Killed a fawn

Help Support CattleToday:

We just got finished with our Spring hay cutting. Don't think I hit or even saw any this year myself while I mowed. Did see a coyote come to the field looking for food and a ground hog but that was it while I mowed. Dad on the other hand ran over 2 fawns killing both. It was his first pass around the field and wood line, got them with his inside tire. Just a bit one direction or the other he would have missed them. I've hit a hen turkey on a nest before as well. Usually they will come up but she didn't, cut her right in half and she was still alive flopping. Had to finish her with my 357 revolver. The eggs weren't hurt, can't remember the exact number of eggs but it was double digits. Tried really hard to find someone to incubate them but nobody wanted too. Ended up loosing them all. You just can't see them in that tall grass.

Jogeephus":g99ssdr3 said:
I mowed one up once. Felt bad for the rest of the day. I love mowing rattlesnakes though. Especially when you know they tried to strike the blade.

That and ground bees. Shut the doors on the cab. Push in the clutch. Let the blades swing and swing right over the mound.

I remember getting into those bees back before I had a cab. I hate them.

10 years or so ago I shot a buck. He had half an ear sliced off. I wondered if it had been from a brush hog going over him.

I never bush hog without a rifle, I have killed several coyotes while bush hogging. They are very smart about getting running rats, I've had em come right up to the tractor trying to catch them.

A double barrel shot gun is a nice choice for a tractor gun. Sabots in on barrel and shot in the other. Coyotes at a little distance, and snakes up close.

backhoeboogie":2bixcmb4 said:
Jogeephus":2bixcmb4 said:
I mowed one up once. Felt bad for the rest of the day. I love mowing rattlesnakes though. Especially when you know they tried to strike the blade.

That and ground bees. Shut the doors on the cab. Push in the clutch. Let the blades swing and swing right over the mound.

I remember getting into those bees back before I had a cab. I hate them.

10 years or so ago I shot a buck. He had half an ear sliced off. I wondered if it had been from a brush hog going over him.
I've been having an old doe coming to my feeder for three years now that has about half of one of her ears cut off as straight as a arrow. Always wondering how it happened. This may have been how it happened.

I guess I'm one of those idiots that pick up a fawn.. last field I was swathing I stopped about 2 feet before I hit it, he moved off about 10 feet closer to the middle of the field, picked him up and put him in a field I wasn't going to cut for hay.. If I hadn't, he might not have been so lucky about being seen.

Speaking of attention getters.. around here it's the grouse.. they wait until you're pretty much right on top of them before they take off, and it's like a machine gun going off... wouldn't want to be on a horse when that happens

Flushed a fawn out while spraying pasture today. It was bedded down in a briar patch. Guessing it didn't like the sprayer boom coming over the top but it made a fast get away.

Nesikep":12472f7d said:
Grouse are MUCH louder than quail.

Well I've never flushed a covey of grouse up at 2am. But Quail roost on the ground 15 to 20 birds in a tight circle. And they will literally let you step on them in the dark before they take flight.

Grouse are pretty solitary, but they're considerably larger than quail, and yes, you'll be right on top of them when they take off... They also like crossing the road, at a pace that would let a turtle win

I only kicked up one fawn this year. Because of the weather, I mowed hay about 2 weeks later than normal. The fawn I kicked up, jumped up about 50' in front of the tractor and ran into the woods. I did run a fawn through the discbine with flail conditioners on it last year. Not much left to pick up. Never saw a turkey nest in a field around here.

We probably don't have the overall number of deer most people have. I ran over one with a disc in a wheat/vetch field many years ago, little guy must of just been born as he wasn't any bigger than a jack rabbit.

One of the neatest things I've seen while on equipment was a coyote teaching a pup to hunt. Was cutting wheat and saw them start out toward the middle of the field. Kicked out a rabbit and the pup was trailing back and forth for a half minute and then it's dam took an angle and ended the game lickity split. The pup was the one carrying it off, holding high like it was pretty proud.

I usually get a half dozen or so each year with the discbine, one year I got 15. Caught these little twins this year, and another not far from them:

Tick factories.

If you had as many ticks as I have, you wouldn't be losing any sleep over it. They ain't all pretty around here unless they are just born, both ears and around the eyes are completely covered with them. Not uncommon to pick 2 dozen ticks off after just stepping off the four wheeler to put an insulator on. Deer are the main source of ticks, and their population is WAY out of control.

I wouldn't go out of my way to hit one, but after the devastation to our small corn and soybean fields I just gave up leasing them out and went to pasture.

Last year had to watch a fawn that kept just moving around in the ever smaller field till it finally ran out with only a bare amount left to mow. Son ran over a turkey on a nest the last weekend of June. On the tenth of June this year had a turkey fly up out where I was mowing. Left a spot where it came from hope it went back.

Latest posts