Joe---what kind of varmint is making my life miserable?

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus":31fym4lw said:
Do you think it a sin to hate an animal such as a beaver?

No. I don't think so. If it is, then I'm just gonna have to ask forgiveness...... But only, AFTER, I get through paying to have my dam re-cored because they burrowed a hole through it.

JMJ Farms":851jqvsl said:
Jogeephus":851jqvsl said:
I wish you two would just go ahead and eradicate them because they keep messing with me.

I don't know if that's possible Joe. But Imma gonna try. I'd catch me a gator and put him in the pond if I thought he'd stay. But I figure he will leave so it's up to me.

greybeard":851jqvsl said:
Still got some here too. I did learn one thing--if you shoot one, don't leave it in the water--get it out as soon as it floats up.
Otherwise, swells up big as a 15 gal drum and stinks worse than a dead calf. Sure would help if their eyes reflected light...

I ain't tried to kill none in the open. I've been trapping them with connibears and snares. Got any tips? Just hide out and wait?
Around here, a young male gator will stay in a pond as long as there is plenty to eat. Once they get big enough to fight the big bull alligators for a female or 3, they will leave the pond and go back to the river--around 3-4 years if my own experience with them is any indication. The females are all down in the river-- At least that's what the wildlife folks have told me about the ones that show up in my pond--they're young males looking for a place to hang out and get big. They can eat a LOT of fish and ducks in 3-4 years tho.

Yeah, I pretty much just 'hide out'--in my pickup truck. Mine have been pretty habitual--making the same run every evening right after dark. Just enough light reflected off the clouds from the set sun for me to see the V in the water as one swims along with just his head out. You get one shot, that's it. Here, if I haven't seen one pass by 2 hrs after sunset, might as well pack up and go to the house. So far, they haven't plugged up any waterways or culverts, but they have built a new lodge out on the end of a peninsula--drug one of my duck decoys over and added it to their lodge too. I killed 3 in Sept I think but know some are still here--I keep seeing the remains of the water lily rhizomes they eat floating around.

That's a nice one. Mine so far have all had really rough, course looking hair, and not that big. Don't know how the boys can stand to hold it--these here stink all to be dang alive or dead.
How much property are you trapping on?

greybeard":1a15n4ld said:
That's a nice one. Mine so far have all had really rough, course looking hair, and not that big. Don't know how the boys can stand to hold it--these here stink all to be dang alive or dead.
How much property are you trapping on?

Pond is around 15 acres when it's full but I've siphoned it way down so we can fix the tunnels in the dam where they screwed it up. Probably down to about 5 acres of surface water now. The varmints are now going downstream where the overflow pipe drains (that's where the siphon is draining) and stopping the pipe up and flooding the branch below the dam. I have to unstop it weekly. Slowly but surely I'm gonna outlast them. I burnt the beaver hut and then drug what was left of it out of the pond, loaded it, and hauled it off. One of us has to go, and it ain't gonna be me :lol2: Had a little more success with the snares than the connibears. But both are producing. That's 3 beavers in the last 8 days. And believe it or not.... Almost no smell. Go figure?

Latest posts