Large bander recommendation?

Help Support CattleToday:

shaz

Reaction score
I usually do a of banding bulls around the 100-150lb mark but sometimes one gets by me. I have the Wadsworth XL bander. What do I use when that's not big enough? What would you use on an 800lb bull for instance?

I have one of the old EZE banders that uses tubing and clip to hold the tubing after its tightened. The new versions use precut tubing. They have those larger banders available at vet supply outfits like Jeffers vet supply.

I have a callicrate that is alright. I used it for a little while and then swapped over to knife cutting but the callicrate did what it was supposed to. My only real complaint was it felt like I needed 3 hands to really work it properly. The last time I used it I ended up with two that had infected sacks somehow, but I would attribute that to user error more than an issue with the product. If you spring for a callicrate my advice is just to make sure you have an extra set of hands if you need them, and make sure everything is on the proper side of the rubberband and not bunched up underneath the band. I purchased mine from valley vet I think.

I knife cut everything, but I have been trying to justify getting a Callicrate just in case. Used it band half the bulls at the sale barn,and cut the other half. The vet always double banded with a Callicrate.

I have the callicrate pro and never any issues. I've done bulls in the 500-600 lb range. I usually do them younger than that though so I haven't done a lot.

I have a callicrate that is alright. I used it for a little while and then swapped over to knife cutting but the callicrate did what it was supposed to. My only real complaint was it felt like I needed 3 hands to really work it properly. The last time I used it I ended up with two that had infected sacks somehow, but I would attribute that to user error more than an issue with the product. If you spring for a callicrate my advice is just to make sure you have an extra set of hands if you need them, and make sure everything is on the proper side of the rubberband and not bunched up underneath the band. I purchased mine from valley vet I think.
I looked at the callicrate too and came to the same conclusion. Too many hands required.

Calicrate works pretty good. I usually band about 650 lbs. Trick is to put the band around the sack where you want it and snug it up first, and then thread the machine onto it. A shot of tetanus toxoid and about 6 weeks later, you've got a steer. You can cut the sack off below the band once the sack is dried and shriveled to hurry things along

The EZE bander that I have has a few steps to the process, but the tubing allows it to be easily placed around the area and then pull tubing hand tight. Then then it tightens more with the ratcheting function on the bander, then levers on the bander crimp a metal to hold the band in place then another lever cuts the tubing behind the clip. This bander is advertised as being able to work on up to mature bulls. The new version of the bander probably cuts out a step or two.

Used to band a lot of 900-1,100lb bulls this time of year at the sale barn. Every one thinks they have the next Hoover Dam, when they really only have another steer with nuts. We would semen test them before the sale knowing darn well we would be banding most of them after the sale. Stack 3 Callicrate bands on them and you got a str.

I raise bulls, so I don't band anything until after they are weaned in the fall, and usually later fall to winter by the time I get around to banding the ones I'm culling. I use the EZE T1 bander and bands. I got it from an outfit in Montana called Out West MFG. Here is their website http://www.castrator.com. (Don't worry, I don't work for them, I'm just a bull raiser in Wyoming.) I have banded some that are up to 9 or 10 months old with this bander. (As a side note, I sell two year old bulls, so these are not your 1100 lb yearling bulls. Probably at that stage weighing around 700 to 750 lbs.)

I don't know of other brands of banders, and generally was always opposed to them at a spring branding. I would always knife cut the spring calves, as it is easier and more reliable. That way you can count them and not worry about stags. One--Two. Hope that helps.

I usually do a of banding bulls around the 100-150lb mark but sometimes one gets by me. I have the Wadsworth XL bander. What do I use when that's not big enough? What would you use on an 800lb bull for instance?
I used a California bander for awhile, and had good luck with it. I have banded yearling bulls for a neighbor, and everything worked out fine - no problems, no surprises. I've found banding these larger animals is best done from behind while the bull is head caught in a squeeze.

Last edited:
In the past I used a California bander. It worked very well for me and there were no 'surprises' later. I have banded yearling bulls with it for a neighbor, and the procedure went off without a hitch. I've found that for these bigger cattle it's better to work from behind, with them head caught in a squeeze. For quite a few years I've banded everything from birth to 3 days old, and that works very well for me and my situation (and my gentle cows) but it is not handy for some outfits.

I used a California bander for awhile, and had good luck with it. I have banded yearling bulls for a neighbor, and everything worked out fine - no problems, no surprises. I've found banding these larger animals is best done from behind while the bull is head caught in a squeeze.
When I band the yearling bulls, I also have them head caught. I discovered that if I have a short chain on the sidebar, and after they are head caught, hook it to the side bar on the other side, it is right above where you are working, and if they try to kick, they can't get you because of the chain. Hope it is a helpful tip.

Anybody have additional experience or opinions on the EZE XL bander from Better Ranch Products? Thanks.

We use the Callicrate and have had very good luck with it. Have had a few bands break over the years... not many. Calves (often up to 800 lbs) that we buy as bulls discounted and then we run them in the chute... I hold tail up over back, son does it from behind. Shot of Tetanus.... we keep them close for 3-4 days and check to make sure the nuts get cold... and they can be cut off in a week if cold and starting to "die". They animals seem to go right back on feed in a few hours if you get it tight and it cuts off the circulation so no feeling.....

Latest posts