Land buying considerations for stocker operations

Help Support CattleToday:

Cassidy

Reaction score
I am looking for some things to consider when buying land for a stocker/grower operation. I figured this is a consideration some beef producers are considering while the prices of cattle are relatively high. So, stocker operations, fill me in with some experiences you have had buying land that is compatible to your operation or maybe some things you are contemplating this new year. Is it a time for expansion?

Iam all about expanding and will do so this year by running more cow calf pairs. But around my area buying land to farm does not pencil out land is way to high to farm. I plan on leasing more land as soon as I get the land I have fully stocked which has been a slow process because cows are at records highs and I don't want to borrow money to buy cows.

I would guess that for a profitable stocker operation you need a long grazing season. Up here 6 months seems too short to really put enough weight on to beat the slide. Then when stored forage is fed the cost go too high. I think you need at least 9 months of good grazing. That's the way I look at it.

We're expanding about 50 cows a year. But, our land is paid for and we keep our own heifers. Have you looked into leasing. I'm way past knowing that things go for anymore. When we bought our land it averaged around 300 an acre.. Those days are long gone though. I couldnt even fathom starting out at what it goes for now, 2500...My daughter has a 40 cow herd and leases her land and she's doing pretty good. She's only bought a couple of the cows, most she raised. She bought her cows back when they were just starting to go up. Not sure she'd buy now.

As was prviously mentioned you need a long grazing season for stockers. But that grazing has to be of high quality. If they aren;t gaining you're losing money

bigbull338":3mdx9lmn said:
dont expect the stockers to make the land payment.those days are long gone.

x2. Here as well. And has been for some time. You won't pay for a farm with cattle, even now. (using programs I have seen around here- momma cow, backgrounding calves, or stocker cows)

We've lost a good little bit of pasture just in my area lately to row crop. There is one exception to that though. There has been a minute amount of row crop in hill ground bought by the local big wheel to clean up and let his leech nephews or somebody run. Turned mediocre places in to manicured beautiful pastures, rotation grazed with the biggest bunch of beautiful black momma cows/calves for miles around. Fortunately for him, he's looking for a write-off and I'd say he's got a dandy.

Latest posts