Kudos to whoever

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
A few years ago someone posted a tip about using acetone and brake fluid to free stove up bolts and things. I've used this concoction (I call Panther Pizz) successfully for several years now but the wonder of this cocktail didn't really come to light till the other day and I'd like to again thank whoever posted it and would like to share a story to let you know there are others who are truly grateful for your tip.

A few days ago I dropped by the tractor dealership and walked around back to talk to a few of the mechanics. When I walked up to them there were four or five mechanics trying to get the duals off a T7000. Turns out they had been working on it since lunch the previous day and had applied heat and even rung one of the release bolts completely off. They were frustrated to say the least and were discussing whether or not to just cut the thing off with a torch since nothing else had worked. I told them I thought I could get it off with some Panther Pizz. Five of the mechanics - old experienced mechanics - looked at me like I was crazy and then I wished I had kept my mouth shut and minded my own business because failing at this would mean years of ribbing from these guys because after all I'm about as useful in a shop as a pogo stick is in quicksand. One of the gruffest of mechanics said, "have at it then" and I again wished I'd kept my mouth shut.

Since there was no turning back I asked for some brake fluid and acetone and they gathered that up for me and I mixed the Panther Pizz and poured it over the frozen camming hub and told them to wait five minutes. I could hear quiet whispers in the background of the naysayers and like a lifted hood in a parking lot four more mechanics gathered around to see what was going on and more whispering. Needless to say I was well out on a limb here. One of the senior mechanics and the gruffest of the lot said time is up and he stepped forward and put pressure one of the few unbroken releases nut and you could see a mist coming up from the cam. People gathered closer watching this strange magical mist rise. He hit some more pressure on it and the cam popped right off as pretty as you please. 34 man hours spent on this and about 2 ounces of this Panther Pizz had it off in less than 7 minutes. I was so relieved. The old mechanic even came over and hugged me saying he couldn't believe it and I swear I think he even had tears in his eyes.

So again, thanks to whoever posted this tip. It just saved someone a pile of money and more importantly it impressed the shyt out of some very experienced sage mechanics but more importantly it saved me from the years of he77 I would have caught from these guys had it not worked. So again. THANKS!!!!

Its and OLD OLD OLD mixture that was used before commercial lubricants. My greatgrand and my grand daddy used that mixture and trans fluid and acetone we call it possum pizz. I had an uncle that was a mechanic that swore he put I on a rusted bolt when he left the shop one night a the next morning the nut was on the floor.

M-5, did you post it or know who did? I can't remember. It sure as he77 impressed these guys for sure. I keep a jar in the shop and use it fairly regular. Hasn't failed me yet. I did take a big chance in this situation but it worked like a charm. Stuff is amazing.

I heard iodine works wonders as well. An old machinist at work told me about using it. Haven't needed to try it since he told me.

Highgrit give this stuff a try and see if its not better than anything on the market. I imagine had we just left it on the tractor overnight the next morning the tires would have been off and stacked neatly in the corner. ;-)

I've never heard of using brake fluid, the acetone/auto tranny fluid I have heard of though.. I just want to make a can to spray it with

That seems to be the problem. Anything with plastic or rubber will not hold it. I use a mason jar but ideally one of those old dimple oil cans would be best.

I assume it won't damage steel. anyone have an idea how it would react with copper. I am always looking for a better, quicker , more efficient barrel cleaner.

Do you mix the brake fluid\acetone at a 50\50 mix? I am trying to get the inner wheel separated from the rim on my old 8N.

Pb, liquid wrench, heating the hell out it, and my tears aren't working

lovehammer":4whb7k6q said:
Do you mix the brake fluid\acetone at a 50\50 mix? I am trying to get the inner wheel separated from the rim on my old 8N.

Pb, liquid wrench, heating the be nice out it, and my tears aren't working

Yes and you need to let it set. One thing is for sure. There aren't many containers that will contain that mixture. I put it in an oil squirt can and it flies out everywhere when you shake it

M-5":380935km said:
50/50 get you a plastic drank bottle and 2 caps. one cap put a tiny hole on center after you squirt it but other cap on to keep ace from evaporating

Good idea. It went thru that new oil can like poop thru a goose. It does help get it in the right place though

M-5":4bbychd1 said:
50/50 get you a plastic drank bottle and 2 caps. one cap put a tiny hole on center after you squirt it but other cap on to keep ace from evaporating

Won't the acetone dissolve the plastic?

Latest posts