Jersey Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
Back last spring I bought some Jersey bulls for my kids to bottle feed as a project and to sell for their personal bank accounts. There is one bull in the group that really stands out as a quality animal. He has been healthier and has grown faster than his counterparts. He is starting to really fill out nice. He will be a way above average specimen I think. I thought about having them hold on to this one and sell him as breeding stock (he is registered). I have heard that some dairy farms that run holstiens will use a jersey bull on their holstien heifers for easier calving and they still get a decent dairy type offspring. Would I get more bang for the buck doing it this way with this bull or just hauling him off to the sale barn and get whatever I can get?

Not to go off subject, Hoss, but Jersey's can be cantankerous critters. Got 3 busted ribs to prove it. Good luck, whichever way you decide to go. :cboy:

warpaint, I have had past experience (limited) with jersey bulls and it seemed to me that they were pretty normal until they get up to 2.5 years old or so and then they get real crusty. This bull will be sold at about 15 months or so. He is now about 10 months old and still as docile as a kitten.

Didn't mean to imply anything by earlier statement. Just sharing an event that happened to me some years ago. This particular bull was hand raised and about 18 mos. Something in the wind caught his attention I guess, and I didn't heed the signs. :lol:

HOSS":1vlza6i7 said:
Back last spring I bought some Jersey bulls for my kids to bottle feed as a project and to sell for their personal bank accounts. There is one bull in the group that really stands out as a quality animal. He has been healthier and has grown faster than his counterparts. He is starting to really fill out nice. He will be a way above average specimen I think. I thought about having them hold on to this one and sell him as breeding stock (he is registered). I have heard that some dairy farms that run holstiens will use a jersey bull on their holstien heifers for easier calving and they still get a decent dairy type offspring. Would I get more bang for the buck doing it this way with this bull or just hauling him off to the sale barn and get whatever I can get?

Are there any dairy farms in your area? If so, call and ask them if they'd be interested. Some people in my area used to use them on first calf heifers (beef cattle), so you might advertise him in the paper. Where did you buy him? Would they be interested in getting him back as a bull?

Our first "gomer" bull was a Jersey. He only lasted a year or so and got pretty bad tempered. Our longhorn "gomers" have worked out better.

If you feel that he's worthy of being a breeder-why don't you place an ad in your local farm paper if you have one or do some other type of ad for him? Most folks that would consider using a Jersey bull should already know about a dairy bull's disposition. You might even put up a note on the bulletin board at your local feed store or farm equipment shop etc. Anywhere that dairy folks would be able to find out that you have a nice young bull for sale.

Frankie":37e6pkm5 said:
Our first "gomer" bull was a Jersey. He only lasted a year or so and got pretty bad tempered. Our longhorn "gomers" have worked out better.

Frankie, do you vasectomise your gomer bulls or use a penis block of some type?

warpaint,

I took no offense at your comment. The more "gentle" jersey bulls that I have seen were raised with other calves in open pastures were they could estableish their own pecking order so to speak. The meanest bull I have ever laid eyes on was a big guernsey (sp?) that was bottle fed alone with no other cows. This thing was finally shot after going psycho. He weighed a good 2000 lbs. and he chased everybody and every thing, broke through fences and destroyed a barn. I watch ALL bulls like a hawk. I don't ever turn my back on any bull....even my red angus bull that shows no aggressive behavior. You never know when they will snap. I try and work them gentle and not press them very hard. Especially when they are in confined spaces.

I rented a jersey bull once for heifers, he was a 2 yr old. He was as calm and docile as a dog, would follow me around like a puppy. Neighbors bull jumped the fence and ended up breeding 1/2 of the heifers anyway so I guess I didn't get anywhere with renting him. He never tried to fight with the other bull either. His calves were solid black but sold much less the the others. I think it really depends more on the animal in question and how they were raised then the breed of the animal. Good lunk, no matter what you decide to do.

Kent":2ym5e5k4 said:
Frankie":2ym5e5k4 said:

Frankie, do you vasectomise your gomer bulls or use a penis block of some type?

Vasectomy. We had our first gomer, the Jersey, diverted. But all the others have had vasectomies. We buy a young bull calf that hasn't been breeding cows, get him dehorned as soon as possible. We'll usually wait on the surgery until we get to know his disposition, etc. It's not a cheap thing to create a gomer bull; we like to use one for at least three years and have done better than that on most of them.

Frankie":ckzdg065 said:
It's not a cheap thing to create a gomer bull; we like to use one for at least three years and have done better than that on most of them.

If you don't mind me asking, how much does your vet charge for the surgery?

A lot daires around here use jersey bulls to breed their heifers. Cross bred dairy calves used be of very little value now there a big demand for them.

I may be interested in your jersey bull, I have five jersey cows i keep around as nurse cows. I've been aiming to breed them to a jersey bull, to get me a couple of heifers.

Since the bull is registered, I would definitely keep him as a bull and try to sell him as a breeder. Lots of demand for dairy stock

Since the bull is registered, I would definitely keep him as a bull and try to sell him as a breeder

Registration means absolutely nothing when it come to the quality of an animal. I have seen many many registered POS cattle that were marketed as registered breeding stock.

Beef, I agree 100% with your comment about registration having nothing to do with quality. However, HOSS was asking how he can make the most money on his Jersey bull. There are many people that want a Jersey bull and the large majority will buy a registered bull when they buy a bull. There is a large difference in price potential between a jersey steer and a registered jersey bull. For the chance to make the most money, I would take my chances on selling a registered jersey bull over the steer.

Don't trust ANY bull - but particularly don't even think of trusting a Jersey bull any farther than you can throw the barn he is in with one hand!- - - -(with him still in the barn!)

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts