Kickboxing, MMA, Muay Thai, anyone into this

Help Support CattleToday:

NECowboy

Reaction score
Did Muay Thai a few years back when I lived in SC, it was a blast, great workout, fun kicking people's azz, getting azz kicked more than a few times and learning from it, great stress release, adrenaline rush. We have a kickbox gym open up recently about an hour from me may go check it out. Not sure I'll have much time other than night or two a week with my work schedule and cattle but could be a lot of fun again. Anyone else do this?

My dad actually stuck me in boxing back when I was a kid, 12 or so. I kept with it and did some local club boxing in college etc. I still think sparring a little is a great way to get the heart rate up. Enjoyed it very much.
Muay Thai and some of those disciplines are very impressive and those guys are true athletes. It'd be a really bad day to have to fight some of those guys.
Funny story, I'm a lover not a fighter and even though I messed around in a boxing gym on some level for a lot of years, I don't like street fights/bar fights etc. at all, and have only been in exactly 2.5 of them in my whole life.
The .5 actually was with an MMA type guy when I was 27 or 28, at least that's what him and his 2 idiot friends told me about themselves repeatedly as they followed my buddy and I out of a bar in Bozeman, MT., complete with TapOut shirts etc. It was finally obvious he wasn't going to let me walk away. When I squared up, he bum rushed me. As he came, instead of rolling on the ground with him or some such nonsense, I reached out and jerked out his stupid looking lip ring, taking a noticeable piece of lip out with it.
I learned 2 things:
1.Lips bleed ALOT when you jerk one's lip ring out.
2.Lip rings apparently are hard wired directly into the surrender button.

I am a huge fan of MMA. The sport of wrestling is one of my all time favorite sports (notice I said wrestling, and not wrastling for all you WWE fans). I wrestled in both high school and college... The MMA popularity came along a little to late
in life for me. If it was a popular in the 80's as it is today, I am sure that I would have participated.

When I worked correction, before retirement from it, I was a trainer, instructor of several safe physical management specialties. I thought about trying to get my brown belt in Aikido. I have learned as I get older that as an old codger the best way to deal with young jacks is this. Don't mess with and old pussy as you call em. The word I put in there wasn't "be nice" either.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aikido

1943428_01_kimber_tle_rl_with_robar_guns__640.jpg

js1234":3ryramgc said:
My dad actually stuck me in boxing back when I was a kid, 12 or so. I kept with it and did some local club boxing in college etc. I still think sparring a little is a great way to get the heart rate up. Enjoyed it very much.
Muay Thai and some of those disciplines are very impressive and those guys are true athletes. It'd be a really bad day to have to fight some of those guys.
Funny story, I'm a lover not a fighter and even though I messed around in a boxing gym on some level for a lot of years, I don't like street fights/bar fights etc. at all, and have only been in exactly 2.5 of them in my whole life.
The .5 actually was with an MMA type guy when I was 27 or 28, at least that's what him and his 2 idiot friends told me about themselves repeatedly as they followed my buddy and I out of a bar in Bozeman, MT., complete with TapOut shirts etc. It was finally obvious he wasn't going to let me walk away. When I squared up, he bum rushed me. As he came, instead of rolling on the ground with him or some such nonsense, I reached out and jerked out his stupid looking lip ring, taking a noticeable piece of lip out with it.
I learned 2 things:

Nice js where you from Cali? To me I always forget I'm exercising and you're continually challenging yourself cause you're immersed in the moment to not get hit! I can't exercise if I feel like I'm exercising such as treadmill, running at the high school track, etc. Lip rings look stupid anyways that would have been hilarious to watch, half tempted to do that now to someone to teach them that lip rings are for low lifes.

jltrent":391auime said:
When I worked correction, before retirement from it, I was a trainer, instructor of several safe physical management specialties. I thought about trying to get my brown belt in Aikido. I have learned as I get older that as an old codger the best way to deal with young jacks is this. Don't mess with and old be nice as you call em.

