Jersey/Gelbvieh

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbluegrass

Reaction score
I have a Jersey nurse/milk cow. Looking for ideas on what to breed her to next. I just started with AI so there are many options. In the past she just got bred to whatever bull I had. Now I can actually have a plan! I would like to stay with bulls that ABS has. Right now she is bred to an Angus bull (Wave). I also have a Hereford and Red Angus in the tank.

The Gelbvieh bull I have is Top Brass. I thought maybe that cross could work for a few reasons. Any heifers should still milk plenty to make a replacement nurse/milk cow. His milk numbers are pretty high (33). I do need to replace the Jersey since she is getting older (6 years now), so I am breeding for a good replacement milk/nurse cow. From what I have read his daughters have nice udders. The Jersey is not horrible, but she has a typical larger udder. She also has bottle teats to some extent. Great for milking, not so good for calf nursing. The Jersey/Gelbvieh cow should throw much beefier calves if crossed back to Angus or Hereford. Any bull calves from the Jersey/Gelbvieh cross should grow great and should make great eating. I don't plan to sell them at the salebarn - just all freezer beef. I think Hoss has posted on here about a Jersey/Balancer cross being great eating. So far all the Jersey cross I have had were good eating.

Does anyone see a problem with the calf size at birth? Top Brass CE is 115. BW is 0.6. This cow has had 5 calves and never had a problem. Normally takes her all of 10 minutes from start to finish.

Has anyone tried this cross before? Now don't jump on me about how worthless Jersey cows are. I know they aren't popular beef cows.

I haven't tried crossing Jersey's with anything yet, but I do have the crazy notion to buy some Jersey cows or heifers since I can find them cheaper than I beef cows or heifers and breed them to a nice moderate Hereford, Angus or Red Angus so I can build my numbers up much faster than I would be able to otherwise. I think Knersie posted here once about some JerseyXHereford animals he used to have.

I really like the heifers out of Jersey cow and Angus/or Hereford bull. My neighbor has Jersey x Black Angus cow, she's good cow always have decent calves. Our family friend where our bulls are staying at, he often have two or three jersey cows in his 800 head commerical herd.

I think it's a great cross for what you're wanting to do. And don't worry about the calving ease, jerseys are really resiliant and can really handle some big calves pretty easily.

i thought the gelbveih balancer was a jersey / gelbveih cross, ha ha just kidding. but all kidding aside i would not worry about her having a beef calf at that age, my wife's jersey had a straght jersey heifer this year and she is getting bred back to a predestined son that is out of a wyoming wind cow, so i should have my 3 way cross right there, she is raising 3 calves right now, her calf a stein and an angus red poll cross orphan, so she earns her keep.

As far as ABS bulls are concerned I would go with The Charolais bull Gridmaker. When I was kid I used to milk Jersey cows and the Charolais crossed on a Jersey always worked well enough to stick the Jersey Char cross in with the other Char cross calves at the auction market.

VLS_GUY":3a1pl05r said:
As far as ABS bulls are concerned I would go with The Charolais bull Gridmaker. When I was kid I used to milk Jersey cows and the Charolais crossed on a Jersey always worked well enough to stick the Jersey Char cross in with the other Char cross calves at the auction market.

I could have sworn that the title of this thread was something about a Jersey/Gelbvieh cross. Why do you guys always feel it is necessary to hijack the Gelbvieh threads with this stuff. If you will notice I and all the other GV folks do NOT do that to anyone elses breed threads.

bigbluegrass":23awo0wz said:
I have a Jersey nurse/milk cow. Looking for ideas on what to breed her to next. I just started with AI so there are many options. In the past she just got bred to whatever bull I had. Now I can actually have a plan! I would like to stay with bulls that ABS has. Right now she is bred to an Angus bull (Wave). I also have a Hereford and Red Angus in the tank.

The Gelbvieh bull I have is Top Brass. I thought maybe that cross could work for a few reasons. Any heifers should still milk plenty to make a replacement nurse/milk cow. His milk numbers are pretty high (33). I do need to replace the Jersey since she is getting older (6 years now), so I am breeding for a good replacement milk/nurse cow. From what I have read his daughters have nice udders. The Jersey is not horrible, but she has a typical larger udder. She also has bottle teats to some extent. Great for milking, not so good for calf nursing. The Jersey/Gelbvieh cow should throw much beefier calves if crossed back to Angus or Hereford. Any bull calves from the Jersey/Gelbvieh cross should grow great and should make great eating. I don't plan to sell them at the salebarn - just all freezer beef. I think Hoss has posted on here about a Jersey/Balancer cross being great eating. So far all the Jersey cross I have had were good eating.

