Joe---what kind of varmint is making my life miserable?

Help Support CattleToday:

Only dealing I ever had with them was with a backhoe--then the drought started and I guess they went back to the river.

Took a friend of mine to the den a little while ago--they done mudded over most of it so I can't see in it anymore. Then, I went and cleaned out that 2nd pipe again, it won't lower the water, but it will keep them busy plugging it back up again.
I do have some regular 4 1/2 jaw traps--I may set one inside that pipe while it has about 6" of water in it, seein as how they go in there every night and plug it up.

I have my spotlight charging up, but I ain't supposed shoot anything bigger than a .22.

If you set the leg trap in the pipe all you will catch is a stick. You need to set it in about 10" of water at the mouth of the pipe about 14-18" or so back from the six inch water level and try and catch his rear leg. He will swim up to the pipe with a bundle of sticks in his front legs and when his elbows hit the dirt he will throw down his rear feet to the ground and walk the sticks into the pipe. This is where the trap needs to be and it needs to be on flat ground so you may need to stomp out a little step for the trap to sit level. Anchor it good with some mud anchors or some cable else he'll steal your trap.

I now know way more about these critters than ever, more than I previously learned in 60+ years, thanks to you good folks.

By reading I also found out that some little piles of pine needles and debris I have been seeing on the pond bank are this colony's territorial marking mounds. I asked a neighbor if he knew what they were over 2 months ago and he opined that turtles or gators had made them.
Now I know better and also know that I was right about the tuberous roots I have been seeing on the bank--lily root stalks---the beaver are pulling them up and out and eating the little white tender parts.
c0ce3a2a41cb86c379248a97af3ab4b3.jpg

Think of them like a dog. Set your trap near the scent mound and put some lure on it. The beaver will have to go pizz on the tire and you got him. They can't help themselves.

Went down this morning a spoke with a couple of locals that I know to be pretty much outlaw hunters. I think they are going to come down one night and do some shooting.
Since I have zero experience with snares, I went by the gunshop and they happpened to have two 330 conibear traps. Started to get them both---glad I did not. Somebody culda mentioned it takes 2 men and a boy to squeeze them springs together. (I hate being a dam invalid) After several unsuccessful attempts with pipe clamps and all other manner of already owned contrivances, (brake spring pliers/wood clamps/giant channel locks) I watched some videos on how to do it with paracord or small dia rope--or how to make a pair of setters from a 1/4 bolt/nut and 1" x 1/4" flat bar and a grinder..
Now, do I place it flat on bottom near an entrance or drive sticks in and place it standing up where they have to go thru it instead of stepping on the trigger?

(that thing just looks dangerous as hades to me--no matter which way it's done sure hate to end up back in the horsepital with a broke up hand)

Yeah, there is a trick to setting the springs. Cord works good in the field but the tool works better on the hill. Its also wise to keep a hacksaw handy in case it catches you. Trappers will oftentimes sew a hacksaw blade in their jacket lining for insurance.

You want it standing upright. I find the dive stick setup works best. I'll build a funnel type thing with sticks and junk and then set a dive stick about 3" off the water and they will duck under this and get caught. Kills them immediately. I know I don't need to say this but I'll say it anyway. Set the trap up first and get it all set to the right depth and all then and only then take the safeties off and always watch them because they sometimes work themselves free.

Good luck with them. You are fixing to find out what stubborness really is. Its a beaver.

I still think you'll do better with snares. I like them much better because they are cheap and easy to make. Also, I can put out several snares in the time it takes me to lug a conibear in the swamp and set it up but my access is pretty poor.

If you have some aircraft cable, washers and some nuts you can make several in no time. You just drill holes in the washers, bend them in a vice and then crimp the cable with nuts. Here is all you need to make them.

This is what they look like finished and you'll only have a buck or so in each one and they are just as successful and much safer.

Here's one I caught using a snare in the dive stick setup.

