LA-200

Help Support CattleToday:

jwhisperj

Reaction score
Hello,
My bull calf, ( who is going to become a steer if the little bugger would stay healthy long enough :mad: )
is coughing and had been wheezing while lying down. I took his temp and it was 103. This was on the 31st. I gave him a dose of LA-200 per the vet and he got 10 units of Probios 2x daily. Eating well and all seems good. The next day below the injection sight (on the neck) down by his jugular is swollen, not soft but very hard like an abscess. His temp went down and the wheezing is gone but the lump is still there. It was about the size of a baseball around and stuck out about an inch. This has gone down some since, but my question is has anyone ever heard of adverse reactions to this antibiotic? I haven't given him any more for fear of allergies. I called the vet but he was not available and will call this evening.
Thanks! jwj

I am not trying to be a smart a$$ but I bought the LA-200 because it specifically says on the box "At the first sign of pneumonia or pinkeye administer a single dose of LA-200 subcutaneously according to the weight." Like I said I am not trying to be smart I am curious if this is a misleading product? Is is something that was designed for this purpose and people found it is not very affective? And if so what would be a good product to keep on hand? Thanks again.

There's been quite a bit of resistance built up to LA200 and some of the other common over-the-counter meds. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. What's written on the label only is a guideline, and sometimes labeled dosages are ineffective but the company isn't going to change them because it would involve years of testing and millions of dollars to do so. Penicillin is a very good example of that.

Nuflor or Baytril or Draxxin would be good drugs for the calf. My personal preference is Baytril. Pick one, give him about 48 hours on it, if there's no change, switch to something else... but if he's showing an improvement then keep him on it for about 7 days. You need to treat beyond the point where he seems well in order to make sure he doesn't have a relapse.

LA-200 is a good antibiotic to give for pneumonia type symptoms.

I am not sure where you heard that LA is only good for pinkeye and footrot but I dont think so. The majority of problems with calves of most any age is their lungs. Their respirotry system is about as weak and vulnerable as you can get. LA gets in their and attachs the bacteria that make the calf so vulnerable. I am assuming you gave it subcue? If so did you put all of your CC's in one location. I have always been taught to give half of the dosage at one injection site and then the other half at another site. I would be curious to see what your vet says?

We dont use LA-200, but because we use so much a knockoff called"oxymycin"( I think).

edit:If its a relatively young calf a shot of Vitamin B complex wouldnt hurt either.

The question isnt about the effectability of LA-200, but why the lump? please post results!

Thanks everyone for the input. I think I will go with another antibiotic like Nuflor or Baytril. Are these available at the feed store or do I need to go to the vet for them? Also, should I be giving the shot everyday or every three days? Seems like the vet said to give one shot and wait 3 days, if cleared up give one more for good measure and if not give it every three days until things clear up. Does this sound right or did I misunderstand?
I understand there would be some swelling at the injection sight and I like the idea of giving half in one spot and the other half in another. But the swelling is bellow the sight, just above his jugular. Texlonghorn... Did the Vet say why it took so long for the lump to go away? Just curious.
I will let everyone know what the vet says when he calls and keep you updated on the calf. The heifer doesn't have a single problem, both live in the same enviroment :roll: . You know how that goes.

Baytril, Nuflor and the other newer drugs are all prescription. You have to get them from a vet. That's part of the reason LA200 and it's duplicates aren;t very affective anymore. You can buy them at the feedstore and a lot of folks give it/them even if it isn;t necesarry. It's the "feel good" school of managment

The LA in LA200 was for long acting as in the proper doasge would be active for 72 hours so that daily treatment was not needed.

I still keep it on hand for foot problems or other infections.

there shoul dnot be more than 10 cc administered at any one injection site. It does burn some and the stock don't like it. injection site reaction is commmon.

The last piece of advice I would give you is that there is no substitute for early dedection of sickness in cattle. Sometimes it doesnt matter if you have the proper drugs, if that calf is to long gone nothing can be done. Learn what to look for in sick cattle and practice looking at sale yards etc.

Thanks everyone. Good to know what the LA stands for and I will be keeping it on hand along with a few other things. I am so glad there are such knowledgeable folks here to ask questions to.
Thanks again. :D

Vet just called and said that the calf should be fine now and not to give another shot. He said the swelling can last up to two weeks in cold weather and if you don't get it in the muscle deep enough it can ooze out under the skin making a bigger lump that last longer. We will see I guess...

LA200 works ok if you catch the sickness early. you got a knot from to short of a needle needle needs to be 2 inch long. med need to be in deep muscle. Other med talked about are alot faster acting than LA200 also lot more expensive. but well worth it when needed.

Hey thanks! I will pick up some longer needles, I used about 1 1/4 in. I caught the bug early enough I hope. Seems ok now just has some cough left. Thanks again everyone for all the helpful info.
see ya around.

Latest posts