than coke bottle bottoms. Lasik cost me $1500 an eye. $3k was a small price to pay for the convenience and freedom I have now. ;-)

Lammie":2zbcuh7j said:
I could just think of about a dozen things to do with the money besides spending it on my vanity.

I'm not sure the term Vanity would be correct here. Vanity would be a face lift, tummy tuck or boob job.

I did it for several reasons among which safety was a big concern. It improves the quality of life. My eyes need only a small amount of corrections and it only cost me about $2,000 total for both eyes. In other word's the cost of 3 or 3.5 calves paid for mine.

Others said it first, but it isn;t alwasy vanity. I'm too old to care much about appearance, I just find glasses a pain in the butt. As a matter of fact I've sat on them a time or 2, that's a real double pain in the butt. Not being able to see when you have to go to town and get a new pair.

dun

dun":kplk33ky said:
As a matter of fact I've sat on them a time or 2, that's a real double pain in the butt.
dun

Depends on which way they were laying!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts