John Wilkes Booth

Help Support CattleToday:

I may be biased because of who I've grown up around but we always considered Lincoln to terrible and Boothe to be misguided. As I get older I realize that it's almost impossible to understand everything that went on and the mindset of people so who knows what any of us would have done if we had lived back then.

No Rest Farm":3trmjux4 said:
I may be biased because of who I've grown up around but we always considered Lincoln to terrible and Boothe to be misguided. As I get older I realize that it's almost impossible to understand everything that went on and the mindset of people so who knows what any of us would have done if we had lived back then.

I can not understand the mindset of over half of the us population today....

much less a hundred and fifty years ago...

making enemies left and right on facebook with women libers and abortion advocates today...and a few Trump Bashing Chicken littles....getting called all kinds of names for having opinions contrary to the liberal mindset....sort of fun to baffle them with facts so that they have to call you names....

pdfangus":31ur08fw said:
No Rest Farm":31ur08fw said:

I can not understand the mindset of over half of the us population today....

much less a hundred and fifty years ago...
:lol2: Good point. Sometimes I can't even understand the mindset of half the people on this forum! :D :hide:

No Rest Farm":18ukonos said:
It was an election anomaly that Lincoln got elected. The democrats fractured into three groups fighting for power that they had three conventions.
The ran a Northern,Southern and Constitutional party against him.
Just look at the electoral map of 1860

Caustic Burno":16inauhr said:
wacocowboy":16inauhr said:
I love studying history from back then. Like CB said it made things worse for the south Lincoln wanted everything just to go back to normal no punishment.
The twelve years of reconstruction only fueled the hatred of the federal government. This along with the Democratic Party passing Jim Crow laws
founding the KKK to continue the fight against Northern aggression.
This can be seen all the way to the policies of LBJ going all the back to the
Peckerwood Jaybird war of Texas that set the course of Texas politics for the next century.

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/tx-jaybirdwar.html
:nod: :nod: Mostly true but the KKK was not founded to fight against the North but rather to try and continue to control the released emancipated slaves.....moved them from the cotton fields to the iron ore mines and industrial areas.

Caustic Burno":29r0yjov said:
No Rest Farm":29r0yjov said:
It was an election anomaly that Lincoln got elected. The democrats fractured into three groups fighting for power that they had three conventions.
The ran a Northern,Southern and Constitutional party against him.
Just look at the electoral map of 1860
I love history and have studied the 1860s more than any other period. The more I read the more I realize how hard it is to understand everything that people thought back then.

TexasBred":39smyjy2 said:
Caustic Burno":39smyjy2 said:
wacocowboy":39smyjy2 said:
I love studying history from back then. Like CB said it made things worse for the south Lincoln wanted everything just to go back to normal no punishment.
The twelve years of reconstruction only fueled the hatred of the federal government. This along with the Democratic Party passing Jim Crow laws
Peckerwood Jaybird war of Texas that set the course of Texas politics for the next century.

:nod: :nod: Mostly true but the KKK was not founded to fight against the North but rather to try and continue to control the released emancipated slaves.....moved them from the cotton fields to the iron ore mines and industrial areas.

History disagrees
Look at the KKK act of 1871

http://historynewsnetwork.org/article/3554

Caustic Burno":362y2u1m said:
TexasBred":362y2u1m said:
Caustic Burno":362y2u1m said:

History disagrees
Look at the KKK act of 1871

http://historynewsnetwork.org/article/3554

CB that just confirms what I said....the KKK was not formed to fight the north. It was formed to intimidate, kill, and contain recently emancipated slaves. Thus the need for the KKK Act of 1871.

TB that was nothing but guerilla warfare against the north. I am quite familiar with the reasoning and rhetoric behind the cause my Great Grandfather was the big lizard in Texas.
It was an organization to spread mayhem and sedition to the federal government

Caustic Burno":8xjxyd1u said:
TB that was nothing but guerilla warfare against the north. I am quite familiar with the reasoning and rhetoric behind the cause my Great Grandfather was the big lizard in Texas.
It was an organization to spread mayhem and sedition to the federal government
WEll regardless of what great grandpa said your link even says different.

During the Senate debates on the Ku Klux Klan Act of 1871, it was revealed that members of the Democratic Party formed many terrorist organizations like the Ku Klux Klan to murder and intimidate African Americans voters. The Ku Klux Klan Act was a bill introduced by a Republican Congress to stop Klan Activities. Senate debates revealed that the Klan was the terrorist arm of the Democratic Party.

History reveals that Democrats lynched, burned, mutilated and murdered thousands of blacks and completely destroyed entire towns and communities occupied by middle class Blacks, including Rosewood, Florida, the Greenwood District in Tulsa Oklahoma, and Wilmington, North Carolina to name a few.

