Jersey/Gelbvieh

Help Support CattleToday:

my son breeds cows for folks as a sideline.
He stopped by yesterday after breeding jersey cow not too far from me....
says that here lately he has been getting a lot of calls from folks with one or two jersey cows.
he is keeping some Jersey semen in the tank now....

bigbluegrass":3ko742ib said:
HOSS":3ko742ib said:
I have a Jersey x Gelb cross steer headed to the feeding pen now. Excellent eating. The gelbvieh adds muscle while the jersey adds the marbling. I have kept 2 heifers of this cross and sold them as replacement heifers. I have had NO problems getting takers. The feedback from them has been that they make excellent performing, docile mothers.
Hoss - you don't have any pictures of the steer or heifers do you? I would like to see how much of the dairy look Gelb can take out - at least with what you did.

I don't have any pics right now of a straight gelb sired steer but here is one sired by a Balancer:
IMG00330-20110929-1503.jpg

Here are some steaks from the above steer:
steaks.jpg

Here is a pic of a young (3 month old) Gelb sired heifer out of a Jersey cow. She was sold to a guy to use as a momma cow in his herd. She is now bred to a BA bull.
SU1HMDAxMTEtMjAxMTA1MzAtMTMzMS5qcGc.jpg

pdfangus":2463pfh3 said:
I must say that heifer looks pretty good to be out of a Jersey.....

Seems that no matter what you can't knock that Jersey "ring" from around their muzzle. It shows through even when they are mature.......at least the ones I have seen are that way. It will be faint but still there.

Thanks for posting the photos Hoss! They all still show some Jersey for sure, but look very beefy as well. The Gelbvieh put some meat on them, like I was hoping it would. I will see how the cross goes here and post some pictures when I get them to that point.

Latest posts