Jersey cow-any calving issues?

Help Support CattleToday:

LLBUX

Reaction score
My Jersey nurse cow will be calving in April to an Angus bull.
I have heard Jersey calves are not that thrifty (may just be bottle calves), and tend to die more often than other breeds.

Should I have any real concerns about calf thriftiness?.

The heifer I am about to calve out is from a Jersey cow and an Angus bull. She was up and nursing in no time and never slowed down. I wouldn't be too worried.

It seems Jersey cows seldom have difficulty calving no matter what they are bred to.
Pure Jersey calves can be a bugger to raise as bottle calves. Not so much unthrifty, just slow growing.
All pure breed calves have higher mortality rates than crossbred calves.
I'm betting you'll end up with a nice hardy jersey x angus calf with no problems.

I've bred jersey cows to charlois Bulls in the past. Never had a problem. The Charlois seems to mask the jersey in the cross pretty good. I haven't fooled with a nurse cow in years though.

I have had a couple Jersey cows to calve to Charolais bulls with no problems, most of the Jerseys I had were after I started using Angus and Hereford bulls, no problems from them either. The only time that I had calving difficulty from a Jersey cow, it was due to a leg being turned back, to which I don't hold it against the cow or bull.
The calves from the crossbred matings were always very vigorous at birth. I did notice that sometimes the AI calves by Jersey bulls would be a little weak and slow to get up and going. It very well could have been factors other than genetics such as nutrition issues.
I gave them colostrum and helped them to their feet, then they would be ok from there on.
On a side note, Jerseys heifer calves can start cycling very early.

Stocker Steve":35hf4f03 said:
Bigfoot":35hf4f03 said:
I've bred jersey cows to charlois Bulls in the past. Never had a problem. The Charlois seems to mask the jersey in the cross pretty good.

What color is a diluted Jersey?

Yellow/tan. At least the two I had were.

The ones I had were yellow/tan. I would be happy with a field full of them. Sometimes, the shape of their head would give them away, but many times you would have never guessed they had jersey in them.

Bigfoot":71pcurey said:
The ones I had were yellow/tan. I would be happy with a field full of them. Sometimes, the shape of their head would give them away, but many times you would have never guessed they had jersey in them.

Why is the big trend to bred Jerseys Limi?

Stocker Steve":2vv7zttv said:
Bigfoot":2vv7zttv said:

Maybe the thinking behind it is that the Limousin would add muscling to the Jersey calves.

Ky hills":23dpdy8f said:
Stocker Steve":23dpdy8f said:
Bigfoot":23dpdy8f said:

Maybe the thinking behind it is that the Limousin would add muscling to the Jersey calves.
And Jerseys will add more marbling to Limi.

Stocker Steve":64bsgro8 said:
Why is the big trend to breed Jerseys Limi?
Straight Jersey bull calves are worth so little.
Sexed semen gave jersey dairy herds option of filling replacement needs without taking a hit on jersey bull calves.
Along came the Wulf Limo program directly targeting large jersey herds with buy back program of jersey x limo calves.
Now the jersey x limo calves add so much value for big dairies to previously worthless bull calves and...BINGO!

Latest posts