John Deere 450C dozer

Help Support CattleToday:

TXBobcat

Reaction score
What's the biggest size trees you can take out with a JD 450C dozer?

We are fixing to get one at the ranch to clear mesquite, cedar, etc. It looks just like this one:
http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...5849246&guid=6523D2041AAD4316835DC7CF7E8B2F64

The machine we are looking at has about 80-85% undercarriage, rock gaurds, and fresh paint. Actual hours are unknown since meter was broken. Only negative is that it is a little harder to turn to the right. You have to pull back on the stick pretty hard.

if i could take out a 6 1/2-7 in tree with just a polaris ranger, a dozer should do just fine taking out nice sized trees

I cleared 10 acres of thorn apple and mountain olive with my Komatsu D21A. Biggest apple trees I pushed were 10" diameter. Your 450 is bigger than my Kumatsu, so I would say 12" should be possible. Bigger trees I used the backhoe to loosen the roots first then pushed with the dozer.

Hope the one you're looking at is cheaper than that one. You can get a "real" dozer for 20k.

cfpinz

See if you can't pick up a tree pusher somewhere

That just an A frame thats attached with ends on the dozer and the top of the A pushes the top of the tree. Gives you leverage and then the blade gets it up under the roots . You could make one with a couple of lengths of strong pipe or box section . Serrated tooth on the top to bite in. cross brace 1/2 way up

You can take out any size tree you want. It is just a matter of how much time you are willing to spend and how much experience you have. I have taken out some pretty large trees with a skid steer.
Cut the roots around the perimeter first, pile dirt on one side, climb higher on tree to push. Build or buy a tree knocker, the "A" frame on blade.
For a 450 case up to a 6" tree is normal use. But it also depends a lot on the dirt you are in, and the type of root system the tree has.

novatech":6n639wah said:
You can take out any size tree you want. It is just a matter of how much time you are willing to spend and how much experience you have. I have taken out some pretty large trees with a skid steer.
Cut the roots around the perimeter first, pile dirt on one side, climb higher on tree to push. Build or buy a tree knocker, the "A" frame on blade.
For a 450 case up to a 6" tree is normal use. But it also depends a lot on the dirt you are in, and the type of root system the tree has.

You have worked a dozer but you can also flip one upside down I have seen it done pushing over trees. It is not easy flipping a 27000 pound dozer back on the tracks.

I can push over any size tree with that dozer. Trick is to cut the roots on one side and then replace the dirt sort of like a ramp and then push it over and backup quickly. Start off on smaller trees so that you get a feel for it, you can get hurt or killed in short order if you don't know what your doing or if a tree twists on you. BE CAREFUL!

Caustic Burno":2wmb5gbt said:
novatech":2wmb5gbt said:

You have worked a dozer but you can also flip one upside down I have seen it done pushing over trees. It is not easy flipping a 27000 pound dozer back on the tracks.

Darn right. Years ago watched a guy push down on a blade on a TD 8 International while going up a tank dam. Novice couldn't remember up from down. Rolled that thing end for end back down the dam. Didnt get hert,but he never got back on that dozer.

novatech":2gatq4ls said:
Caustic Burno":2gatq4ls said:
novatech":2gatq4ls said:

Darn right. Years ago watched a guy push down on a blade on a TD 8 International while going up a tank dam. Novice couldn't remember up from down. Rolled that thing end for end back down the dam. Didnt get hert,but he never got back on that dozer.

And it is still not funny.

We have an '80's model 450E. It's a little bigger than that one. We can take out almost any tree on our place with it. The ones we can't get, get taken out by the D6. Our Deere is also a little harder to turn right also.

I haven't purchased a repair manual for the JD 450C, and I was wondering how much time, labor, and/or money would be involved in getting the machine back to where it would turn right easier.

After using it for several hours the last few days, I don't really have any complaints about the machine except the hard to turn right issue. Just wondering how much it would cost to get it fixed, or how hard it would be to do myself?

I've used a little International dozer and pushed every tree I needed to. Like someone said you just need a little time. Cut the roots, push a little dirt up the tree and push it over.

Had a feller clear some land for me and he used a little (I mean like D4 size) Fiat. That sucker was fast and he had no problem what-so-ever with any tree on my place. He had a six-way blade and he would turn the blade and cut all the way around the big trees, push up a little dirt on his way up the tree and that sucker was on the ground.

Be careful. You need to be off the tree when it goes over.

Latest posts