Anybody had cataract surgery

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
I had left eye done this morning , the vision is blurry, is this normal?
To have follow up visit on the morning

The immediate followup is to confirm everything is OK. That you didn't scratch your eye during the night.
Your eye won't be healed for 3 weeks.

I had one cataract removed and a lens inserted and then did not need eye glasses. After the followup with the Dr. I immediately went to City Hall to get a new driver's license, thinking if I got stopped for anything I'd have proof I did not need glasses.

The gal said she would have to check my vision. Look in this hood and tell me what you see..... I said it looks like Chineese. She made some changes and said what about that? Looks like German..... I told he I just go back from the Dr.... So she gave me a new license!!!

Vision clears up in about three days. Unless you are nearsighted, you will be thankful. Can see really well far off now, but have to wear glasses for reading.

Post op visit, every thing ok. Only problem the 3 bottles of eye drops is $450 without insurance $75 with insurance, insurance won't pay for new prescription to do other eye till march 12, was hoping to have other eye done before then and healed up by March.

I had he right eye on 1/13. Did not turn out as well as I had hoped. Good vision for about ten foot. Cannot read a newspaper. Two week follow up yesterday I have a prescription for tri focal glasses. One thing to keep in mind there are no do over on this You will have the lenses implant the rest of your life. Would I do it again the answer is No.

bbirder":2xm57vus said:
Hurley,
Don't know your history, but I would advise you to go get a second opinion. Not many cataract surgeries are unsuccessful.

I had pretty good vision with glasses told by first doctor could not do any better than the prescription I already had needed the surgery. First opinion and the doctor that did the last was the second opinion. So mark it down as one of the ones that did not turn out as well. Maybe I needed a third opinion but the insurance carrier balks at paying for opinion after opinion.

Both of mine done within the last year and both are something I would do again if needed. Threw my glasses away and had my driving restriction removed. I could use a little correction for distance, but up close I'm fine.

cowboy43":28m9zgeu said:
Post op visit, every thing ok. Only problem the 3 bottles of eye drops is $450 without insurance $75 with insurance, insurance won't pay for new prescription to do other eye till march 12, was hoping to have other eye done before then and healed up by March.

If you are a farm bureau member then there is a prescription card that the pharmacies will honor. Yes the drops are expensive one was furnished by the eye doctor. The other two without the card would have been 290 bucks with the card it was discounted to $190. I can see very well from about ten foot out but cannot read a newspaper. Far off vision is very good I can see the moon.

Hurley, I would definitely get another opinion. When I had my eyes done they told me if it didn't take they would do it over. I think its BS that they told you this is it - can't be done again. My vision is now 20/20 beyond about three feet. Still need reading glasses and I can live with that.

Cowboy,
First glad it went well. Good luck with the other eye.

Curious, what made you go to the doc thinking it was cataracts or whatever?

HDRider":374bgtvb said:
Cowboy,
First glad it went well. Good luck with the other eye.

Curious, what made you go to the doc thinking it was cataracts or whatever?

Your vision gets blurry. It's like someone put a thumbprint of Vaseline on a camera lens.

Yes, I am growing a cataract in my right eye as we speak and had my left eye done in 2010.

I go to the eye doctor once a year because I am a diabetic, two visits ago I was told I had cataracts
But not bad enough for surgery, my vision had gotten blurry, Doctor said I now qualified for surgery, he said new glasses would not help my vision.