large herds?

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
How many on here have 100 or more head or work for someone who does? Also, when vaccinating how do you do it to make it good and quick as possible?

We're over 200 head.

When we vaccinate we use the repeater guns. We run about 8 head down the chute, or as many as will fit fairly tightly, so there is less room for them to jump around. And we just go down the line vaccinating in the neck. If things go well, we can run them all through in an hour or so.

I am a one-man show, so I take a week to do what some say they can do in a day or two. I really don't mind taking a week in the spring and a week in the fall, to do everything right and at my own pace. I enjoy the cattle and would much rather be pushing cows into a chute than riding on a tractor any day.

I have a hundred and twelve according to my records but I'm missing a few so I don't know if I qualify as a big herd or not. I have enough ground to run two hundred plus but I had to take a break and wait out this whole no water anywhere thing. :D Now I'm overstocked despite my understocking.
I vaccinate like randiliana does, just shove a bunch up in the lead up to the chute and go down the line. I have cows that I've owned for a few years that haven't been caught in the chute since I branded them. The hardest part is getting them gathered and sorted, the easy part is vaccinating once I have them up. Spring work is the easiest, all I do is pour on wormer and I just shove them up in the lane horseback and squirt while I sort... It does take a BROKE horse to make it work. :lol:
For AI syncronization in late fall before green up, I can usually just carry a gun full of whatever shot I need to give and lean over the edge of the bed of the truck when I feed and get the ones I want to AI. If they're goofy enough that they don't mob the truck for hay then I'm fine with the bulls getting them.
The key for ME is knowing my cows. I know which sets hang out where so when we or I (so far we have done everything as a family with no outside help and it's usually just me) are short twenty head I can glance around and tell who they are and where to find them and we just deal with them next time.
That being said, I don't consider myself to be a large herd. By standards here in CA, I'll still be a side-liner when I'm stocked up.

I was running over 200 before I went to work for Jed, me, the gate opener and a one legged cowboy could sort and work the cows in less than 4 hrs
if we were cutting and working calves it would usually take us 4 to 5 hrs to sort and work them if we already had them gathered in the trap

We don't have a lot all year. We have a small herd of cattle that are here year round, about 40 head now going to maybe 60.
We run 4-500 calves during the winter though. The new feedlot and handling facilities are almost done. We've run quite a few through and they work great. With it we are working towards handling 1,000 head a year through. That will be a combination of my cattle, stockers. Thin wet bags and whatever else will turn a dollar.
We loaded 4 pot loads in an hour and 40 minutes last week.

tncattle":g9sc4qrl said:
How many on here have 100 or more head or work for someone who does? Also, when vaccinating how do you do it to make it good and quick as possible?
I have a ranch hand that lives in a house on another part if the farm. When I'm gone he handles everything just as I would.

We run quite a few cows and yearlings both. Cows and yearlings are processed through the chute. Repeating guns feeding off of large bottles mounted on holders chute side. Calves are roped and stretched out at branding time. Repeating guns used for the vaccinations. Stockers through the chute, the guys roll at about 100 head/hour while processing, which includes shots/branding/ear tagging and when applicable implanting. Cows at a slower rate (about 60 an hour) as we are preg checking and giving a bolus too. As to calves roped at branding time, a typical branding day for us is about 250 calves. With a full crew, we are to the pens, sorted and rolling before 9AM. Including time for sets of ropers to switch etc, we'll be done by 1230 or so.

