Lack of Angus Bulls, or quality Angus Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Scotty

Reaction score
Read a thread yesterday that made me think. Yes I sometimes do. It was over abull sale and the lack of good Angus bulls. Heres were I start. My statement is to the ones that AI all animals and the ones taht don't for what ever reason. Large operation or small. Is it worth it. Give me price of AI verses owning a bull.(your price not the national average.) Your experiences, drawbacks. I know that heat detection and not getting them bred, and the like. But I don't know of any reaserch between the two other than the ones taht are heavy into it say it is worth it.

Scotty

We're 100% AI (although we hand bred a few to Macho last year plus AI'd to him). I feel one bull cannot give you everything you need to match to each & every cow you own. Unless your herd is a "cookie cutter" herd. I pick & choose a bull to match each cows. Now, I don't mean I breed a different bull to each & every cow. But I pick out a few bulls, than decide what cows to put them on.
We don't use a lot of hormones to sync. I just heat detect. I have a starting date & ending date. We shoot for a 45 day calving, but that never happens. First, we breed our heifers to calve first - so that adds 2 weeks, than we always have a late one for some "good reason".
We now have a "bull around" and it's no fun trying to find a place for him. Of course, we're not set up to have a bull on the farm. I'm fortunate that he REALLY respects 1 strand fences.
I have to admit, some years, it sure would be simple to just say, "today we start breeding" - and turn a bull out & forget them.

I would love to do what you are doing. I combo of job other than ranching and lazy.

Yeah, I'm fortunate. The farm is my full time job (although my volunteer jobs sure are getting in the way - working on our Directory & am past due to get it to the printers :shock: )
My husband works full time off the farm, but he does all my breeding and all our "weekend & evening" work that needs both of us.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1lqhgioy said:
My husband works full time off the farm, but he does all my breeding
Please don't take offense, but I cracked up when I read this! :lol: Glad that he can keep up with all of his responsibilities!

We try to get all the cows AI'ed by a certian date then we turn the bull in. This is more for our convience and reduces the time conflicts with the haying enterprise.

docgraybull":1w47o5kt said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":1w47o5kt said:
My husband works full time off the farm, but he does all my breeding
Please don't take offense, but I cracked up when I read this! :lol: Glad that he can keep up with all of his responsibilities!

:D Don't you just love it!!! :D Anyway, I always told people that Ken (my husband) was the only breeding age bull on the farm! :D :shock: Can't say that now with Macho around. You should see the responses I got!

Latest posts