I think before its over, which it will never be over, you'll be like me and have an array of leg traps, snares and a pile of conibears. We trapped one pond that we thought we had four beavers in but before we finished we had trapped 26 in two weeks. I've called a truce with mine. As long as they don't start stopping up my pipes I don't trap them but when they do I declare war on them and use everything I have at them. They are vile creatures.

greybeard":4p26feny said:
Went down this morning a spoke with a couple of locals that I know to be pretty much outlaw hunters. I think they are going to come down one night and do some shooting.
Since I have zero experience with snares, I went by the gunshop and they happpened to have two 330 conibear traps. Started to get them both---glad I did not. Somebody culda mentioned it takes 2 men and a boy to squeeze them springs together. (I hate being a dam invalid) After several unsuccessful attempts with pipe clamps and all other manner of already owned contrivances, (brake spring pliers/wood clamps/giant channel locks) I watched some videos on how to do it with paracord or small dia rope--or how to make a pair of setters from a 1/4 bolt/nut and 1" x 1/4" flat bar and a grinder..
Now, do I place it flat on bottom near an entrance or drive sticks in and place it standing up where they have to go thru it instead of stepping on the trigger?

(that thing just looks dangerous as hades to me--no matter which way it's done sure hate to end up back in the horsepital with a broke up hand)

I used the flat bar rig for setters. If you go this route, be sure to make them good and long for plenty of leverage. As jo said, BE CAREFUL. safeties un hooked is your last step. I know a fella that went to mess with a set and thought he latched the safeties but didn't get them hooked, ended up with the conibear on his forearm. 3 miles from nearest home, lost his cell in the water. Lost his arm from elbow down..instant tourniquet, along with violently broken bones. So be careful, take your time, and double check your safeties!

Jogeephus":71ou0qh3 said:
I still think you'll do better with snares. I like them much better because they are cheap and easy to make. Also, I can put out several snares in the time it takes me to lug a conibear in the swamp and set it up but my access is pretty poor.

If you have some aircraft cable, washers and some nuts you can make several in no time. You just drill holes in the washers, bend them in a vice and then crimp the cable with nuts. Here is all you need to make them.

This is what they look like finished and you'll only have a buck or so in each one and they are just as successful and much safer.

Here's one I caught using a snare in the dive stick setup.

I think before its over, which it will never be over, you'll be like me and have an array of leg traps, snares and a pile of conibears. We trapped one pond that we thought we had four beavers in but before we finished we had trapped 26 in two weeks. I've called a truce with mine. As long as they don't start stopping up my pipes I don't trap them but when they do I declare war on them and use everything I have at them. They are vile creatures.

Your so right about the beavers jo. They are relentless adversaries. I also agree about the dive stick setup. That's how we trapped every one of ours last year. It sure is a nice feeling to go check traps and see that big ol brown bugger locked in a trap!

Bball, I hate the things with a passion. Our land is so flat all they have to do is throw up a 3' dam and they've flooded a couple hundred acres of bottomland hardwoods which will die if the water isn't taken off them before summer.

My understanding is they travel upstream when they spread so from Greybeard's photo it looks like they are coming from the National Forest land and I'm sure they are tickled pink they have them so his problem will probably continue like mine has. And its a job to trap especially when you have other chores to do.

Seeing one dead in the trap does give you a warm feeling. But what really gives me a warm feeling is finding one trapped in a snare and with the fight still in him and I get to dispatch the trouble maker.

Here is a funnel setup I put in a run with a snare. I could have used a conibear but either works well in this situation. If you look close you can see I took some hardware wire and rigged it to hold the snare in place. The snare was open about 10" and the bottom of the snare was set about 3" underwater. I then breached the dam just behind this funnel. I like to do this right before a rain because it seems they check their dams more often after a rain.

I got some rain that afternoon and the next morning this fella was in the snare.

Greybeard, another thing worth mentioning is I think you said you got on one of their piles and you saw one looking at you. If you got this close to one then you were too close. Had there been some pups in the den there is a good chance she would have eaten your lunch with these teeth. I think last year some guy was killed by one from a bite in the leg after it cut his artery.

