200 acres and a thought

Help Support CattleToday:

Okie95

Reaction score
So in a little town in Oklahoma called Stratford my friend and I have decided that we might get in to cattle. We have around 200 acres on one piece of land 50 on another and 100 on another. this land is currently leased to other ranchers, but we were debating on when their lease is up to buy our own herds and get into the industry. I have some questions that would be awesome if I got answers from people who have been in a similar position.

1. Save up cash for the cattle or loans?

2. Should I also give chickens or hogs a go?

3. How would I supplement my income until the cattle are ready to be sold?

4. What kind of profit margins would you expect if I stocked the land with one cow or heifer per 2 acres?

Any other knowledge or tips would be greatly appreciated. As far as our experience goes, I have been a farmhand before and have a general idea on the process, we both have been around cattle our life but definitely need to learn more before doing something like this.

:2cents: 1. Cash is king, but I think 50% your own money 50% borrowed is pretty good leverage if the land is paid for 2) chickens and hogs are a lot of work and hard to market IMO 3)keep your job 4) your stocking rate will be about 5 acres per cow on a good year. Your margins will be $100-$200 per year on a cow if the land is payed of free and clear. Stocker margins will be $50-100 but you can run 1-6 rounds of them a year. Ive always done best by being diverse such as half cow calf and half stocker in case one or the other was a flop that year. :2cents:

Thanks a lot for the reply, I'd have to get a new job if I moved down there it's about a hour from where I live, but if I did get a new job how long till I'd be independent on my cattle, or is that even feasible?

Okie95":3q78bbdx said:
So in a little town in Oklahoma called Stratford my friend and I have decided that we might get in to cattle. We have around 200 acres on one piece of land 50 on another and 100 on another. this land is currently leased to other ranchers, but we were debating on when their lease is up to buy our own herds and get into the industry. I have some questions that would be awesome if I got answers from people who have been in a similar position.

1. Save up cash for the cattle or loans?

2. Should I also give chickens or hogs a go?

3. How would I supplement my income until the cattle are ready to be sold?

4. What kind of profit margins would you expect if I stocked the land with one cow or heifer per 2 acres?

Any other knowledge or tips would be greatly appreciated. As far as our experience goes, I have been a farmhand before and have a general idea on the process, we both have been around cattle our life but definitely need to learn more before doing something like this.

Are you sure the grass can support 2 acres per head ?

In one of the fields I believe so, the other 2 it would probably be closer to 1 per 6 acres

Okie95":3suot4i4 said:
Thanks a lot for the reply, I'd have to get a new job if I moved down there it's about a hour from where I live, but if I did get a new job how long till I'd be independent on my cattle, or is that even feasible?

Figure if you can live on a $100 profit per cow per year. This would give you a pretty good baseline. Some years you are going to make considerably more than this, but others you are going to have to skimp and claw to make $100 a cow.

Okie95":2vmyy1e3 said:
I suppose a man could scrape by owning 300 cows this year. If you could run 4-6 rounds of stocker cattle 150 head at a time would come a lot closer to making a living off that acreage. Start small and keep a steady job. The noble foundation out of ardmore has a lot of good literature out for cattle in this area. I drive an hour to work everyday. You have to love it or be crazy, helps if you're both :D

I heard there more profit in goats now than in cattle. If you could keep them in I think it would be great to run a few with the cattle. We did in the past and luckily they stayed in. Keep the day job!

riquezada":2ws0peew said:
I heard there more profit in goats now than in cattle. If you could keep them in I think it would be great to run a few with the cattle. We did in the past and luckily they stayed in. Keep the day job!
Don't get them started on goats here! Lol

One other thing to consider is what you are making now from the land. If you are getting 8500 now you will also subtract that from the bottom line. This would be a life changing decision think it all through with a sharp pencil. I don't like partners, just me. You split the risk and the profit.