After the Civil War, Democrats murdered several hundred black elected officials (in the South) to regain control of the southern government. All of the elected officials up to 1935 were Republicans. As of 2004, the Democrat Party (the oldest political party in America) has never elected a black man to the United States Senate, the Republicans have elected three.

They weren't bothering the north. This was for the protection of the south and the emancipated blacks.

TB your not that stupid it was a terrorist arm of the Democratic Party.
Who ceded from the north the Southern Democratic Party.
What was the purpose of the group?
To undermine the authority of Federal government. For the next hundred years the Democratic Party held the Federal government at bay through a multi prong attack using the KKK, poll tax and Jim Crow.

Thought this might be interesting regarding Wilkes conspirators.

From the early days of their incarceration, the bulk of the assassination conspirators were forced to wear hoods. Originally, the hoods were of made of canvas. All the main conspirators as we know them, excepting Dr. Mudd and Mary Surratt, had to wear these hoods. The hoods were placed on their heads in order to prevent communication among the conspirators while aboard the monitors and then continued while they were imprisoned in the Arsenal Penitentiary. On May 1st, Dr. George Porter, who was under the command of the prison's superintendent, General Hartranft, made an examination of the prisoners and suggested that, "the hoods be padded." Though it has been written that this recommendation was caused by the so called "suicide attempt" on the part of Lewis Powell, it is also possible that Dr. Porter was hoping a padded hood might be of better comfort to the prisoners. As it turns out, Dr. Porter's order caused even more grief to the Lincoln assassination conspirators.

On May 8th, the padded hoods had been made and were placed on the conspirators. Sam Arnold remembered these hoods with distinct displeasure:

It fitted the head tightly, containing cotton pads, which were placed directly over the eyes and ears, having the tendency to push the eyeballs back in the sockets. One small aperture allowed about the nose through which to breathe, and one by which food could be served to the mouth, thence extending also from the crown of the head backwards to the neck. The cords were drawn as tight as the jailor in charge could pull them, causing the most excruciating pain and suffering, and then tied in such a manner around the neck that it was impossible to remove them.

When the conspirators were brought into the court room for the first time on May 9th, even the members of the military commission were taken aback at their torturous appearance. After observing the disgust of the commission, General Hartranft made sure, from that day forward, that the padded hoods were removed before the conspirators were brought into the trial room. Nevertheless, they were still required to wear the padded hoods when not in court.

As time passed, General Hartranft began to take pity on the suffering conspirators due to their padded hoods. On June 6th, Hartranft formally requested the padded hoods be removed from all the conspirators excepting Lewis Powell. This request was finally carried out on June 10th.

The removal of the hoods was a godsend to the conspirators and greatly benefited their quality of life. Less than a month later however, four of the conspirators would receive a new hood. The insides of these July 7th execution hoods would be the last view Mary Surratt, Lewis Powell, David Herold, and George Atzerodt would ever see.

TennesseeTuxedo":6e0wiwva said:
Margonme":6e0wiwva said:
Bestoutwest":6e0wiwva said:
Ok, let's not get this locked. I'm reading American Brutus which tells the story of the assissnation, Wilkes's upbringing and the conspiracy. This has really given me a new perspective on him. So, my question is, how is he perceived in the South? Is he looked upon as a hero and martyr, or as an aggitator that brought more scrutiny to the post-war South? I'd love to hear opinions from border states, deep states anywhere. Canadians, what were you taught?

From a neutral border state, famous for fast women and beautiful horses, his place in history is not based on advancing any cause or agenda. His notoriety is not secured for committing just any assassination but the assassination of perhaps the greatest President of the United States of America.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't he a pretty good actor for the day?
I haven't read American Brutus, but for what it's worth I do remember hearing a few years ago that John Wilkes Booth
was about = to being the George Clooney of his day in both looks and fame as an actor.

Which is to say, women considered him a heart throb and the common man envied his success.

Caustic Burno":3lvvttbc said:
TB your not that stupid it was a terrorist arm of the Democratic Party.
Who ceded from the north the Southern Democratic Party.
What was the purpose of the group?
To undermine the authority of Federal government. For the next hundred years the Democratic Party held the Federal government at bay through a multi prong attack using the KKK, poll tax and Jim Crow.
All true but there was no violence toward the gov't......I was talking about those that were more directly affected (loss of life) were the former slaves and the whites who supported their freedom. This was the true violent side of the KKK, aka Democratic party in the south.

Bestoutwest":1hc6vuig said:
Yeah, I've read some of the debates before and he was no champion of the blacks.
sim.-ang.king":1hc6vuig said:
Because he knew they would never fit in with the White man and revert to their tribal ways.
pdfangus":1hc6vuig said:
I can not understand the mindset of over half of the us population today... much less a hundred and fifty years ago.
Same mindset that brought you the Trail of Tears and the near extinction of buffalo in an effort to exterminate Native Americans with the "only good Indian is a dead Indian" solution to the "Indian Problem".

Latest posts