LA 300 beyond expiration date

Help Support CattleToday:

ccr

ranch hand
Reaction score
Yesterday (it was about 100°) a 9 month calf had foam coming out of its mouth, and drainage and crust around his eye. These kinda things seem to always come up on the weekend when the vet is closed. We think maybe he's got pneumonia.

This morning he looked better, his temp was 104°. We gave him injections of LA 300, which the expiration date is 04/2019.

Do you think the LA 300 is still good being out of date?

As long as it's been stored correctly I wouldn't worry about it. Most injectables are good for at least a year after expiration date.

The LA300 should be fine. If the calf is that sick he needs something stronger though. Baytril, Nuflor, Advocin would be my top choices. If he's in a pasture were he's hard to doctor then Zactran or Zuprevo.

SBMF 2015 said:
The LA300 should be fine. If the calf is that sick he needs something stronger though. Baytril, Nuflor, Advocin would be my top choices. If he's in a pasture were he's hard to doctor then Zactran or Zuprevo.

I agree LA 300 is not going to knock that infection. Need something strong that will knock it back quickly.

Baytril will get you the fastest response. Usually requires a follow up in serious cases. In the past I've used Baytril and a shot of Penicillin to go with it and had good results with almost no retreats.

Nuflor, Zactrin, Draxxin are all good when used properly.

Agree the LA should still be fine but won't do much for pneumonia. In addition to the above suggestions, I've had good luck with Resflor Gold - same as Nuflor but with Banamine already in it. If I use Baytril or Draxxin then I also use Banamine for the fever.

Even on a weekend or evening, if I call my vet he'll either come out or meet me at the clinic with a pre-filled syringe. 104 isn't scary high - yet.

TCRanch said:
Agree the LA should still be fine but won't do much for pneumonia. In addition to the above suggestions, I've had good luck with Resflor Gold - same as Nuflor but with Banamine already in it. If I use Baytril or Draxxin then I also use Banamine for the fever.

Even on a weekend or evening, if I call my vet he'll either come out or meet me at the clinic with a pre-filled syringe. 104 isn't scary high - yet.

Draxxin, that's the one I forgot.lol.
I always use flunix (generic Bannamine). I've had good luck with Resflor Gold, but I can treat with Nuflor and flunix cheaper. I also prefer IV ing the flunix.
I get the best results when cattle have that 103.5-105 fever. Low grade fevers can be harder to break, and seem to just drag on sometimes. 106-108 and they get brain damage. Their sometimes out of their head and can be dangerous to work with.

TCRanch said:

Good advice there. Best to establish a good relationship with a vet before the emergency. Once the relationship is established, a phone call to the vet will usually get you access to the drugs you need fairly quick. Trying to establish that relationship after hours on an emergency basis is difficult.

If the calf is holding their head down, ears drooped, and open mouth breathing, a prescription drug is going to be needed.

SBMF 2015 said:
TCRanch said:

I always use flunix (generic Bannamine). I've had good luck with Resflor Gold, but I can treat with Nuflor and flunix cheaper. I also prefer IV ing the flunix.
I get the best results when cattle have that 103.5-105 fever. Low grade fevers can be harder to break, and seem to just drag on sometimes. 106-108 and they get brain damage. Their sometimes out of their head and can be dangerous to work with.
Yikes! Color me lucky, I've never had one with a temp that high. That I know of.

Ever tried Zuprevo? Similar to Draxxin and I believe it's a little less expensive. Was recommended by a friend but fortunately haven't had to need to try it yet (wait 'til weaning :roll: ).

TCRanch said:
SBMF 2015 said:
TCRanch said:

Yikes! Color me lucky, I've never had one with a temp that high. That I know of.

Ever tried Zuprevo? Similar to Draxxin and I believe it's a little less expensive. Was recommended by a friend but fortunately haven't had to need to try it yet (wait 'til weaning :roll: ).

Not to sound over dramatic, but I think I've tried everything out there.
For what they cost I have been fairly unhappy with the results from Draxxin, Zuprevo, Zactran, and Exceede.
I have had much better luck walking pens, pulling droopy calves, temping & treating, then rechecking in 48hrs. I have had really good results on particularly sick cattle using Advocin (the old A180) and Exceede together. I still recheck in 48hrs.

I agree with the others that say the LA 300 is likely still good. I also agree that if an animal has pneumonia I would treat with something else instead. I only use LA 200 or 300 for pinkeye or possibly some kind of mild infection. I have used NuFlor, or ResFlor which is NuFlor with Banamine, Baytril, and Draxxin quite a bit for pneumonia and respiratory diseases. Really don't know that I have a favorite, the main thing is early detection and treatment for best results with any of them. I will say that is especially true with Draxxin. It is good but from what our vet said it is slower to take effect but it is longer lasting.

SBMF 2015 said:
TCRanch said:
SBMF 2015 said:

Not to sound over dramatic, but I think I've tried everything out there.
For what they cost I have been fairly unhappy with the results from Draxxin, Zuprevo, Zactran, and Exceede.
I have had much better luck walking pens, pulling droopy calves, temping & treating, then rechecking in 48hrs. I have had really good results on particularly sick cattle using Advocin (the old A180) and Exceede together. I still recheck in 48hrs.

Speaking of Excede, I used it several times a few years ago. I found that I got an excellent initial response with it, but IF it had to be followed up with a re-treat, it was tough to get them better. Maybe that's where I needed something like the Advocin. Not familiar with it.

Not to hi-jack your thread, CCR, but a lot of good info here.