I'm in a very similar situation to the original post. I own and live on 200 acres I own free and clear in southwestern Missouri. The land has been leased for a couple of years at $65/acre/year, but I am not satisfied with various aspects of leasing. Although the man leasing my place has good intentions, he falls short of his commitments every year. My land is good and produces a lot of grass, plenty of access to water, and is cross fenced. I figure I can stock the place with 50 cows and still keep 30 acres back exclusively for hay production. I have a tractor and bushhog, barn, etc. My plan is to purchase second period cows in about 6 months so they'd calve in the spring of 2018 or possibly purchase third period cows asap. I'd like to borrow the money from FCS to purchase the cattle and use a portion of the property as collateral. If they won't loan the money, I could draw out half of a retirement fund to pay cash for them. Additionally, I've got enough cash on hand to carry me a couple of years until I can sell some of the offspring. I've been out of work for 18 months so I've come to a crossroads - either get my own cows while the prices are down and run a cow/calf operation or sell the place and move on to where there are more opportunities. Thoughts? Ideas? :bang:

Ruralmissouri":2mekulxn said:
I'm in a very similar situation to the original post. I own and live on 200 acres I own free and clear in southwestern Missouri. The land has been leased for a couple of years at $65/acre/year, but I am not satisfied with various aspects of leasing. Although the man leasing my place has good intentions, he falls short of his commitments every year. My land is good and produces a lot of grass, plenty of access to water, and is cross fenced. I figure I can stock the place with 50 cows and still keep 30 acres back exclusively for hay production. I have a tractor and bushhog, barn, etc. My plan is to purchase second period cows in about 6 months so they'd calve in the spring of 2018 or possibly purchase third period cows asap. I'd like to borrow the money from FCS to purchase the cattle and use a portion of the property as collateral. If they won't loan the money, I could draw out half of a retirement fund to pay cash for them. Additionally, I've got enough cash on hand to carry me a couple of years until I can sell some of the offspring. I've been out of work for 18 months so I've come to a crossroads - either get my own cows while the prices are down and run a cow/calf operation or sell the place and move on to where there are more opportunities. Thoughts? Ideas? :bang:
I think you'll make more money now leasing it out than having your own cows. A lot less time and effort involved too. Maybe just buy a couple cows with cash to breed with your lessees bull to get some baseline numbers on your costs.

Ruralmissouri":3311mymx said:

