John deere 450 dozer 1980

Help Support CattleToday:

smartin0022

Reaction score
Dad's got a Lil compact 450 dozer has good undercarriage etc. The only thing I dislike so far is the lever steer but I'm adjusting to it. Has anyone ever owned one? What issues did you have? I'm considering buying this Lil dozer for the farm as dad's now looking at 650's and D6's.
I will just be grading out small barn pads clearing up rough ground etc. It has a winch and I may use it to pull some logs time to time. I pulled some 300-450 board feet white oak and 3 walnuts at a time full length logs bucked off with it as well. Never got hot or struggled much I ran it about 6 hrs without issue.

Attachments

• 20220427_124125.jpg
    20220427_124125.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 21
Is it a 450B, C, D , E or what series
It's a C. Has a winch but the winch broke last log job so who knows how much that's gonna cost to fix. He said he'd take 15k once he finds another dozer this is a 2nd owner machine with low hours came from a farmer in Carolina. Doesn't seem to be abused or dad wouldn't have bought it.

If my memory is correct a C still has dry steering clutches. Those were the main thing that had to be repaired. Both the dozer and winch were pretty simple to work on if needed. If low hours I would think that's not a bad price

450c had wet clutchs. Get a manual and set the steering per the manual. I have a 450B had everything in good shape grandson went into the woods blazing some atv trails. Came back this thing will not steer to the right. Also the track adjusting cylinders seals are shot. $1500 each side. Not steering could be a lot of things. Right now it is nothing but a wasp nest hideout.

450c had wet clutchs. Get a manual and set the steering per the manual. I have a 450B had everything in good shape grandson went into the woods blazing some atv trails. Came back this thing will not steer to the right. Also the track adjusting cylinders seals are shot. $1500 each side. Not steering could be a lot of things. Right now it is nothing but a wasp nest hideout.
If the C has wet clutches it's much easier.