kentucky weather

Help Support CattleToday:

ddd75":pxxgtpfz said:
looks like i can cut today.
When are you planning to bale? Calling for rain here again Monday. The ground is so saturated you can't get in the field without rutting it here. I don't remember but what part of KY are you in?

Baled my big hay field today. Made 115 bales (4x5.5). That's about 20 more than normal for this field. The sun was out today and the hay actually got a little too dry by the time I got it all up. Hopefully I can bale another field (about 15A) that I cut yesterday on Sunday.
Hope everyone else is having luck getting theirs up.

Everything I had down is in a roll. Barely was dry enough today to roll. I'd have to look back at a previous post to be sure, but I think I cut monday.

today - friday clear

going to cut another 25 acres.

got 135 bales baled this past weekend. race horse quality.. those cows better like me

ddd75":m8u2osma said:
today - friday clear

going to cut another 25 acres.

got 135 bales baled this past weekend. race horse quality.. those cows better like me

We got another 9/10 yesterday, so no hay being done here.

TT, you'll be spending a lot of money to supplement the hay. I've never bought hay that was as good as we grow, unless I spent $70.00 a roll. This is going by samples, not on looks or smell or how the cows eat it. We bought all our hay for 8 years, and the best advice is good luck.

Dry yesterday and supposed to be through friday. Of course that's what they said when I cut the back hay fild and it started raingin the next day. Check both the other fields I was planning on haying. Still squishy underfoot when you walk across it so no hay cutting this week for me.

Seems nearly all the fescue has turned brown, that means they will wait another week or two to bail here....

I bought from a fellow a short distance away this weekend who bailed Thursday or Friday. Got it in the barn before the next rain, would have bought more if I had room although it was mostly fescue. I feel lucky to have gotten what I did considering the frequency of rain we have had.

I was lucky with mine. The last 10 acres was a little ripe but the rest looked good. Had .25" of rain on 45 rolls right after I cut it. The rest came in dry. Totaled 340 4x4 rolls on approx. 50 acres.

Son of Butch":25olbb8l said:
inyati13":25olbb8l said:
Now the concept I am building to: To produce the result... hundreds of millions of years of weathering of the parent bedrock

I will give you credit for "long range" thinking. But that's not how top soil is made.
Weathering erodes top soil. "Green Manure" plowing the crop under, to speed plant material decay, builds top soil.

Soil formation is a long range process. You are "taking the short view". The process begins with the weathering of the bedrock. The finer materials accumulate and provide the initial substrate for plant growth. The accumulation of debris including plant remains contribute. The elements have their origins in the minerals and elements contained in the bedrock such as MN, FE, CA, etc. Some of these elements are required by biological units in small quantities. I acknowledge that the fine tuning of the formation of topsoil is the organic cycle you reference but the process originates millions of years prior to that.

Find a good reference on the geological detritus cycles and you will find a more detailed discussion of the process.

BTW: Let us not forget the role the sun plays. It is the sun that energizes the process by which plants produce sugars that fuels that run the end organic cycle.

inyati13":1pcr71rm said:
You are "taking the short view".

I guess I take the really short view, 6,000 years tops.....

anyway, bought my last hay last weekend from my normal supplier, most stemmy stuff I have seen, cows will not be happy with that batch. I see hay moving a lot here lately, I think everyone is a little late for my area, my pasture looks pretty much dormant now. Hotter than hades and 100% humidity.

Sides of my driveway look awesome though, super thick and lush dark green fescue and orchard. Has never went to seed, could my whole pasture look like this if I cut it all the time? I bush hog the sides of the driveway with the bush hog on the high setting, wife likes it to look neat and so do I. Drives me nuts that this grass which needs to be mowed once every week or two looks so much better than anywhere else. This is the first year I have let my pasture go to seed and may be my last. Before I bought the place it was not mowed for years so it went to seed a lot. Before that, it was over grazed by horses so it is weedy too.

Cut some hay Saturday after missing a big rain they predicted for Friday/Saturday. Forecast for some good weather until Thursday with a 40% chance of rain. Now there is a 40% chance for Tuesday and Wednesday. I guess me cutting hay is a good as someone doing a rain dance.

i'm thinking about cutting a little today. 20% today, then 40% the rest of the week. 90 degree temp means i can bale it tomorrow.

hmmmm

Kell-inKY":1by2fe3l said:
inyati13":1by2fe3l said:
You are "taking the short view".
could my whole pasture look like this if I cut it all the time?

The reason it looks good is because it is never taken from, only added to. You continually fertilize, by putting grass clippings on it, where as a field is always taken from, to produce beef, or hay or crops..what ever. Needa replace what you use, or add to it to improve.

I've started laying down 15 acres today. I got 7 tenths of that rain Tom missed. I bout missed it all together. I look for this to get wet, but I'm not worried about it. My only hope for a second cutting is to finish the first :D

They've changed the forecast twice since I got up this morning, added more rain chance both times. I guess I might as well finish what I've started. Might even go for 25 acres instead of 15.

Cut at daylight on Monday, ready to roll today at 2:00. Ran the Tedder over it mid morning. 57 5' x 5' rolls off of 15 acres that was give to me cut. It actually made some decent looking hay. Lots of white clover, and almost no weeds. I'll get it tested, I'm sure it's not the best, but it's decent.

Bigfoot you did good if someone gave you that for the cutting.

Baled my bottoms today, 13 acres made about 90 4x5's. It was thicker than I think I ever saw it. I cut some on a place me and the neighbor leased yesterday morning, we rolled late today. About 15 acres more to go then hay will be done unless I bale a little for someone else.

IMG_1141_zpse3l4gzjp.jpg