Killed a fawn

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
Have had a doe and a newborn fawn hanging around the house, Was mowing weeds and cut the little fawn up, sure hate it when that happens. :frowns:

Never done it myself but have friends who say they've run over them while running a shredder over a field. Guess the little guys just go to sleep and never sense the danger.

I used to get one or 2 every year, and several turkey nest to. I've started dragging a 100' rope between 2 tractors. You'll still have the occasional fawn keep his seat as it goes over, but I've never seen a turkey stay on its nest.

They're awake. We come across em all the time. The does bed em down and they stay where they are left. You can walk right up to em there head will be on the ground ears pinned down if you look closely you can see em trembling. But they stay put. Until they get a little age. Lots of fawns get picked up every year by idiots that think they've been abandoned. Just leave em be
No fault of yours cowboy. Shyt happens

I get rabbits chopped up into chop suey by the bush hog never a fawn either way not your fault but I would hate it just like you

I mowed one Wednesday night while cutting hay. Buddy mowed the wing off a turkey earlier in the week. He said another guy took the eggs and 6 of the 9 have since hatched.

It makes you sick when it happens, but it happens no matter what you do sometimes. Some years are worse than others. Got a turkey last year that never came off the nest, and a couple fawns this year. Oddest critter I've mowed up was a snapping turtle. Guess it was on the way to the pond.

I have cool video of the one I almost mowed over this week. 6" to the right and I would have killed it. Scared me to death when something jumped out of the grass at my right front tire.

I mowed one up once. Felt bad for the rest of the day. I love mowing rattlesnakes though. Especially when you know they tried to strike the blade.

Almost mowed up a calf once in a millet field. He never moved. But luckily I seen him 1 foot to the left of the front tire when it went by.

One of the worst frights of my life was when I went over a nesting turkey while on an open station tractor. She held her ground until the front tires cleared her then she went ballistic missing my face by just a few inches. I was in one of those bored tractor dazes when she went aloft and she liked to have scared the beejesus out of me.

Latest posts