Just an update... infantile reproductive tracts in heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Reaction score
It occurred to me I'd never given y'all an update after these posts:

...where I'd asked about my two 10 month old Holstein heifers that hadn't passed a vet check where their contemporaries all did; these two had all the structures they needed, but were underdeveloped and my vet said their uteruses were about 1/4 to 1/5th the size of their 750lb herd mates.

So I ended up keeping them. I started breeding the heifer herd about 2 months later, and one heifer settled first service, the other settled second service, both to AI breedings. Both heifers were confirmed pregnant, and I sold one in the first trimester, the other at about 5 months bred.

Just thought y'all might be interested in how that all turned out. All I did was give them time and a full dose of Multimin. After speaking with the owner of the dairy I'd bought them from the year before, I deduced that these two were sired by the same bull, and the other heifers were from his other herd bull. I suspect the two were just later maturing than their herdmates.

Really glad! especially considering the price difference between Holstein heifers and steers. :shock:

Latest posts