John Deere vs. New Holland (round 1)

Help Support CattleToday:

DustyH

Reaction score
Just for my information and to get everyone cranked up, is a John Deere worth the extra money? I have been looking at tractors lately and the New Holland I have been looking at is about $5,000 cheaper that a John Deere comparably equiped. I know John Deere is made in Georgia, but where are New Holland tractors made? What is the life expectancy of each with proper care? I am looking in the 75 to 80 horse range.

Keeerist! Now you have gone and done it.

The JD boys will be out telling the entire world their machinery is God's gift to agriculture.

I own green paint, red paint, blue paint and yeah, even some orange.

Bottom line is - if I can find something that is apples to apples - I do not pay for colour - I pay the least I can.

You can Google all the other answers for your questions - but trust me - you watch your pennies and put the extra cash into your piggy bank. No matter how much money you think you need to operate - you need a minimum of three years available. The pros will say anywhere from three to six months - some might even say a year - that is why they are in an office - they are unable to make it in the ag world!

I have the T-shirt to prove why I am right - another time for another story.

Anytime you can get comparable ( your words) and save 5 grand and you do not .... well, a fool and his money are soon parted.

Your money and .... well, you did ask for thoughts and opinions.

Loyalty to colour? Bah!

Putting money in the bank? That is the name of the game.

Have a great day,

Bez>

What are you going to be doing with it?

To tell you the truth they are both pretty close. Both are made cheaper and more disposable as is everything now days. The John Deeres of today are not what they use to be. They are all made the same now. CHEAP!

IF you want a good solid, heavy tractor go back and buy a used early to mid 90s John Deere.

I believe New Holland is made in Italy. We have a 90hp New Holland. We use it for moving hay, disking, renovating, shredding, ect... ranch stuff... no planting crops or anything. We pull a 12' disk and 15' Bushhog like nothing behind it.

Some New Hollands are made in England some in Italy.The 5000 series JD is made in US and the 6015 and 6030 series are made in Germany.Check out John Deere web site and do comparisons on the model you like.Both companies have economy and deluxe lines.Make sure you like tractors.I run Ford my cousin runs Deere . We respect each others tractors but hardly ever admit it.

Like Bez said, if you can get a comparable tractor for less money, go the less money route. I've owned doggoned near every color of paint there is, and they all break down eventually. And no matter what a Deere guy tells you, they break down just as often as any other color of paint.

Rod

flaboy?":31kcphkd said:
Ah, just split the difference and buy red. :lol:

That's the right answer. Massey is a good value and a very dependable line of equipment. Nobody needs to worry about the 'where's it built" approach because the only thing made in America anymore is American babies (and some of those are suspect!)

Bullbuyer":8o07q7pz said:
flaboy?":8o07q7pz said:
Ah, just split the difference and buy red. :lol:

That's the right answer. Massey is a good value and a very dependable line of equipment. Nobody needs to worry about the 'where's it built" approach because the only thing made in America anymore is American babies (and some of those are suspect!)

It just hard to argue with reliability of that Perkins engine.

DiamondSCattleCo":qrb698q6 said:
flaboy?":qrb698q6 said:
It just had to argue with reliability of that Perkins engine.

Bah, that Perkins was reliable as heck. You just couldn't eat an ice cream cone around it, as it would then need ether to fire up.

Rod

My bad Rod. I had to fix the typo. It should have read "hard to argue".

I have four Reds and a Yellow. Only one Red needs either on cold mornings and it has a gazillion hours on it. How many hours is that? :lol:

Then again my cold and yours is two different things. :shock:

DustyH":yxzwh1pi said:
Just for my information and to get everyone cranked up, is a John Deere worth the extra money? I have been looking at tractors lately and the New Holland I have been looking at is about $5,000 cheaper that a John Deere comparably equiped. I know John Deere is made in Georgia, but where are New Holland tractors made? What is the life expectancy of each with proper care? I am looking in the 75 to 80 horse range.

Dusty,what models are you comparing,I have found around here New Holland to be about the same price as a comparable john deere,but if you are comparing apples to apples take the 5 grand :D good luck

the orange tractors are cheaper then the blues, and the blues are a little cheaper the green ones. there are pros and cons with all tractors. i think it will just come down to how much you wanna pay.

All of the tractor manufacturers make models that are comparable in HP, price, features, etc. so that they will all meet/match their competitiors bids (Highway Depts., County, City, & State) when goverments lets these bids.

For someone to say that one manufacturer is more than another aren't comparing tractors with equal amenities.

They are ALL very close in prices. If one was $5,000 cheaper than another, the others would never sell a tractor. :roll:

MikeC":3r3qyza1 said:
All of the tractor manufacturers make models that are comparable in HP, price, features, etc. so that they will all meet/match their competitiors bids (Highway Depts., County, City, & State) when goverments lets these bids.

For someone to say that one manufacturer is more than another aren't comparing tractors with equal amenities.

They are ALL very close in prices. If one was $5,000 cheaper than another, the others would never sell a tractor. :roll:

Tractors have amenities? There goes Mike again talking about A/C, Stereo, and such. Oh, and living rooms above the rear ends. :lol:

MikeC":jaz1omrt said:

Alot has to do with the extras that come on them.

When you go to get prices on a tractors to compare tell them to break every option down and show it on a sheet.

John Deer tends to add alot of stuff so it looks more expensive but you are actually paying for more options.

The problem it not every one needs all those option. Like a self leveling bucket something or another.

Break them down and yo ucan really compare. John Deere is higher in price by how much depends on the comparison.

flaboy?":2aw5z4bt said:
MikeC":2aw5z4bt said:

Tractors have amenities? There goes Mike again talking about A/C, Stereo, and such. Oh, and living rooms above the rear ends. :lol:

If I have to stay on one for 14-15 hours a day like I did several days a few weeks ago, it better be comfortable. The "BAR" is the main deal! :lol:

MikeC":1cwh0y2i said:

I dunno Mike, I spose maybe things are different in your neck of the woods. Around here, green generally commands a price, whether it be new or used.

For example, 1270 Case, cab, AC, radio will sell for around $12K. 4430 JD will close in around $18K. 1206 IHC will be around that $12K mark. 1135 Massey with the same setup will sell for $7K.

And ditto the newer stuff. McCormick 125 FWA with Leon 808, 3PTH, shuttle shift, CD player, four remotes will sell for $85K. Right across the road, an equivalent JD FWA will run $95K.

Like I said, perhaps its just our area or Canada in general, as I see similar things in the AgriTraders.

Rod

Latest posts