kingsville, tx

Help Support CattleToday:

DCortez

Reaction score
What breed does the best, and is the easiest to care for, in the Kingsville, Texas area?

Thanks!

DCortez":2pnm7855 said:
What breed does the best, and is the easiest to care for, in the Kingsville, Texas area?

Thanks!
Santa Gertrudis were developed there on the King Ranch weren't they....they should still work great.

Santa Gertrudis and Beefmasters were both developed in that area. The cows from those breeds can be bred a number of different ways to produce an acceptable market calf. Use an English type bull (Angus, Hereford, etc) and you get an acceptable steer calf and a heifer calf that can be kept for a replacement or sent to feedyard. Use a continental bull (Charolais, Simmental, Gelbvieh, Limousin, etc) on a Gert or Beefmaster cow and you get a tremendous feeder calf. You breed that cow back to another American breed bull (Santa Gertrudis, Beefmaster, Brangus, etc) and you get a super replacement heifer and a steer that will sell ok, just not at the top of the market.

Not really looking to sell, or get into the cattle business, more for a tax exemption and homesteading. So anything that can take my learning curve, and not rely on an experience cattleman, would be best for both me and the cow :cboy:

Basically, my setup would be an old cotton field that is converted to pastureland. The property is 1300 x 1700 (rectangle).

I went through a few threads on Gerts. Seems they can be prickly.

jedstivers":1wqgsjj1 said:
That's 35 acres. Just go with cheap Long Horn or pretty much any kind of Brahman cross that's gentle. Don't know how many head 35 acres in W. Texas will handle but I doubt many.

50 acres

From what you are saying and your location you need low maintenance cattle. Jed hit it on the head.
Brimmer, brimmer crossbred. Don't have to be fancy cattle.
Maybe longhorn--can't say much on this as I have no experience with longhorns.

cross_7":2ihwb0rt said:
jedstivers":2ihwb0rt said:
That's 35 acres. Just go with cheap Long Horn or pretty much any kind of Brahman cross that's gentle. Don't know how many head 35 acres in W. Texas will handle but I doubt many.

50 acres
Yep, I musta hit the wrong button. I thought it should be more than 35 but I got distracted.

Stepbystep":3i7c5egc said:
Arkansas":3i7c5egc said:
Actually its 50.7346 acre OR 50 acre and 3555.5 yd² :) lol

Sorry if I missed it but what was the answer to how many cattle on this land?
Prolly no more than 5. Depends on how improved the ground is.

What is the formula for computing that acreage?

Massey135":20q806hu said:
Stepbystep":20q806hu said:
Arkansas":20q806hu said:
Actually its 50.7346 acre OR 50 acre and 3555.5 yd² :) lol

Sorry if I missed it but what was the answer to how many cattle on this land?
Prolly no more than 5. Depends on how improved the ground is.

What is the formula for computing that acreage?
wow 5 cows on 50 acres.

I guess I have a lot to learn. thanks

Currently, we lease the farm, however, the farmer is considering retirement in a couple of years. We wouldn't mind homesteading and cutting back on our "city work".

BTW, I thought farmers never retired, they just planted themselves in the end :tiphat:

To calculate the acreage, what I did was multiply 1300 by 1700, then divide by 43,560, the number of square feet in an acre.

I thought 50 acres would support more than 5 cows.

Thanks for the link, Chippie.

How many acres the land will support depends on if its maintained planted pasture or natutal scrub. Irrigated or not. Fertilized or not. And how much extra input you want to put into each head. You might carry 100 hf or maybe 10. Alot of variables there

Latest posts