La 200

Help Support CattleToday:

Nicklausjames

Reaction score
I have a steer w pinkeye. I'm ready to treat w la200. Does it normally take more than one treatment? If, when do you give 2nd. I was thinking of giving two no matter what bc la200 says it's only good for 28 days after punctured anyways. If I give 2 when should 2nd be?

Depends on the severity of the eye. Is it ulcerated or just cloudy & watering? If it's already ulcerated you'll probably have to do another round. I would also flush the eye with Vetericyn. I haven't used LA200 in a long time (I use 300) but you can generally re-treat within 24 - 48 hours. Read the label carefully! The 28 days is the withdrawal period, longer if there's a lot of bruising/swelling at the injection site.

I usually treat twice, three days apart. Don't expect immediate results, It takes some time. Get the calf out of the bright sunshine helps a lot and make sure he is treated for flies.

Also if you don't reenter the bottle with a contaminated needle, the LA 200 will be OK to keep around. Don't let it get hot.

Nicklausjames":9277t4se said:
I have a steer w pinkeye. I'm ready to treat w la200. Does it normally take more than one treatment? If, when do you give 2nd. I was thinking of giving two no matter what bc la200 says it's only good for 28 days after punctured anyways. If I give 2 when should 2nd be?

I just treated my first case of pink eye in a few years with la200. I gave the second dose three days after the first. I also dosed heavy, meaning if the calculated dose was 10 cc's I dosed 12. I missed this part in the past, but for pink eye la 200 is a IM shot, not sub Q, just saying because I had made that mistake in the past, two doses worked great. I have never worried about punctured bottles, I go by experation date, but may be another mistake by me.

I spoke with a person in the know about the LA products that turn black after they have been opened. I told me on good authority that the product was fine to use. However I did pick up a bottle of bio-mycin 200 that does not have the same ingredient that turns the LA black . I have not had to use any yet so I can not speak of its effectiveness

Nicklausjames":2qesk5gi said:

Nick, in my previous response I misunderstood what you were referring to re: 28 days. It should be fine.

Alan":2gp8aech said:
Nicklausjames":2gp8aech said:

I just treated my first case of pink eye in a few years with la200. I gave the second dose three days after the first. I also dosed heavy, meaning if the calculated dose was 10 cc's I dosed 12. I missed this part in the past, but for pink eye la 200 is a IM shot, not sub Q, just saying because I had made that mistake in the past, two doses worked great. I have never worried about punctured bottles, I go by experation date, but may be another mistake by me.

From the label
DOSAGE:

Cattle: Liquamycin LA-200 is to be administered by subcutaneous (SC, under the skin) or intravenous injection according to Beef Quality Assurance Guidelines.

A single dosage of 9 mg of Liquamycin LA-200 per lb of body weight administered subcutaneously is recommended in the treatment of the following conditions: 1) bacterial pneumonia caused by Pasteurella spp. (shipping fever) in calves and yearlings, where retreatment is impractical due to husbandry conditions, such as cattle on range, or where their repeated restraint is inadvisable; 2) infectious bovine keratoconjunctivitis (pinkeye) caused by Moraxella bovis.

For pink eye, I use LA 200, and either an eye patch or leave the calf in the barn for a few days. If the eye still looks bad, I give a second dose in 3 days. I have noticed that the medicine does turn dark, but I use it any way, unless it is outdated.

kenny thomas":2aggtw02 said:
Alan":2aggtw02 said:
Nicklausjames":2aggtw02 said:

From the label
DOSAGE:

Cattle: Liquamycin LA-200 is to be administered by subcutaneous (SC, under the skin) or intravenous injection according to Beef Quality Assurance Guidelines.

A single dosage of 9 mg of Liquamycin LA-200 per lb of body weight administered subcutaneously is recommended in the treatment of the following conditions: 1) bacterial pneumonia caused by Pasteurella spp. (shipping fever) in calves and yearlings, where retreatment is impractical due to husbandry conditions, such as cattle on range, or where their repeated restraint is inadvisable; 2) infectious bovine keratoconjunctivitis (pinkeye) caused by Moraxella bovis.

I'm sure I doubled checked the label, which is not saying IM is right. I have always gave it sub Q in the past but going IM this time sure cleared it up quick. This was on one of my better cows so slaughter was not a concern for me at the time. When I have more time I'll do some research on it, I could be wrong and like any good country do it yourself Doctor I threw out the instructions...

IMO La200 is worthless. Had pretty good luck with la300. Best treatment for pink eye is 2 cc of nuflor in both the upper and lower eyelids of the affected eye (you'll need a head table on your head gate). This will clear it up in 3-4 days.

I'm wrong, I can't find anything saying give it IM, but it worked very well for me. She was short bred hope it all goes well.

Lazy M":l09hing7 said:
IMO La200 is worthless. Had pretty good luck with la300. Best treatment for pink eye is 2 cc of nuflor in both the upper and lower eyelids of the affected eye (you'll need a head table on your head gate). This will clear it up in 3-4 days.

Only difference between LA200 and La300
Is 200 gives 200mg of oxytetracycline vs 300 in La300
The goal is to get the antibodies into the blood stream
Administering in the eye lid is a poor avenue
The leakage onto the eye will be wiped away as soon as it hit the eye

M-5":30knvbeg said:
I spoke with a person in the know about the LA products that turn black after they have been opened. I told me on good authority that the product was fine to use. However I did pick up a bottle of bio-mycin 200 that does not have the same ingredient that turns the LA black . I have not had to use any yet so I can not speak of its effectiveness
I used Bio-mycin for years since it has a no sting carrier.Have switched to Noromycin 300 because of using less per cow.Been treating pinkeye twice.300mg is given SQ

What is the difference w la300? I didn't see that at tractor supply? Where do you get it? I would love to put a patch on the animal or spray stuff in its eyes as you guys recommend but I don't really have a way to incapacitate the animal. My plan is to get it locked in a horse stall and shoot it w 4 10cc darts filled w the la200.

Nicklausjames":vr299thj said:
What is the difference w la300? I didn't see that at tractor supply? Where do you get it? I would love to put a patch on the animal or spray stuff in its eyes as you guys recommend but I don't really have a way to incapacitate the animal. My plan is to get it locked in a horse stall and shoot it w 4 10cc darts filled w the la200.
First if you will put your location people have a better idea of what stores are in your area. Tractor supply is not the place to get most meds. The LA300 has a lesser dose so it is even easier to get the shots in. 3cc per 100 lb if I remember correctly. And unlike some other DO IT YOURSELF COUNTRY DOCTORS I do keep and follow the instructions so I would have to look at them to be sure. I am old and so forgetful I have to keep all paperwork with everything. :help:

The only difference is la300 is stronger then la200, therefore a smaller dose. As stated la200 is 200 mg per ml and la300 is 300mg per ml. They do the same thing in different doses.

Nicklausjames":31isftlf said:

This method will almost certainly be IM. Make sure you record and post a video. Should be interesting. How big is your steer? Restraining him sure would make it less stressful on both of you if there's any way possible.

JMJ Farms":2rdno1qt said:
Nicklausjames":2rdno1qt said:

This method will almost certainly be IM. Make sure you record and post a video. Should be interesting. How big is your steer? Restraining him sure would make it less stressful on both of you if there's any way possible.

Okay, I'll say it, that really sounds like a bad idea, lots of better ways to restrain it without working facilities. But we need some basics, such as how old is,the calf and how much does it weigh? You're sitting yourself up for a wreck, the wrong dose and too much work if you plan on a horse stall and darts.

Latest posts