Jerseys not cheap anymore.

Help Support CattleToday:

Muddy

Reaction score
Saw a group of jersey steers ran thru the ring, got sold at $1,242.00 per head and the average weight is 540lbs...that's crazy

Its crazy that its rare to find a cheap feeder for sale nowadays. Other dirty cheapest breeds used to be cheap but not anymore.

Muddy":3ojh1tge said:
Its crazy that its rare to find a cheap feeder for sale nowadays. Other dirty cheapest breeds used to be cheap but not anymore.

I am going to the barn in a couple weeks to buy some calves. Toad attends a sale frequently thats almost 3 hours from me that I am going to try in a couple weeks and see whats there before I buy at my usual barn. There is a lot more dairy cattle out his way and I will see what they go for out there. I DONT like fooling with bottle jersey calves but if they go cheap enough I will go darn sure buy some.

I had an opportunity to buying few jersey bull calves for $50 per head last year, should had brought them and sell them right now.

Muddy":p6dheafn said:
I had an opportunity to buying few jersey bull calves for $50 per head last year, should had brought them and sell them right now.

I could buy them for that up until a month or so ago I wish I had bought about 50 of them but knowing the jerseys about 40 would have died

feeder steer #s are so low that forces the feedlots to buy the dairy breed steers.they have to have the cattle.so they will take what they can buy.

I have a neighbor raising jerseys and he went through a lot of hay last winter feeding them. He hauled 14-16 month steers off (what he had left after a heavy death rate) and the averaged 560 lbs. He bragged about making money. The rest of the story he still has a $6,000.00 feed bill at the local store for milk replacer and calf starter. I guess that is how he made money.

bigbull338":1kjb8nvl said:
he learned a hard costly lesson.jerseys are born looking for a place to die.
Isnt all dairy calves are like that? I'd rather take jersey over brown swiss calf at any time, any day.

Muddy":3oi2bhmr said:
bigbull338":3oi2bhmr said:
Isnt all dairy calves are like that? I'd rather take jersey over brown swiss calf at any time, any day.

True...at least the jersey will milk. There's a real art to raising baby calves...I ain't got it. :lol2:

Muddy":2b1n6iez said:
bigbull338":2b1n6iez said:

A vet told me one time "A Guernsey cow spends her whole life walking around looking for a place to lay down and die."

Today at the Emory salebarn, a couple of fresh jerseys sold in the $1400 range. There were two Holstein heifers appeared newborn that sold for $475 apiece. That salebarn doesn't really sell a lot of dairy cattle, so these were standouts in the primarily beef sale. I nearly choked to hear the bid on those baby heifers. That's gonna hurt when they both get the scours.

I read a report from our local sale barn from last week. A pair of highland heifers got sold for $1,300 per head.

We had aJersey/ Brown Swiss cow when I was in Jr and Senior High School,, she had a calf every year in a two week time period. When she was in heat she would get out and find a bull then come home next day. We fed hay in the winter and grass in the summer. Never had to help her with her calf only I would carry the calf to the barn. She done this for six years in a row the only reason we got rid of her was the barn burned down.

Latest posts