John Deere 6140 D

Help Support CattleToday:

hwy84

Reaction score
Anyone have an experience with John Deere"s D series of tractors? I was told they had trouble with them especially the 9 spds but I've found one locally thats priced right. Has 5K hours on it so its been used.

No common issues that I am aware of. I have a 6130D with (only 1500 hours on it); no issues thus far. Decided to go with the 6000 series D as the 5000 series E tractors seem to have multiple recurring issues.

Had a 6115d with 9 speed. We put about 1800 before traded it. No real problems at all. I did not like the 9 speed felt like always in wrong gear. Was a solid and simple tractor. Maybe the coldest ac I ever seen on a cabbed anything.

Mine has the 9 speed. No shortage of power or traction; was tired of spinning tires with my 5420's when pulling the 14' disc / 16' drag harrow combination. Pulls a Great Plains 1006NT like no tomorrow. Unless you are a row crop farmer, don't see where you would need more power. Best power & weight value with green paint. If I changed anything, I would swap the 9 speed for a 12 speed just to keep the rpm's where I want them.

Latest posts