Couple of thoughts; have you been involved in the actual day to day of raising cattle before? Seems like you have a fair idea of things knowing that the price of cattle are down and owning some equipment and the land free and clear. Since you have been out of work for 18 months, and still figure that you have enough cash on hand to carry you a "couple of years", then to me the whole thing hinges on; "Do you want to have your own cattle???"
Me, I would do something like get 25 bred cows asap. Then pick up say 25-30 feeders to give you a return on your money a little sooner. May not make much on them, and no one knows what the prices will be in 6 months. The price of feeders has leveled out a bit now. It's not great and we all liked that 2.00 to 3.00 lb stuff ALOT, but they have settled here VA in the 1.00 to 1.40 lb range for 5 wts for steers. Heifers are cheaper, avg in the .90's for anything from 4 to 8 wts.; and so many are talking about retaining alot of their heifers so they may get cheaper. How you would finance them would be your choice to make. Can you borrow against your retirement? That might be an option at a better interest rate. Here, I'd buy something in the 6 wt range; our market around here seems to not favor that size and they go a little cheaper; then feed them up to 8-900 lbs and sell them. If you bought @ 1.25 lb @ 600= $750. Then sold @ 850 lbs @ 1.10 = $935. Even at 1.00 lb that would be 100 per head more than what you paid in only say 4-5 months. I am trying to be very conservative on time/weight gain. That is with very little inputs/grain and mostly all grass/hay. Which yes, does cost something. What I am getting at is since you are not working, you aren't putting a money value on your time right now. While you are turning over these steers or even heifer feeders, your smaller cow herd will be having some calves to get you to a place where you can sell their calves at 6-7 months next year.
There was a bred heifer sale here last week, just commercial and most were pretty decent and they didn't go over 1200 head. I don't like to buy heifers, only older cows, as we raise most all replacement heifers out of our own cows, but we buy and sell some cows to help keep up with the various places we rent. And I don't buy the "best" cows, mostly the avg or below and we do okay. Make some, lose some, but mostly pretty okay.
We are not set up that well to keep alot of 4-6 wt stuff due to fences and the greater requirements of feed and where we can keep them. So we sell mostly feeders in the 4-550 range and keep 20-30 heifers to raise up; and concentrate on the cow/calf operation. But we do dabble in a few small groups of feeders when we can buy them at a reduced price on an off week. Everything we have is rented, except for a 75 acre farm, that is mortgaged, that we just bought. So we have to pay out rents and mortgage payments and some equipment payments. We make all our own hay, sell a couple thousand small square bales to help pay haying costs, and do some custom bushhogging too. Both my son and I work full time jobs although I am close to retirement.
The thing is, WE WANT TO DO THIS. We'd have to be crazy to do this to get rich - well maybe we are just crazy anyway. :deadhorse: :bang: . But if your place is paid for, and you don't have to put out alot of money except for the animals, I think you could do it and make a modest living at it. If it isn't what you like, then NO don't do it. Do you want to move? Do you have any friends that are farming that you could just sit down with and see the nitty gritty of the day to day expenses? You are going to have some losses, cows get sick, calves die....the market isn't good but I think it is near bottom, although it may sink a bit more. I don't know if we will see the highs we saw for a long time, IF EVER AGAIN in my lifetime, but I think that there will be a leveling out. If you can buy right, them you should be able to get back what you have invested, if you decide to sell out at pound prices if you also have at least one calf crop to sold. The import market is a big IF, but with Trump in there I think that it might not be as wide open as it might have been. That might hurt our exports too...so it's a wait and see game. Most farmers that I know, and most on here, seem to think we will be better off with Trump in, so we will just have to see how it goes. Also, the drought conditions will dictate whether there will be a sell off of breeding stock and that might boost prices. If the prices in the store would reflect the lower prices we are receiving then there would be an increase in consumption and help to stabilize the prices too.
WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO????

farmerjan":3gy9l3uh said:
Ruralmissouri":3gy9l3uh said:

Couple of thoughts; have you been involved in the actual day to day of raising cattle before? Seems like you have a fair idea of things knowing that the price of cattle are down and owning some equipment and the land free and clear. Since you have been out of work for 18 months, and still figure that you have enough cash on hand to carry you a "couple of years", then to me the whole thing hinges on; "Do you want to have your own cattle???"
Me, I would do something like get 25 bred cows asap. Then pick up say 25-30 feeders to give you a return on your money a little sooner. May not make much on them, and no one knows what the prices will be in 6 months. The price of feeders has leveled out a bit now. It's not great and we all liked that 2.00 to 3.00 lb stuff ALOT, but they have settled here VA in the 1.00 to 1.40 lb range for 5 wts for steers. Heifers are cheaper, avg in the .90's for anything from 4 to 8 wts.; and so many are talking about retaining alot of their heifers so they may get cheaper. How you would finance them would be your choice to make. Can you borrow against your retirement? That might be an option at a better interest rate. Here, I'd buy something in the 6 wt range; our market around here seems to not favor that size and they go a little cheaper; then feed them up to 8-900 lbs and sell them. If you bought @ 1.25 lb @ 600= $750. Then sold @ 850 lbs @ 1.10 = $935. Even at 1.00 lb that would be 100 per head more than what you paid in only say 4-5 months. I am trying to be very conservative on time/weight gain. That is with very little inputs/grain and mostly all grass/hay. Which yes, does cost something. What I am getting at is since you are not working, you aren't putting a money value on your time right now. While you are turning over these steers or even heifer feeders, your smaller cow herd will be having some calves to get you to a place where you can sell their calves at 6-7 months next year.
There was a bred heifer sale here last week, just commercial and most were pretty decent and they didn't go over 1200 head. I don't like to buy heifers, only older cows, as we raise most all replacement heifers out of our own cows, but we buy and sell some cows to help keep up with the various places we rent. And I don't buy the "best" cows, mostly the avg or below and we do okay. Make some, lose some, but mostly pretty okay.
We are not set up that well to keep alot of 4-6 wt stuff due to fences and the greater requirements of feed and where we can keep them. So we sell mostly feeders in the 4-550 range and keep 20-30 heifers to raise up; and concentrate on the cow/calf operation. But we do dabble in a few small groups of feeders when we can buy them at a reduced price on an off week. Everything we have is rented, except for a 75 acre farm, that is mortgaged, that we just bought. So we have to pay out rents and mortgage payments and some equipment payments. We make all our own hay, sell a couple thousand small square bales to help pay haying costs, and do some custom bushhogging too. Both my son and I work full time jobs although I am close to retirement.
The thing is, WE WANT TO DO THIS. We'd have to be crazy to do this to get rich - well maybe we are just crazy anyway. :deadhorse: :bang: . But if your place is paid for, and you don't have to put out alot of money except for the animals, I think you could do it and make a modest living at it. If it isn't what you like, then NO don't do it. Do you want to move? Do you have any friends that are farming that you could just sit down with and see the nitty gritty of the day to day expenses? You are going to have some losses, cows get sick, calves die....the market isn't good but I think it is near bottom, although it may sink a bit more. I don't know if we will see the highs we saw for a long time, IF EVER AGAIN in my lifetime, but I think that there will be a leveling out. If you can buy right, them you should be able to get back what you have invested, if you decide to sell out at pound prices if you also have at least one calf crop to sold. The import market is a big IF, but with Trump in there I think that it might not be as wide open as it might have been. That might hurt our exports too...so it's a wait and see game. Most farmers that I know, and most on here, seem to think we will be better off with Trump in, so we will just have to see how it goes. Also, the drought conditions will dictate whether there will be a sell off of breeding stock and that might boost prices. If the prices in the store would reflect the lower prices we are receiving then there would be an increase in consumption and help to stabilize the prices too.
WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO????
Do you not think that your cog would be lower by feeding a bit more and keeping them shorter term while also raising your annual ROI? My goal is $100 profit in 100 days. I don't always make it, but if I didn't have a goal I would never make it.

