LA-200

Help Support CattleToday:

flaboy

Reaction score
Back a long time ago Dun (he might not remember) suggested I use LA-200 for something I forget also. At any rate I have used it several times and seems to do the job. My problem is I am about to quit using it as it just leaves a big ol knot on thiers necks for a long time. I have read where "improper" injection methods may cause this, let me tell I have given more than just a few shots in my life. I know how to do it. Seems like it doesn't matter if you distribute the injection between injection sites either. I even injected less than recommended per site with basically the same results.

So ok here's my delimma. What do you recommend as an alternate "all around" antibiotic in place of LA-200?

I'll knock on wood here, but I have never had LA-200 leave a knot. On a big animal, you have so many injection sites, it would be a mess if they knotted. I don't recall ever having any antibiotic leave a knot.

All we use LA-200 for is footrot. I've never had a knot from it. Just don;t give more then 10cc (I do 12) in any one site and make sure it's SubQ. Because of th volume required we've started using Excenel for the cows but still use LA-200 for calves.

dun

dun":1lv0m1cb said:
All we use LA-200 for is footrot. I've never had a knot from it. Just don;t give more then 10cc (I do 12) in any one site and make sure it's SubQ. Because of th volume required we've started using Excenel for the cows but still use LA-200 for calves.

dun

what is the cost of excenel?

thanks

jt

dun":1lwkehs6 said:

dun

I don't recall what I asked you about some years ago but the LA-200 did the trick. I wonder if it (knots)has anything to do with the heat/humidity down here? I have two replacements I bought at a really good price. One Angus, one Brangus. I gave them both shots some weeks later as I was convinced the herd they came from had pinkeye and thiers were showing signs also. I gave 10cc in one site and 9 in another on one. I gave 9 cc and 6 cc on the other. All the sites are knotted up. This is almost three weeks later. The one site where the one heifer moved on me an I ran the needle through and through, pulled it back in an then pulled the plunger back just to make sure I was SubQ actually is not as bad as the other. Go figure. I will look up Excenel and see how it reads.

I've used LA-200 and had knots. I aksed the Vet and was told it will do that because it is time controlled absorbed carrier. the knots may not away but they peel away with the hide at slaugther. I have not had good luck with it on shipping sickness. as the bottle says it is to help with.

that why they say give all the shots in neck b/c the knots there wont bruise saleable meat scott

Craig-TX":1r6nnjuu said:
We don't generally get knots but if we do we don't worry about them.

Craig, I never worried about them either. As a matter of fact some of my cows got knots from the vaccinatins also but I didn't worry about it. I just got concerned now that I seem to be selling quite a few to 4H'rs. I know they won't like knots on their show calves. Mine I don't worry about. The only show they see is if I do something stupid like fall off a fence or step in a diller hole, or maybe bust my butt in wet grass. :lol:

About 75 % of the time LA200 leaves knots on my cows when given subq. They usually go away in about 6 weeks. I do not give la200 subq on show cattle. I give it intramuscular. Works the same, probably leaves a knot in the muscle but no one can see it there. I've had blackleg vac's leave knots too occasionally. They usually go away with time. Make sure you stay low on the neck with your shots. There are lots of tendons up high and it is easier to cause an irriation.

SF":1deitnm2 said:
......probably leaves a knot in the muscle but no one can see it there.
You mean no one can see it until they cut into it? Guess looks are more important to you than beef quality? That's a poor attitude for a cattle producer.

Texan":69rxsyhc said:
SF":69rxsyhc said:
You mean no one can see it until they cut into it? Guess looks are more important to you than beef quality? That's a poor attitude for a cattle producer.

I have to agree Texan as the unscrupulous producer hurts us all that are trying to produce a quality product for the consumer.

Texan":otctnixo said:
SF":otctnixo said:

He didn't say he knew it left a knot in the muscle, just that he suspected it might. That is a question I would like to know more about as I give it IM, is it a given? Who has the data or proof?

Texan":1rlp76ca said:
SF":1rlp76ca said:

Read what I said. Don't misquote me. Don't take what I said out of context.

I said that I give it in the muscle for show cattle so I don't have any exposed knots. Yes, on my show cattle, looks are very important. These are bulls and heifers that are part of my breeding herd. They are not going to slaughter. No one will be cutting into them. The knots will disappear in 4 to 6 weeks

Campground Cattle":cyt1hx06 said:
Not putting my dog in SF but those cattle never get eaten?

Years down the road, they might. Don't reckon they will be good for anything but hamburger by then, if that.

This procedure has been recommended by more than one vet.

I get your point though Camp, and point taken.

Farminlund":3de18ndw said:
.....is it a given?
Yes.

Farminlund":3de18ndw said:
Who has the data or proof?
I thought everybody knew it. Apparently not, though. Why do you think they went to all the trouble and expense to change the label to make it approved for SQ use?

Believe it or not, there are some cases where reasonable people don't need "data or proof." Maybe somebody else will provide it for you. Injection site lesions are a helluva big problem in our industry. Be part of the solution instead of being part of the problem.

Farminlund":32md5r38 said:
Texan":32md5r38 said:
SF":32md5r38 said:

He didn't say he knew it left a knot in the muscle, just that he suspected it might. That is a question I would like to know more about as I give it IM, is it a given? Who has the data or proof?

Since using the product IM is "off label", for beef cattle, you may not find any proven data. Based upon my experience, I'd say the probability of the knots in the muscle are about 99.9%. There are many products that will do this. LA200 is just one of them. I'm not recommending using LA200 IM. I simply made a statement that has brought more reaction than expected. We do many things with our show cattle that we don't do to our commercial cattle to protect their appearance.

We don't have to use LA200 very often, so this is generally a non-issue for us.

I want to repeat myself here, so I won't be mis-understood. I am not recommending the use of LA200 IM for cattle.

Latest posts