John Deere 510 round baler

Help Support CattleToday:

42acres

Reaction score
I found a 510 baler for $1000, looks to be in pretty good shape. Does anyone have any info on these balers, dependability?, weaknesses?. Can i pull it with a 5ohp tractor?

42acres":31ddwc6q said:
I found a 510 baler for $1000, looks to be in pretty good shape. Does anyone have any info on these balers, dependability?, weaknesses?. Can i pull it with a 5ohp tractor?
Yes you can pull it with a 50 HP tractor but will it bale hay, NO. It is one of the worst closed throat balers ever made. Run away from it as fast as you can. You will age years in just one season if you try to use that baler. They will not even get a bid at the local auctions.

I still run a 510. and make about 400 rolls a year. I have run it for about 6 years and spent $1000 on parts. It sort of limps me by and my cows don't complane about the baler. Yes it is a pain in the butt. But after about 3 years I finley learned to use it. However when I get $15,000 saved up in my baler account i am going to trade it in . In the mean time I plan to limp along with it.
And it is too much baler for a 50 horse tractor. I started pulling mine with a 46 horse JD 2020 and it was just too much. The old 2020 did it but I was working the stue out of it. I now roll with a JD 6300 and it workes great.

Latest posts