Ruralmissouri":1gvwiufx said:

If you are getting $65/acre for all 200 acres I'd keep leasing and not own a cow. That's a heck of a rate for pasture in my part of MO.

@RM90; I was basically trying to present a hypothetical on the rate of gain and return on investment. We usually do better than that but we don't raise very many like that....I was trying to be very conservative on the amount the feeders make, to try to not have someone expect a big profit right off the bat. Because we do so few I am not an expert on that but have a retired veterinarian friend that buys about 60 or more in the spring and puts them out to pasture on family land and them sells in the fall. Yeah he got really burnt last year but before that said he made record profits... and I was trying to remember what he was telling us about rate of gain etc. My big thing was to maybe offer an alternative to just a cow/calf operation, and that he could realize some income in the interim...
But the big thing...does he really WANT to have his own cows.

farmerjan":wjb4ym3p said:
@RM90; I was basically trying to present a hypothetical on the rate of gain and return on investment. We usually do better than that but we don't raise very many like that....I was trying to be very conservative on the amount the feeders make, to try to not have someone expect a big profit right off the bat. Because we do so few I am not an expert on that but have a retired veterinarian friend that buys about 60 or more in the spring and puts them out to pasture on family land and them sells in the fall. Yeah he got really burnt last year but before that said he made record profits... and I was trying to remember what he was telling us about rate of gain etc. My big thing was to maybe offer an alternative to just a cow/calf operation, and that he could realize some income in the interim...
But the big thing...does he really WANT to have his own cows.
Not critiquing your operation at all Jan. Is a calf making a dollar a day unrealistic if theyre gaining at least 1.5 lbs? If you don't put anything in to them you won't get anything out. One of the best lessons I learned was on a set of customer cattle to turn out in April, they didn't show up til June and the grass was already rank and layed over. They weighed 492 when they came in and by fall were pushing 650. The customer didn't send any hay or feed being there was still a lot of rank grass out there. They weighed 515 when they shipped out in January. A little supplemental protein would have turned those negative numbers into positives.

Latest posts