La 200

Help Support CattleToday:

Nick, if I recall correctly, you do not have a vet so unable to use anything with a RX?? If you're still planning on giving this steer a shot with a dart gun in a horse stall, otherwise unrestrained, please be aware he's NOT going to be happy. Have someone with you and I'd still recommend somehow securing him with at least a halter.

A panel inside the horse stall can work like a medina gate
Or two panels to make an alley
Run him in the alley then slide a post horizontal behind him so he can't back out

Ok so I woke up this morning and to my surprise he was laying ALONE in the horse stall sleeping (it's more an out building with two stalls in the pasture). I took this as a sign and snuck around the building and closed the gate, locking him in. I than pulled my pickup truck to block gate bc once pi$$ed he could probably barrel through gate. It also left me feeling much safer in the pickup. I rolled down the window and shot 4 darts all of which bounced off him. I thought nailing him w the darts from 10 ft away was going to be the easy part. I called company and they said I needed to adjust pressure knob, I had too much pressure. I reloaded and adjusted pressure. 4 darts stuck him right before he was able to wiggle free. Probably not going to make any documentary on my cattle handling skills anytime soon but he has 40 cc of la 200 flowing through him. He did fine too. Was obviously freaked but who wouldn't be after being shot w 8 darts. The darts stuck nice from that flabby skin below his neck. Got 3 in one side and one on other. Will definitely use la300 in future to limit to 2 darts or maybe find a script for something better. Trick will be to do a 2nd treatment. Doubtful he will go near out building again. Pinkeye looks pretty bad and I think he has it in both eyes. Both are white and watery and one has pinkish cyst like thing in middle. Also for those that don't like tractor supply I agree but as far as I know it's all I got around here.

Cross-7":1nooqm5w said:
A panel inside the horse stall can work like a medina gate
Or two panels to make an alley
Run him in the alley then slide a post horizontal behind him so he can't back out

Yea some sort of medina gate is on my to do list.

Nicklausjames":m6khh0c3 said:
It's almsot a year, probably about 700 lbs. if you've got a better idea I'd love to hear it.

You have already gotten both suggestions I was going to give you. While I have had a working pen with a squeeze chute for many years now when I was first starting out I have used a rope and tree to med cattle. I have also used a panel in a stall in the barn, penned the cow on the wall and secured the panel well, just like a squeeze chute only a lot more work to get the animal secure.

Nicklausjames":muu1jn2o said:
The darts stuck nice from that flabby skin below his neck. Got 3 in one side and one on other.

The flabby skin below the neck certainly isn't an intermuscular (IM) location. It is questionable how fast drugs placed in that location will get into the steers system. Next time shoot up higher, in the muscle on the side of the neck in front of the shoulder.

Dave":37xbwwrn said:
Nicklausjames":37xbwwrn said:
The darts stuck nice from that flabby skin below his neck. Got 3 in one side and one on other.

The flabby skin below the neck certainly isn't an intermuscular (IM) location. It is questionable how fast drugs placed in that location will get into the steers system. Next time shoot up higher, in the muscle on the side of the neck in front of the shoulder.

That was my thought also, it's done and over for now but I would be concerned about how much of the drug got in the system. Just my thoughts, the steer is treated.

Not sure if it got in the muscle or not. The needle is only 1/2 inch so probably not. The instructions for LA200 say inject SC, so that's what I did. Do people recommend IM? I'm going to get some LA 300 online and give a 2nd dose in a few days with my remaining syringes. Should I in the future go for IM?

Nicklausjames":1iuqg6in said:
Not sure if it got in the muscle or not. The needle is only 1/2 inch so probably not. The instructions for LA200 say inject SC, so that's what I did. Do people recommend IM? I'm going to get some LA 300 online and give a 2nd dose in a few days with my remaining syringes. Should I in the future go for IM?

If it was me in your position I would call the manufacturer, I believe Zoetis, and talk to their vets. They will be happy to help, also give them all the details, using a dart with a half inch needle, placement of darts etc. if you plan on putting the steer in the freezer ask them about IM shots and what it does to the meat. IM worked very well for me, but it was on a nice cow that won't make it to my freezer.

The steer is for beef. The instructions for the LA 200 say SC. does anyone else think it needs to be IM?

Also go back and read earlier post on the difference between la200 and 300
You've already bought the 200.

Going by memory right now but I remember LA 200 being either IM or SC. I have done it both ways. Even both ways on the same critter as in two shots IM and two shots SC. IM just gets into the system quicker. Also I do SC higher up because I am not sure how much circulation there is down in the flappy lower neck skin. That and there is a triangle on the side of the neck where a couple different drug company vets and my vet have said is the place to put shots. But I have a squeeze chute so I can put shots where I want them. When I have to use the dart gun it is out in the pasture and I use Draxxin so I am only giving one shot.

Cross-7":2eh6y9ci said:

Thx. that video was pretty useful. I probably got most of my injections just below that triangle. They definitely weren't in the shoulder or rump or anything.

Regarding purchasing new LA 300. Well I wouldn't but I only bought a 100ml of LA 200. I wasted 40 ml of it figuring out how to use the dart gun. I than injected 40 ml, so I don't have enough for a 2nd treatment. Since the LA 300 is basically the same price and will only require 2 darts I'd much rather use it.

For the others that are questioning whether LA 200 is SC or IM. Here are the instructions "Cattle: Liquamycin LA-200 is to be administered by subcutaneous (SC, under the skin) or intravenous injection according to Beef Quality Assurance Guidelines." They also say:
"Subcutaneous injections in beef cattle, dairy cattle, and calves, including preruminating (veal) calves, should be made by directing the needle of suitable gauge and length through the loose folds of the neck skin in front of the shoulder. Care should be taken to ensure that the tip of the needle has penetrated the skin but is not lodged in muscle."

I'm not saying its right or wrong that's just what the instructions say.

Nicklausjames":f70i62ap said:
Cross-7":f70i62ap said:

Thx. that video was pretty useful. I probably got most of my injections just below that triangle. They definitely weren't in the shoulder or rump or anything.

Regarding purchasing new LA 300. Well I wouldn't but I only bought a 100ml of LA 200. I wasted 40 ml of it figuring out how to use the dart gun. I than injected 40 ml, so I don't have enough for a 2nd treatment. Since the LA 300 is basically the same price and will only require 2 darts I'd much rather use it.

For the others that are questioning whether LA 200 is SC or IM. Here are the instructions "Cattle: Liquamycin LA-200 is to be administered by subcutaneous (SC, under the skin) or intravenous injection according to Beef Quality Assurance Guidelines." They also say:
"Subcutaneous injections in beef cattle, dairy cattle, and calves, including preruminating (veal) calves, should be made by directing the needle of suitable gauge and length through the loose folds of the neck skin in front of the shoulder. Care should be taken to ensure that the tip of the needle has penetrated the skin but is not lodged in muscle."

I'm not saying its right or wrong that's just what the instructions say.

There is no tissue damage with sub Q hence the bqa guidline recommendation. For a Cow I stick it in her azz or shoulder (IM) if its a steer or heifer that will be sold I will do sub q but I do it just below topline above the shoulder . don't know it that helps or not but that's how I do it.