injections using repeater syringes

Help Support CattleToday:

ccr

ranch hand
Reaction score
We vaccinated 5 calves about a month ago. Then today we gave the 2nd vaccination. We are using a bottle of 50ml (10 dose) Vira Shield 6 and a 50ml container (10 dose) of Covexin 8 and injecting with two Allflex 50mr2 repeating syringes.

The intent was to administer 5ml per calf, of each vaccine last month and 5ml per calf of each vaccine today for a total of 10ml per calf of each vaccine. 10 ml x 5 calves = 50ml. After we finished up today there was about 4ml left in the Vira Shield bottle and about 7 ml left in the Covexin 8 container.

I wasn't the one giving the injections so I'm not 100% sure about the administration of the vaccines, but with these repeating syringes it's almost dummy proof to give the correct 5ml dose. Since we had some vaccine left over I'm concerned we were off somehow in administering these injections. Or maybe there was a little more vaccine than stated on the bottle.

Do you think if the bottle states 50ml it is sure enough 50ml or a maybe little more?

Thank you.

I have found that when drawing up with regular syringes the doses come out about right, maybe a cc or 2 left over.

There's usually an extra dose in most bottles, in my experience. It must cost the drug companies more to measure accurately than to save on extra product.

When we work our cattle I pre-fill all the vaccinations in disposable syringes/needles (sorted, bagged & ready to go in individual coolers) and I rarely end up with the exact dose per bottle.

Buck Randall said:
There's usually an extra dose in most bottles, in my experience. It must cost the drug companies more to measure accurately than to save on extra product.
Thanks Buck. I think I'll quit worrying about it. It was bothering me thinking we wasn't doing it right.

i don't think the dosage is very critical on a vaccine.. you're just triggering the immune system. on an antibiotic it's more important to get the full dose.

I found on my Alflex 2cc repeater sometimes it seems to draw air into it and evidently isn't 100% full.. If you find this to happen a lot, make sure you go right to the end of the stroke and draw back slower.

Nesikep said:
i don't think the dosage is very critical on a vaccine.. you're just triggering the immune system.

I assume this must be true. We were preg testing / vaccinating one time and it was looking like we might run short of vaccine. The vet said to just cut the dose back one cc for the remainder of the cattle and all would be fine. I never saw any evidence to prove he was wrong. Now I usually try to order extra doses to cover mishaps and what have yous... but if it's looking like I'm going to be short I just cut back.

Anytime something is sold per volume, or weight but is pre packaged, you will get extra, because they get in big trouble if they short you on product.
Even seed corn that is sold in 80k seeds/unit will sometimes have 81k seeds/unit.

I've found that you most often will get close to 11-12 doses out of a 10 dose vial.
Still plan on only getting 10 doses, when you're doing your figuring.

Silver said:
Nesikep said:
i don't think the dosage is very critical on a vaccine.. you're just triggering the immune system.

I assume this must be true. We were preg testing / vaccinating one time and it was looking like we might run short of vaccine. The vet said to just cut the dose back one cc for the remainder of the cattle and all would be fine. I never saw any evidence to prove he was wrong. Now I usually try to order extra doses to cover mishaps and what have yous... but if it's looking like I'm going to be short I just cut back.
I short change my cows on scourgard all the time.. usually 1.5cc instead of 2, and I don't give boosters.. I have about 22 cows, so i order 2x 10 dose bottles, whatever I have leftover i give to my replacement heifers.. haven't had any problems so I'll continue doing it.

I think for 5 animals it is a lot easier to just use disposable syringes. You can get away with using the one syringe just change the needle. leave a needle in the bottle to draw up rather than pushing through the stopper each time forcing contamination back in the bottle.

Ken

wbvs58 said:
I think for 5 animals it is a lot easier to just use disposable syringes. You can get away with using the one syringe just change the needle. leave a needle in the bottle to draw up rather than pushing through the stopper each time forcing contamination back in the bottle.

Ken
Good point

Latest posts