Wet weather hay strategy

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence

Keyboard cowboy
Reaction score
I really need to get this field up. It's already sold and the customer needs it. I can get in the field now. If I wait until after the rain I'll lose days waiting on the ground to dry. I'm considering cutting now. Knowing it'll get rained on.
But it'll get rained on while it's still green
Once the rain stops I've got five days. It's gonna be kinda cool, but should be a dry north wind prevailing. Might it work or am I out of my mind. I've included my forecast.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BUNiFXieSnKAhAqC8

Mine looks very similar to that but has a lot of Ryegrass. Maybe yours does too? Last year it didn't get put up until May 5 and got about 1/4" rain on it after it was cut. I thought it would be bad but it tested out at 8% an the cows did well on it. One thing about it getting ripe like that, I have oats all over the ranch from rolling it out.

I think I would wait but its a tough call. Suppose to be in the 40's next week but dry after Saturday

Had some of the stiffest straight line winds I've seen. Haven't been out to check for damage. Pretty good rain too. Hope all is well.

Neighbor texted and said he had a bunch of limbs down. Decided to check damages here. Nothing landed on fences this time but got a bunch of tore up trees again. Just finished burning up last years torn up trees.

It also rearranged the patio furniture. Notice the glass top of the table? It's flipped. Glad that sucker didn't fly through a window.

Latest posts