I really really like your snare set up Jo. Going to have to try that. How do you prefer to dispatch them when alive in snare. We are in a similiar scenario. They damned up the main drain ditch, and flooded out a few 100 acres of lowland pasture and row crop ground that is usually workable as long as ditch is open (lots tile draining into it) I will post a picture of me fighting the futile battle of trying to tear out their dam..

bball":4geno2vr said:
I really really like your snare set up Jo. Going to have to try that. How do you prefer to dispatch them when alive in snare. We are in a similiar scenario. They damned up the main drain ditch, and flooded out a few 100 acres of lowland pasture and row crop ground that is usually workable as long as ditch is open (lots tile draining into it) I will post a picture of me fighting the futile battle of trying to tear out their dam..

A round of buckshot works pretty good :tiphat:

JMJ Farms":1i8omxi8 said:
bball":1i8omxi8 said:

A round of buckshot works pretty good :tiphat:

I was thinking .22 to the head or strangled..last year a decent pelt would fetch $50.00..if it wasnt tore up.

I agree if you want to save the pelt a .22 would be better. I would get more satisfaction from splattering him than I would from the skinning and $50. But if you had 20 then that would be $1K. Brings on more talk!

john250":3o5ocgbh said:
Joe, from previous posts I thought your main weapon was dynamite.

I'm not the least bit shy about sending a dam skyward. By hand, it typically it takes about 3 hours to tear a dam out. With science only a matter of seconds.

I normally only do this in the spring to get the water off the trees so they don't die. No need in breaching the dam when the beavers will only build it back the next day. What works for me is I tear a little hole in the dam so they can hear the water flowing then set the traps around this till I thin the beavers down then I breach all the dams and get the water off the trees. This concentrates the beavers so I can just set traps in this area. Before long the traps stay empty but I'll set snares.

bball, I just shoot them in the head with whatever I have handy. I'll either clean it myself or give it to someone else who appreciates the taste of beaver. I think you would like the snares. They are easy and cheap to make so you can set out a bunch of them without breaking the bank. You can use them in about every situation you can use a conibear.

Shouldn't be no water where the tee posts are, and those stacked up rr ties on the left are the bullet backstop for my rifle/pistol range..gonna float or rot away.

DSC00006_zpsvxyzcjr9.jpg

Shouldn't be any water beyond the little pine sapling or the small cedars either.
DSC00007_zpsolxzzpnr.jpg

Should be 12" beams and about 3" of air showing under the planks of this dock right now.
DSC00013%20640x480_zpsk5h5erv5.jpg

Little buggers done tunneled 20' from their casa and the water's edge--I can see water down in the holes.
DSC00008_zpsfkgjc1ls.jpg

You can see the same holes in the foreground here:
DSC00011_zpstqhckhht.jpg

And they built right in the middle of a fence. 3 days ago, when I lked right up on this one, there was no mud on it at all--just sticks and I could see right into it. The main entrance is right under that old stump--I've seen the water move when they head out, but that is deep water--too deep for me to be off in this time of year in any kind of waders.
DSC00009_zpshctwajwz.jpg

And here is where they got me screwed. Water on the left is the main pond. On the right, the level is about 1 1/2' shallower, because underneath this crossing, is a 34" pipe that is plugged up tight and I can't even find it to unplug it. Next medium rain is going to wash this crossing out when the water goes over it. :( Water on left beyond naked bald cypress--none of it should be there.
DSC00019_zpscwjshxrt.jpg

One of their mounds, that I didn't know what was until a day ago.
DSC00018_zpsnligyb8j.jpg

Here, is the next crossing--the one marked "B" on my map. This is the one I absolutely have to keep running clear. I cleaned it completely yesterday with a long piece of PVC pipe.
DSC00024_zpspzs3jgfh.jpg

Over night, they have been working on it again. Got it partially filled with mud and have started hauling sticks in again. This is where I am thinking about placing the conibear--on the approach to this, but there's a concrete parapet that sticks out about 3' in front, so I don't know how I will keep the trap up on it's edge. I suspect tomorrow morning, this will be plugged up completely--again.
DSC00021_zpsnwqu5hbm.jpg

Latest posts