Abnormally Large cattle brands

Help Support CattleToday:

Calves probably had some age difference too. Not uncommon to have 4 month old calves and month old calves at the same branding. Most any iron takes up a bunch of space on a month old calf. Which then results in a brand that takes up a lot of space on that critter as a mature cow.

We used to brand on the shoulder, theo nly brands I oticed being larger were the ones that got botched because the person holding the calf jumped.

dun":2ns8yte2 said:
We used to brand on the shoulder, theo nly brands I oticed being larger were the ones that got botched because the person holding the calf jumped.
:nod: Therefore larger scaring. Some are just going to scar larger than others also, the body's way of healing a wound is different from one to the other. The scar from a hot brand will also be much different from a freeze brand.

But I would ask "the moon", just to be sure. :hide:

There are three cows in my pasture right now. All branded using the same iron on the right hip. Two branded as adults have a brand the same size as the iron. It is an N I believe that N is a 3 inch tall character. The third was branded as a calf. On her that N has to be 8 or 9 inches tall. Maybe more, the brand takes up most of her hip.

My brand is a c with an open faced p hanging from it and it's on the rib. It's only four inches tall and about two wide but by the time the cow is mature it can be up to eighteen inches tall and six wide if she was really young when I branded her. Rib irons tend to grow more than hip irons.

My thoughts are that if it is the moon causing them to be abnormally large then they should ALL be abnormally large. Unless you aren't branding them as a group......

randiliana":1ltme8gk said:
My thoughts are that if it is the moon causing them to be abnormally large then they should ALL be abnormally large. Unless you aren't branding them as a group......
And it would depend on when you were looking at them. High or low tide.

TexasBred":3sgpdi13 said:
randiliana":3sgpdi13 said:
And it would depend on when you were looking at them. High or low tide.

I always look at them on high tide. Any good low tides and I go clam digging.

You can tell when it's a good time to brand based on the water level is in the toilet bowl

Maybe your grandfather branded when he weaned, if he weaned by the moon, it would seem like he branded by the moon as well. I cannot see how the moon could affect the size of a brand, size of the brand in relationship size of the calf would make a difference.

Latest posts