jersey steer meat

Help Support CattleToday:

onecowfarms

Reaction score
hello
does anybody know what the diffrence is on the jersey steer meat i have heard that it has yellow fat and is a sweeter meat ? :???:

I have eatten alot of Jersey and Jersey cross steers over the years. The difference in dairy meat and beef bred meat is that the dairy meat has a finer grain and it does not marble. The fat is deposited on the outside so it is easy to trim. It is a naturally lean meat. Cross breds will marble to a degree.

The color of the fat is no different than any other breed and the flavor is good. I think that how the animal is processed has a lot to do with the flavor. We had to change butchers once because one steer had an off flavor and we got a different hog than the one we took in. :(

In fact we have a Hereford x Jersey Steer in the pasture right now who is looking tastier by the day ;-)

PS. Holstein steers are pretty tasty too.

Chippie: I'm surprised that jersey doesn't marble as MikeC posted a link last year that showed jersey marble higher than angus. Probably if Jersey wasn't so small and slow growing they would have crossed them into beef herds more to increase marbling.

Much Ado about Marbling
John R, Brethour, Professor
Beef Cattle Science
KSU Agricultural Research Center – Hays
1232 240th Avenue
Hays, Kansas 67601
[email protected]
What is marbling?
Marbling refers to the little specks of fat dispersed in lean tissue that translates into
big bucks for the beef producer. It is considered the best indicator of eating satisfaction when
consumers enjoy beef. Higher levels of marbling result in better flavor and juiciness.
Although marbling does not guarantee tenderness, well marbled beef can be cooked to a
higher degree of doneness and still maintain juiciness. This seems especially important for
roasts.
Why is it important?
Marbling is almost the sole indicator of USDA quality grade, which ranges from
Standard to Prime. Although some people contend that well marbled beef is too fat to be
healthy, there is only 4.5 percent fat in a trimmed Low Choice rib steak. In recent years there
has been a proliferation of branded products such as Certified Angus Beef and Sterling Silver
using carcasses that grade Average Choice and higher. Often the grades Average Choice and
High Choice are referred to as Premium Choice. Only 2 percent of all carcasses grade Prime
while about 50% grade Choice. Beef with virtually no marbling that would grade USDA
Standard is usually left ungraded but some brands such as "Laura's Lean" actually specify
beef with little or no marbling.
Breeds and marbling
Marbling is very highly related to breed. Jersey is especially high in marbling but the
Japanese Wagyu probably is the highest marbling breed in the world. In Japan there are three
marbling grades above the USDA High Prime and fat content in the rib eye muscle
sometimes is 45 percent and higher (10 times the amount in USDA Low Choice).

we just got our 2 polled herefords steers back from the butcher 1 steer graded prime the meat is tender and tastes great and our other steer graded above prime his steakes looked like the kolby meats. and the steakes from them were the best.. the grader couldnt belive they came from reg polled herefords. cindy

That is interesting. I bet that it has to do with the age of the animal when it is butchered - oops "harvested". Many of the steers that we have eaten were around 12 months old or less. They would have a fat cover and area of fat between the fascia, but they sure weren't marbled.
We did eat an Brahman x Jersey steer and he was unbelievably greasy. He tasted good though.

I'll be curious to see what our current steer, Forrest, looks like after being processed. He is Hereford x Jersey. He is a slow grower.

Not a Jersey story but some of the best beef I ever ate came off a 1400 lb. registered holstein bull that got electricuted under a lean-to shed. Herdsman ran over, bled him out and loaded him on back of a one-ton truck and hauled him to the locker. After hanging a week or so they butchered that rascal and it was out of the world. He was working cows and eating about 30 pounds of grain per day when he went thru the dairy barn with the cows. We did finally get one roast that was just a little bit strong but that was it. He fed 3 families for a longtime. :) :)

I have the beef from a cow that was a coming 4 year old in my freezer right now. I have an educational article that shows pictures of the various quality grades. I am convinced this beef is prime....sure tastes good too...She was Day's Hazlett bloodlines on top, Lawmaker on bottom. I have been intending to get some film and take some pics of the beef, but at the rate it is disappearing, I may not get it done in time. ;-)

Characterization of breeds based on their biological type*
Limousin -- moderate growth
High lean, moderate marbling, high milk, moderate puberty
Simmental -- very high growth
Maine Anjou -- very high growth
Gelbvieh -- very high growth
Brown Swiss -- high growth
Moderate lean, moderate marbling, high milk, early puberty
South Devon -- moderate growth
Tarentaise -- moderate growth
Pinzgauer -- moderate growth
Moderate lean, low marbling, high milk, very late puberty, heat tolerant
Brahman -- high growth
Sahiwal -- low growth
Low lean, high marbling, moderate milk, moderate puberty
Angus -- moderate growth
Hereford -- moderate growth
Red Poll -- low growth
Devon -- low growth
Very high milk, high marbling, early puberty
Holstein -- moderate lean, high growth
Jersey -- low lean, low growth

simangus23":9t1kxd5n said:
Characterization of breeds based on their biological type*
Limousin -- moderate growth
High lean, moderate marbling, high milk, moderate puberty
Simmental -- very high growth
Maine Anjou -- very high growth
Gelbvieh -- very high growth
Brown Swiss -- high growth
Moderate lean, moderate marbling, high milk, early puberty
South Devon -- moderate growth
Tarentaise -- moderate growth
Pinzgauer -- moderate growth
Moderate lean, low marbling, high milk, very late puberty, heat tolerant
Brahman -- high growth
Sahiwal -- low growth
Low lean, high marbling, moderate milk, moderate puberty
Angus -- moderate growth
Hereford -- moderate growth
Red Poll -- low growth
Devon -- low growth
Very high milk, high marbling, early puberty
Holstein -- moderate lean, high growth
Jersey -- low lean, low growth

Where did you get this information and what point are you trying to make?

The point is that Jersey's have low lean high marbling (ya know that intramuscualr fat that makes your prime rib taste so good?)
But very low growth.
The question was
"hello does anybody know what the diffrence is on the jersey steer meat i have heard that it has yellow fat and is a sweeter meat" ?

simangus23":3bcw9vag said:
The point is that Jersey's have low lean high marbling (ya know that intramuscualr fat that makes your prime rib taste so good?)
But very low growth.
The question was
"hello does anybody know what the diffrence is on the jersey steer meat i have heard that it has yellow fat and is a sweeter meat" ?

So where did you get the information you posted? Did you make it up?

Heck no I didnt make it up --- only an okie would make up stuff to post when other people are sincerely trying to get good information. Okie ---do you really think that no one on Earth has ever figured out what all the cattle breeds best traits are??
(i.e. marbling, growth rates, leanness etc..) Whatever it is you are smoking over there ya need to share-- pull your head out of your rope bag pard

Simangus

Simangus please try and be a bit more professional and refrain from the name calling etc. Most of us here are just beggars trying to show other beggars where we found bread. No need to sprinkle it with BS before handing it to another.

I think the yellow fat thing is more pronounced in an all grass situation. I ate jersey beef in New Zealand that had been fed nothing but grass and the fat was very yellow but the beef was excellent.

Goddy

I always thought that age had a lot to do with the color of the fat ie. the older the yellower

All we eat is Jersey Angus cross meat and its the best I have eer had. When we go out to eat we don't order steaks casue we are usually jsut disapointed. We have also eaten straight jerse yand the meat is pretty much the same. Compared to meat in grocery store i can't tell much difference in color of fat. It helpsalso if you have a really good secret marinating sauce that you put them in for a couple hours. Really makes them tender that you can cut it with a fork or butter knife. Just my thoughts on it though.

Latest posts