There's a vet that I help out from time to time. About the only difference between everyone else's post here on how they do it is that he has a hydraulic unit and a left handed asssistant. The assistant reads his mind, hands him everything and keeps records marked on a clip board. He pulls levers, gives shots and palpates. When he is palpating, I can keep up with running them up the chutes. If he is not palpating, it is hard to keep up. His assistant and the hydraulics are the difference, in my opinion.

backhoeboogie":2wrwbl2m said:
There's a vet that I help out from time to time. About the only difference between everyone else's post here on how they do it is that he has a hydraulic unit and a left handed asssistant. The assistant reads his mind, hands him everything and keeps records marked on a clip board. He pulls levers, gives shots and palpates. When he is palpating, I can keep up with running them up the chutes. If he is not palpating, it is hard to keep up. His assistant and the hydraulics are the difference, in my opinion.
Boogie
I had a hyd chute and I ran the chute and gave all the shots and , gate opener took care of recording everything and keeping guns filled and handing me the next one , the one legged cowboy kept them pushed to the chute if castrating him and I would swap out on the cutting

Angus Cowman":3t2vw24w said:
backhoeboogie":3t2vw24w said:
Boogie
I had a hyd chute and I ran the chute and gave all the shots and , gate opener took care of recording everything and keeping guns filled and handing me the next one , the one legged cowboy kept them pushed to the chute if castrating him and I would swap out on the cutting

Working as a team helps. It sounds like ya'll read each other's minds just fine. I am a fish out of water because I am not in on the daily routines.

Mumbling don't work so well either. Yell at me. Its okay. Mostly just need to know what someone wants done. It is no big thing until something goes wrong or the plan changes.

They do speak a cattle language I comprehend. They grew up with the same terms I did it seems.

Isomade":34ejq3ll said:
tncattle":34ejq3ll said:
I have a ranch hand that lives in a house on another part if the farm. When I'm gone he handles everything just as I would.

Cinch pulled tight, tied off hard and fast, calves penned and momma' out in the pasture
Backing into a make shift box next to the pens, nodding your head and turning the calves out one at a time
Just like Pendleton ;-)

Shanghai":3t400o2v said:
Isomade":3t400o2v said:
tncattle":3t400o2v said:

Cinch pulled tight, tied off hard and fast, calves penned and momma' out in the pasture
Backing into a make shift box next to the pens, nodding your head and turning the calves out one at a time
Just like Pendleton ;-)
Naw, I ain't no horse hand, never had the nack fer it. I got a pony but he's jest fer pleasure ridin'. I wouldn't rope from a horse if ya paid me. Now on the dirt I'm a loop slanger.

[ r][/quote]

Just like Pendleton ;-)[/quote]
Naw, I ain't no horse hand, never had the nack fer it. I got a pony but he's jest fer pleasure ridin'. I wouldn't rope from a horse if ya paid me. Now on the dirt I'm a loop slanger.[/quote]

let me guess your a healer since that end is closer to your level.

I have been using the Prima Tech guns that hold the bottle instead of the draw off type where you hang up a bottle. I love them. Easy to handle and no hoses to get tangled. It is also much easier to keep the bottles chilled which is a challenge when working them by myself when it is warm. I set up a table use a Styrofoam cooler or the insulated box the drugs come in with a couple ice bags in it. As I use the gun I just set it back in the cooler.
Also easily cleaned when finished.

tncattle":2auoxanj said:
Sorry tn...I gotta a whoppin' 12 head right now. When we dairied we had over 800 head from calves up to older cows. Seldom worked over 10-12 head any one day but did it most every day. Good facilities, good coordination between me and the wife and a lot of good luck.

tncattle":2d4872f5 said:
What brand repeating guns do you use and what size needle?

I have several brands of repeating guns. Alflex is the best I have that holds the bottle on it. The rest leak and are going in the burn barrel. We will work 150 pair and sort them down to go to grass all in a day. Makes for a long one but the majority of our pastures aren't far away.

I try to use the smallest needle possible for all jobs. The consistency of the liquid determines the size of the need. Try to use 18 gauge the majority of the time.

The most I ever work is around 110 head. I seperate cows and calves first and the wife draws up needles. we have an automatic head catch and sweep tub with a 20ft alley. Takes all weekend. Seems like we work about 5 head and drink a beer and then repeat the process.

Latest posts