Does anyone see a problem with the calf size at birth? Top Brass CE is 115. BW is 0.6. This cow has had 5 calves and never had a problem. Normally takes her all of 10 minutes from start to finish.

Has anyone tried this cross before? Now don't jump on me about how worthless Jersey cows are. I know they aren't popular beef cows.

I have a Jersey x Gelb cross steer headed to the feeding pen now. Excellent eating. The gelbvieh adds muscle while the jersey adds the marbling. I have kept 2 heifers of this cross and sold them as replacement heifers. I have had NO problems getting takers. The feedback from them has been that they make excellent performing, docile mothers.

HOSS":1i05fq01 said:
bigbluegrass":1i05fq01 said:

I have a Jersey x Gelb cross steer headed to the feeding pen now. Excellent eating. The gelbvieh adds muscle while the jersey adds the marbling. I have kept 2 heifers of this cross and sold them as replacement heifers. I have had NO problems getting takers. The feedback from them has been that they make excellent performing, docile mothers.

Geeez Hoss how do they ever survive without any Char or Sim in them. You must be doing something wrong!

I responded because the guy wanted to know what the best bull ABS had to breed to a Jersey cow in order to get an acceptable beef animal regardless of breed. The average ABS bull is stacked for calving ease and Grid maker is the best bull they have to add growth and muscle. Jersey cows tend to very easy calving and cam tolerate more birth weight on the bull side within reason.

Gators Rule":3bk1r0hx said:
3waycross":3bk1r0hx said:
Geeez Hoss how do they ever survive without any Char or Sim in them. You must be doing something wrong!

Well, now that Simmy was brought up.... :banana:

hahaha! gp ahead and trot out those sorry ole sims of yours! I need something to make fun of!

BTW what do you think of that Majestic bull. I like him even if he is a Simmy

3waycross":18pxjbws said:
Gators Rule":18pxjbws said:
3waycross":18pxjbws said:

Well, now that Simmy was brought up.... :banana:

hahaha! gp ahead and trot out those sorry ole sims of yours! I need something to make fun of!

BTW what do you think of that Majestic bull. I like him even if he is a Simmy

He's half the bull Jump Start is....LOL Majestic is a great looking bull, and good numbers if matched with the right females, but that's always the case. Jump Start is a great bull on paper, but I didn't like how he looked in 2009, and he matured into a bull that I like even less. Dislike how he is put together from front to back, but he does have nice numbers for a Simmy! :mrgreen:

I know someone that had several jersey cows and crossed them with hereford, great looking calves, the herf really stamped them, couldn't really tell they had jersey in them. sounds like top brass would be good for replacements though

brihop":g6pejtc3 said:
I know someone that had several jersey cows and crossed them with hereford, great looking calves, the herf really stamped them, couldn't really tell they had jersey in them. sounds like top brass would be good for replacements
though

Looking away from the fact that probably 75% of Jersey/Hereford crosses are brindles...

she had about 5 jersey cows, couple of guernseys and an outstanding herf bull. never saw a tiger calf, not one (guess she got lucky) most of them were a real deep red too. she kept a few daughters and they made good cows.

brihop":9c8tbez4 said:
she had about 5 jersey cows, couple of guernseys and an outstanding herf bull. never saw a tiger calf, not one (guess she got lucky) most of them were a real deep red too. she kept a few daughters and they made good cows.

Some herefords does not carry brindle genetics; that is why F1 jersey/Hereford crosses are not always "tigers".
Sorry for hijacking. :hide:

HOSS":ltk65etb said:
Hoss - you don't have any pictures of the steer or heifers do you? I would like to see how much of the dairy look Gelb can take out - at least with what you did.

Thanks everyone for all the replies. I do think I will try the Jersey Gelbvieh cross next year with Top Brass. I think the steers will make great eating. I think the female will make a great replacement milk/nurse cow. I am pretty excited about it - just have to wait until next year. :cowboy: After I get my replacement milk/nurse cow or two I might try another breed or two just for fun.

Latest posts