Knight Reel Auggie vs Luck-Now TMR mixers

Help Support CattleToday:

mncowboy

Reaction score
Just looking for any input on either brands. The Luck Now looks to be heavier built but the Knight's seem to be more prevalent and have the giant reel that sweeps the bottom of the pan.
Thanks

Never used either brand but use to see a lot of the older Knight horizontal mixers around the dairy country. They're pretty simple and well built (older ones at least) and were good for mixing only. Silage would mix well in them along with the various commodities comprising the TMR.

The "Luck" brand is a true vertical mixer/grinder meaning it should be able to easily grind up a round bale of hay and mix it with the other components of the ration. As far is how reliable it is and how well built it is I have no idea. Both have their places in the industry but it takes a lot of cattle feeding to justify the initial price for the vertical TMR mixers. If you don't plan to be grinding hay into your ration I'd probably lean toward the Knight for simple mixing.

I worked for a farmer/feeder for many years and have fed a lot of cattle with a Kuhn Knight 3130. They are a good handy mixer. The only thing that I didn't like was how they mix when you are feeding a higher hay/ roughage ration. Corn stalks can be a problem for them depending on how many you are trying to feed. We ended up buying a bale grinder, and it helps, but you're handling ingredients twice. Now that I'm on my own I ended up buying an older Luck-now 220 horizontal 4 auger. It's built really, really heavy and has been problem free. I like the 4 auger for the higher roughage/ back rounding diets. The clean-out isn't as good as the Knight though. Its not really a problem for me, but it might be if you were trying to mix antibiotics to new cattle and then mix feed for your close up finish cattle. You'd want a couple clean-out loads. Hope this helps.

Latest posts