I'm also not familiar with Advocin but intrigued. Got spanked with pneumonia in my weanlings in '18 and '19 in spite of 2 rounds of respiratory (and record amounts of rain) so upped my game by adding Inforce 3 at birth this year. That said, Resflor Gold was generally one-n-done. I did have to re-treat 2 calves last year. Baytril did the trick with the first one but nada/zero/zilch with the 2nd and I was sure I was going to lose her. Draxxin was the winner and her recovery & subsequent growth was amazing - you absolutely couldn't pick her out of the group as previously near deaths' door by the time I sold.

Excede scares me. I've used it on a super docile cow but proper injection behind the ear on a squirmy calf makes my jaw clench.

Thanks for all the replies. Don't know if he has pneumonia or not. He seems better now, he's out there eating grass now.

Will call the vet 1st thing in the morning. We've been using this vet over 10 years and comes out at least once a year, and a few times right after I call him when we have some kind of an emergency situation. Going to ask for Resflor Gold (antibiotic with fever reducer - right?) in the morning, but he may suggest something else, which we will do.

Got steer in a small trap away from his other siblings. Don't know if his sickness is contagious or not.

Thanks again.

Ky hills said:
I agree with the others that say the LA 300 is likely still good. I also agree that if an animal has pneumonia I would treat with something else instead. I only use LA 200 or 300 for pinkeye or possibly some kind of mild infection. I have used NuFlor, or ResFlor which is NuFlor with Banamine, Baytril, and Draxxin quite a bit for pneumonia and respiratory diseases. Really don't know that I have a favorite, the main thing is early detection and treatment for best results with any of them. I will say that is especially true with Draxxin. It is good but from what our vet said it is slower to take effect but it is longer lasting.

Bingo! And foot rot. Actually, if I catch foot rot early I can generally just hand-feed Sustain III Cattle boluses in the pasture (eliminating the hassle & subsequent drama of catching them, generally transporting & working them in the chute). LA200/300 is also the go-to for Anaplasmosis.

ccr said:
Thanks for all the replies. Don't know if he has pneumonia or not. He seems better now, he's out there eating grass now.

Will call the vet 1st thing in the morning. We've been using this vet over 10 years and comes out at least once a year, and a few times right after I call him when we have some kind of an emergency situation. Going to ask for Resflor Gold (antibiotic with fever reducer - right?) in the morning, but he may suggest something else, which we will do.

Got steer in a small trap away from his other siblings. Don't know if his sickness is contagious or not.

Thanks again.

Eating is always a great sign. Keep us posted

TCRanch said:
Not to hi-jack your thread, CCR, but a lot of good info here.

I'm also not familiar with Advocin but intrigued. Got spanked with pneumonia in my weanlings in '18 and '19 in spite of 2 rounds of respiratory (and record amounts of rain) so upped my game by adding Inforce 3 at birth this year. That said, Resflor Gold was generally one-n-done. I did have to re-treat 2 calves last year. Baytril did the trick with the first one but nada/zero/zilch with the 2nd and I was sure I was going to lose her. Draxxin was the winner and her recovery & subsequent growth was amazing - you absolutely couldn't pick her out of the group as previously near deaths' door by the time I sold.

Excede scares me. I've used it on a super docile cow but proper injection behind the ear on a squirmy calf makes my jaw clench.

Baytril is enrofloxacin. Advocin is danofloxacin. They are similar but different. When it first came out Advocin was called A180. It was marketed to the feed lots as a cousin of Baytril with a much shorter slaughter withdrawal.

At the sale barn we used to give all the feeder cattle the sale barn bought, a shot of Exceede to ward off evil spirits on there ride to a Kansas feedlot. There were some nights we would treat 3-400 calves with Exceede. In all the thousands we treated we only killed one that we knew of. It's instant, you can't get the headgate open before they drop.
We got really good. Two of us, one on either side of the headgate. Implant in one ear Exceede in the other. Someone would keep the syringes full while we worked.

TCRanch said:
SBMF 2015 said:
TCRanch said:

I've used Zuprevo and Zactran with some success, but didn't find them to be as consistently effective as Draxxin. The price difference isn't big enough to make up for it, in my opinion. When Draxxin doesn't work, I switch to Baytril.

Nuflor is a pain to work with and I don't use it much. The price tag on the bottle is cheaper, but a bottle doesn't go as far as it does for the other drugs.

Excede just isn't a great drug for pneumonia. It isn't designed to reach and maintain high concentrations in lung tissue. It works great for metritis or foot rot, though.

I doctored a steer friday with resflor gold a penicillin. So far so good. these hot humid days make it tough on em. I pen my sick cattle in the shade ecspecially when theres a fever involved.

On day 3 after administering LA 300 on the calf, that had foam coming out of his mouth, contacted the vet and he said probably bad pneumonia and needed something stronger than LA 300, but not Resflor Gold because Nuflor is "too hot" (the weather temp was 103° today). Vet came out and gave him draxxin, IV sulfa, and banamine (his temp was 105.1).

While the vet was here we ran the other 6 calves thru the chute, which the vet said looked good and were probably ok, but we checked their temp. They had temps ranging from 104° to 107°, but not showing sickness symptoms. These 6 all got a draxxin injection.

Not sure I trust these temps. We checked one calf with the thermometer we have been using and it was 0.6° (104.3° v 104.9°) different than vet's thermometer. One calf we had to run thru twice. Using the vet's thermometer on both times the temp that was taken there was 1.1° difference.

These calves were vaccinated at 5 months and again at 6 months with ViraShield 6+VL5 and Covexin 8, 3 to 4 weeks prior to weaning (their now 7 to 9 months old). Didn't have this problem last year with same vaccinations and protocol.

Thanks to all for help and suggestions. I would have probably waited till they started showing more symptoms and were closer to death before we did something without y'alls suggestions - this is why I joined this board and appreciate the advice.

Latest posts