? LA 200 injections

Help Support CattleToday:

Roger/OH

Reaction score
I have a cow with an eye problem, thinking pink eye and the next date the Vet can come in is next Fri. I got her in the barn and plan on squeezing her between two gates, put a rope around her neck, cinch her up to a post and injecting her with LA 200 in the morning. Done this many times with calves and yearlings, but not with a full grown cow.
The label recomends a max of 10cc per site. I will need 40cc for her. I was talking to a neighbor that has raised cattle all his life. When I mentioned the 10cc rule he did not know that. He said he just gives them the dosage in one site.
It will be a challendge to get one in her. I am thinking about doing to 20cc injections insted of 4 10cc ones.
Any opinions?

I've more than once given the entire thing in one site. When you have 1400lbs of mad cow and not the facilities to properly restrain 'em, you try your best to stick them as few times as possible and get the job accomplished as quickly as is humanly possible. Not ideal, but then it's not a perfect world either.

BTW, 4.5-5mL/cwt is the standard dosage. It'd be a pretty small cow to only need 40cc's.

Are you going to shoot subq? I can't imagine 40cc subq in one site. I think the restriction is due to slaughter withdrawl, but you might also have other issues. I have a gizmo called a slap-shot that is a flexible tube with a needle fitting at one end and a syringe fitting at the other that lets the cow thrash around quite bit without messing up the needle and you can squeeze the syringe after she calms down from the stick.

Are you sure she's a full grown cow that weighs less than 900lbs? 4.5cc/hundredweight means 40cc is the dosage for a 888lb cow. For a spring calver she'd be about 6 months bred and should weigh quite a bit more if she's a standard beef breed.

If I have any doubt about being able to get them back in to treat, I usually go to 5 or 6cc/hundred.

jkwilson":1rlbbb0f said:
Are you going to shoot subq? I can't imagine 40cc subq in one site. I think the restriction is due to slaughter withdrawl, but you might also have other issues. I have a gizmo called a slap-shot that is a flexible tube with a needle fitting at one end and a syringe fitting at the other that lets the cow thrash around quite bit without messing up the needle and you can squeeze the syringe after she calms down from the stick.

Are you sure she's a full grown cow that weighs less than 900lbs? 4.5cc/hundredweight means 40cc is the dosage for a 888lb cow. For a spring calver she'd be about 6 months bred and should weigh quite a bit more if she's a standard beef breed.

If I have any doubt about being able to get them back in to treat, I usually go to 5 or 6cc/hundred.

Thank you. She is a Texas Longhorn so we are not talking about a standard beef breed. I estimate her weight between 1000 and 1100. Reread the box and you are correct on the dosage.

Internet sight that I have researched, said you could give LA 200 inter-muscular for pinkeye. That would be much easier.

Could you give me a source for the Slap-Shot? It sounds like a great product.

I understand that giving an antibiotic to a stressed animal will greatly reduce the desired results. Use a small sharp needle, pull the skin out and just pierce the skin, and most times they never know it. The main thing is to not get yourself into a bad situation safety wise.

Roger/OH":2hjr0nfg said:
Internet sight that I have researched, said you could give LA 200 inter-muscular for pinkeye. That would be much easier.

Could you give me a source for the Slap-Shot? It sounds like a great product.

LA200 used to be directed to be given IM, but it changed some time back. With a cow, it probably isn't a big deal going IM, but I don't think you'd want to with a market animal.

I don't use the slapshot often, but it's been pretty handy a few times.

I have found the best way for us is to get 1/2 cc of short term and 1/2 cc of long term in one cerenge and inject it into the eye just under the first linse and off to the sinde of the puple the intire eye will turn white give it 1 or 2 days and you can start to see it getting better. You do need to be abile to hold her head verry still.

When I inject LA-200 I never put more than 10cc at one site, and I inject some on both sides of the neck. I rub over the site with my hand after I inject, I think it helps to keep from getting a lump.

Latest posts