John Wilkes Booth

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard":2b3zwof8 said:
pdfangus":2b3zwof8 said:
AN ASSASSIN IS PRETTY MUCH AN ASSASSIN NO MATTER WHERE YOUR HISTORY AND ROOTS LIE....

I AGREE!
We can speculate all day as to "WHY" he killed Lincoln. Only fact we know is that he DID kill Lincoln and should be remembered as a murderer. Now Dr. Mudd is another story.

City Guy":34xinryt said:
I read somewhere that he was billed as "The Handsomest Man in America"
You're joking right?? Must have been some awfully ugly folks back then......especially men. :lol:

Bestoutwest":1a7tp14n said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1a7tp14n said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't he a pretty good actor for the day?

Yes, according to this book he toured nationally, got great reviews and was decently famous.

I was led to believe it was this fame and his notoriety which got him past security and into the area where Lincoln was. Also, I think, Lincoln's guard was tending to some personal business at the time.

Here, he's just viewed as the guy who killed Lincoln for whatever reason.

Jogeephus":22m11d90 said:
Here, he's just viewed as the guy who killed Lincoln for whatever reason.

Same here. Never really knew that much about him.
He killed one man.
Lincoln was responsible for killing many more than that.
But like many assassinations, his act just fueled all the Lincoln hoopla and poured fuel on the fire making Lincoln into some kind of a martyr.

I love studying history from back then. Like CB said it made things worse for the south Lincoln wanted everything just to go back to normal no punishment.

wacocowboy":188ys170 said:
I love studying history from back then. Like CB said it made things worse for the south Lincoln wanted everything just to go back to normal no punishment.
The twelve years of reconstruction only fueled the hatred of the federal government. This along with the Democratic Party passing Jim Crow laws
founding the KKK to continue the fight against Northern aggression.
This can be seen all the way to the policies of LBJ going all the back to the
Peckerwood Jaybird war of Texas that set the course of Texas politics for the next century.

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/tx-jaybirdwar.html

I'm actually pretty surprised. I thought at least someone on here would have said they were brought up to believe he was heroic. After reading this book, I believe he was a guy that THOUGHT he was being heroic and had gone off the deep end. Fascinating topic though. Thanks for sharing today.

Bestoutwest":2jexrv77 said:
I'm actually pretty surprised. I thought at least someone on here would have said they were brought up to believe he was heroic. After reading this book, I believe he was a guy that THOUGHT he was being heroic and had gone off the deep end. Fascinating topic though. Thanks for sharing today.

Not sure anybody would consider it heroic to slip up on an unarmed man, and shoot him in the back of the head.

Caustic Burno":2iihrmyh said:
Bestoutwest":2iihrmyh said:
Caustic Burno":2iihrmyh said:
With Lincoln there would have been no reconstruction as known in the history books today.
Reconstruction had more to do with the hatred for the North than the war IMO

Please elaborate on this. Would it have been better or worse for the south?

Much better for the south had Lincoln lived as his philosophy was malice towards none. He figured the south had payed enough already
http://www.infoplease.com/encyclopedia/ ... -plan.html

Yes he would of been, he just wanted to bring back the south, and treat it as if it had never happen.
To bad some screwball had to bump him off. Couldn't of Booth just waited a couple more years?

Andrew Johnson was impeached cause like Lincoln he didn't want to continue punishing the south with the evil reconstruction plan that left the south in poverty for decades to come.
It is about follow the power and money.

Bigfoot said:
Not sure anybody would consider it heroic to slip up on an unarmed man, and shoot him in the back of the head.

I'm sure there are some out there that to them he represented the tyranny of the North(Booth was one). I think about the families that lost millions in property the day he signed the Emancipation Proclamation. Doesn't matter how he died, it was the fact he that he was dead. I was just wondering if any of the held over to today.

Bestoutwest":1l3hjfto said:

It is all about timing when he did it the war was lost. If he had done it before the election and if McClellan had won the Confederacy would probably consider him a hero. McClellan wanted the Union back whole but his party was for a peaceful end to fighting basically letting the Southern States go. What I know of McClellan he probably caves to his party the war is over and you have a divided country resulting from Booth's actions.

Bestoutwest":cinwgvsy said:
Bigfoot said:

I'm sure there are some out there that to them he represented the tyranny of the North(Booth was one). I think about the families that lost millions in property the day he signed the Emancipation Proclamation. Doesn't matter how he died, it was the fact he that he was dead. I was just wondering if any of the held over to today.
[/quote][/quote]

Lincoln didn't come up with the emancipation proclamation for freedom it was about placing a hardship on the south they were winning the war until Gettysburg
Lincolns plan was to expel all the slaves to Central American
The altruistic motives published in most history books are not the truth.
Go read some of Lincoln debates he did not believe the Negro as an equal.
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.history. ... ent=safari

pdfangus":1lbfwgdn said:
letters in the english language have only the sound the reader infers to them....

old men type in big letters....

Industrial standards as well. We printed in all caps on drawings and documents for over 30 years before CADD existed. It is hard to print in small case now.

TMI stood for Three Miles Island for 5 decades as well. When most of us see "TMI" we are NOT thinking what you are thinking.

Boothe did us more harm than good.

Davemk":jbv6bjgh said:
Lincoln would have been much better for the south during reconstruction.

I think you are right.

Native of Va with four great-uncles,one great-great uncle, a great-grandfather and a great-great grandfather in the Confederate service fighting for their defense.

Caustic Burno":11z4tgwe said:
Bestoutwest":11z4tgwe said:
Bigfoot said:

[/quote]

Lincoln didn't come up with the emancipation proclamation for freedom it was about placing a hardship on the south they were winning the war until Gettysburg
https://www.google.com/amp/amp.history. ... ent=safari[/quote][/quote][/quote]

Yeah, I've read some of the debates before and he was no champion if the blacks. Hell, he didn't even want them to stay in America.

Bestoutwest":1tvcl7xn said:
Caustic Burno":1tvcl7xn said:
Bestoutwest":1tvcl7xn said:
Bigfoot said:

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.history. ... ent=safari[/quote][/quote][/quote]

Yeah, I've read some of the debates before and he was no champion if the blacks. be nice, he didn't even want them to stay in America.[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]
Because he knew they would never fit in with the White man, and revert to their tribal ways. Which wouldn't be good for unity in this country. hint! hint! :roll:

Latest posts