1943428_01_kimber_tle_rl_with_robar_guns__640.jpg

See that's why I don't generally pick fights with people point blank because you don't know who is packing. Corrections you would probably get some pretty good combat training, good for you jl.

TN Cattle Man":1a98wgwk said:
I am a huge fan of MMA. The sport of wrestling is one of my all time favorite sports (notice I said wrestling, and not wrastling for all you WWE fans). I wrestled in both high school and college... The MMA popularity came along a little to late
in life for me. If it was a popular in the 80's as it is today, I am sure that I would have participated.

Do they ever have live fights in Nashville? WWE is fake as heck, MMA is real, love it too. Have you ever done steer wrestling, it looks like loads of fun!

Many years ago I took taekwondo and really enjoyed it.
We had a sparring class once a week but it was light contact and no contact with the head so me and my buddies bought gear to spar with and had our own sparring class and beat the crap out of each other.

My oldest got into MMA a few years ago and really enjoyed the training but didn't enjoy getting the crap beat out him in the few amateur fights he had.
He had a great ground game and did very if he could keep the fight on the ground, but wasn't much of a striker and apparently his big head made for a nice target

Cross-7":6cnucgaa said:
Many years ago I took taekwondo and really enjoyed it.
We had a sparring class once a week but it was light contact and no contact with the head so me and my buddies bought gear to spar with and had our own sparring class and beat the crap out of each other.

My oldest got into MMA a few years ago and really enjoyed the training but didn't enjoy getting the crap beat out him in the few amateur fights he had.
He had a great ground game and did very if he could keep the fight on the ground, but wasn't much of a striker and apparently his big head made for a nice target

So true cross. Even amateur MMA is no joke. There are some folks who can flat bring it. Fighting has evolved tremendously since it has become mainstream. One or even two dimensional guys have a short shelf life. You must be able to strike, submit, and solid ground game to have a chance, even then, 8-10 years is a solid run during your prime. It's a fantastic sport to watch. The professional level is insane how skilled and trained those folks are.

TN Cattle Man":3pect78x said:

Kinda the same boat TCM. Just wasn't mainstream, accessible enough when I was young enough. My son's and I completely agree with you about wrestling. Really impacts a young man's confidence and work ethic in a positive way.

js1234":1dmvz4fv said:
I learned 2 things:

Here's one js...8 lbs of pressure to break a clavicle. I have seen guys passout or puke from the pain. Awful hard to raise a fist with a busted clavicle. Not as nasty as a chunk of lip missing though - scarred for life! Never understood the joy some folks get from searching out trouble...

bball":924ptw5a said:
TN Cattle Man":924ptw5a said:

Kinda the same boat TCM. Just wasn't mainstream, accessible enough when I was young enough. My son's and I completely agree with you about wrestling. Really impacts a young man's confidence and work ethic in a positive way.
That's a fact bball!! My dad got me into wrestling when I was only 7 years old (I live in an area where wrestling is taken pretty seriously and they start them young)! To me, wrestling embodies the ultimate in Mano a Mano competition in its most primitive form and can help you out in almost all aspects of life (discipline, self control, etc..). Both of my boys wrestled in High School and I'm looking forward to the day when I can watch my grandsons wrestle!

TN Cattle Man":2apv812x said:
bball":2apv812x said:
TN Cattle Man":2apv812x said:

That's a fact bball!! My dad got me into wrestling when I was only 7 years old (I live in an area where wrestling is taken pretty seriously and they start them young)! To me, wrestling embodies the ultimate in Mano a Mano competition in its most primitive form and can help you out in almost all aspects of life (discipline, self control, etc..). Both of my boys wrestled in High School and I'm looking forward to the day when I can watch my grandsons wrestle!

That's what I love about Muay Thai tn the Mano e Mano competition in most primitive form but gym is a two hour round trip and I have a very full schedule as is but when I was in school not very many years back I did Muay Thai and best shape and fun in my life!

Life can be tough, it is competitive, we need to teach them that young the discipline and work ethic to excel in this challenging world. They don't need coddling and Pokemon go. Sounds like your dad raised you right and ur continuing that on with the generations!

Latest posts