kentucky weather

Help Support CattleToday:

I bet I saw 7-8 people cutting hay this afternoon here in central ky. We got ours up a couple weeks ago in that dry period.

I'm going to start in the morning. Wish I had today. My gut tells me they are going to change the forecast.

Bigfoot":mx1g4ua3 said:
I'm going to start in the morning. Wish I had today. My gut tells me they are going to change the forecast.

+1. KICKING MYSELF for not knocking some down today..

I have 16 acres of fescue, orchard grass, blue grass and red clover hay. It is mature. I mowed for 2 hours Sunday evening. Started again yesterday morning and mowed until noon. It rained .34 inches on it during the day. I am going to tedder it today about noon. The conditions are negative – cold and damp. It is impossible to make a good decision. Hay in this area is excellent but starting to move beyond the prime cutting maturity. It is starting to get funky at the bottom and the winds and weight of rain is starting to put some down. My hay has more red clover than I thought. The mowed rows are heavy and even in good hay weather it would be difficult to cure. This might sound radical but the thought of bush-hogging it has crossed my mind. I just don't know how this is going to end.

A friend is cutting today, I have to bale it. I got some bottom ground to cut on my place but it will take it a while to dry out enough to get in there.

Yesterday monring they called for sunny and wartm with no rain till saturday. Stayed heavily cloudy all day yesterday but I cut hay in the afternoon. Supposed to be sunny and warm today, but so far it's heavy clouds. Oh yeah, and now they've shifted the rain till thursday.

Hay: What is it? It is plants that suck the water and nutrients from our land. I see people let others mow their fields and haul off the hay in exchange for having it mowed. Poor policy! Hauling out that hay is hauling off the most highly valued property a farm is noted for – the essential elements. It is not only N-P-K, it is that and the microelements that are essential to sustain biological units.

Now the concept I am building to: To produce good hay requires input. Fertilizer, lime and the other microelements that are rarely replaced by supplementation. They are the result of hundreds of millions of years of weathering of the parent bedrock laid down in primordial oceans that have been gone for millions of years. Therefore, that hay that we work so hard to harvest is a product of geologic processes from before life. And that friends is how I think of hay. It is the most "sacred" component of raising cattle. I sometimes think about abandoning my hayfields and totally buying hay. Better to bring in someone else's land than to haul off mine.

:D

muhlenberg man":2s410nim said:
Anybody going to put hay down this week? I am tempted with 4 days of no rain forecasted.

I had planned to mow this week, but they certainly aren't forecasting 4 days of no rain here in south central Kentucky; rain is in the forecast every day this week. It's a low percentage chance, like 20 or 30 percent each day, but so far, we seem to get it, so I'm holding off.

I tedded my hay yesterday. After three days, there is almost no curing. It rained .34 inches on it Monday and yesterday was cold and damp. I tedded about 1:00 pm. The hay is in good condition but with the volume, it is going to require some sun. Lots of hay being cut despite the poor curing conditions and forecasted rain predictions. As was noted above, the hay is going south. It is past mature and the cool dampness is accelerating the natural cellular deterioration process.

Interesting conundrum, is that precipitation for May was below average. Nevertheless, ground has not dried and pastures are excellent. Pasture needs to be clipped.

I cut about 20A on Sunday. It got wet on Monday. Tedded it early this AM. Very little curing and the sun just won't break through..hoping to bale on Fri but I just don't know if out will work. Considered wrapping it and making haylidge but I really don't want to go through the trouble..

The stuff I had cut and tedded surprised me by drying fairly well. Then the rains came this afternoon.

dun":24ak7wmq said:
The stuff I had cut and tedded surprised me by drying fairly well. Then the rains came this afternoon.

Hopefully, after you had baled it?

bball":58cj4sve said:
dun":58cj4sve said:

Nope, still laying on the ground drying. Still was a at least a day away from finsihing curing.

dun":160kvett said:
bball":160kvett said:
dun":160kvett said:

Nope, still laying on the ground drying. Still was a at least a day away from finsihing curing.

I got half mine baled yesterday, anything with alfalfa was just needing another day. Hoping it will go today before the rain sets in..55% chance today. Fingers crossed.

inyati13":3f4mn40i said:
Now the concept I am building to: To produce the result... hundreds of millions of years of weathering of the parent bedrock

I will give you credit for "long range" thinking. But that's not how top soil is made.
Weathering erodes top soil. "Green Manure" plowing the crop under, to speed plant material decay, builds top soil.

Latest posts